Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying while exhausted?

MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
edited January 2016 in General 2086 karma
Hey Everyone,

Hope your studies are going well! I just have a quick question, and would like to read about your experiences regarding the matter. I have been studying for the LSAT since mid-July (~6 months). When I first started, I could push out 6 hours pretty easily.
As of late, I have only been able to study for 1-3 hours/day. Not sure why, maybe it's my new, temporary schedule. All I know is, by around 8 P.M., I'm tired. Not tired as in "bored." But, slightly exhausted - think tipsy...slightly buzzed, what have you.

What do you guys and gals do in such a situation? Power through until your "set end time" (10 P.M for me)? Or, stop and rest for the rest of the night.
To give you an idea of what I mean by "tired," I often find myself reading a sentence two or three times before I can say "Ah, I get it!" Under optimal circumstances, I could glaze over the same sentence and understand it immediately.

Comments

• UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    349 karma
    It's better to get the extra rest and have 3 good hours of studying than not retain most of what you learned during the tired studying.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Go to bed.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    All I know is, by around 8 P.M., I'm tired. Not tired as in "bored." But, slightly exhausted - think tipsy...slightly buzzed, what have you.

Usually it depends on the 'type' of exhaustion I'm feeling. If I'm starting to zone out or get a little tired (after ~6 hours of studying), then I take a 30 min study break and try to find ways to wake myself up (calling a friend, taking a walk outside, food/coffee/water, even just staring out of a window really does a lot to help me, etc) and when I get back to studying I'm a lot more productive.

If I'm ever at a point where I have to reread something a few times just to know what I read, then its a done deal. The decision is essentially made for me and I go to bed. It's a hard decision to make, especially if you didn't get through all the things you planned on getting through. But in the end you just have to remind yourself that sleeping will benefit you way more than spending time trying to read something that you're able to understand less and less as time goes on.

You just have to learn your limits, and figure out ways to work around them without burning out but still giving your mind enough time to process everything you're learning. If you're rereading sentences, it might be a good idea to call it quits and go to bed. If you don't want that time to go to waste, then take notes and review them early in the morning after you wake up. It helps with retention.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Go to bed.
    +1.

I found preparing for the LSAT much more mentally draining than most other things. Most of the time, I can ignore being exhausted, but with the LSAT, pushing through became almost pointless. I made careless errors, stopped absorbing information, had to reread things, etc. I was wasting material instead of progressing, so I stopped.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the advice.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    From my personal experience - I took a whole week off, doing nothing LSAT. I came back and scored much higher. You need a break to let some stuff to sink in... So take a break and get some rest.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @mimimimi I gave that a shot. However, I only took 3 days off. I think I may need to finish up the portion of the curriculum that I am on, take a week off, and start again.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Go to bed.
    Yes, this!