Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do all method of reasoning questions contain flawed arguments?

time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
edited February 2016 in Logical Reasoning 276 karma
Do all method of reasoning questions contain flawed arguments? Or are there some valid arguments out there? I'm getting confused whether I'm suppose to look for the flaw or just how the argument functions as a whole or even BOTH. I'm not sure what kind of mindset to have for attacking method of reasoning questions.

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    There are some valid arguments where you are asked to identify the structure for the argument. Like you'll have "We know that Mike can take either the bus or the subway to school. The bus is not running today. However, Mike was seen at school, so he must have taken the subway" and they will ask you to identify how the argument proceeds to the conclusion (in this case by eliminating an alternative explanation)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Here's your mindset for all LR questions: Just answer the question. I know, it sounds like I just wasted your time. But, trust me, eventually you'll get to the point where you won't even have to think about which "method" you should use.
    That said, there can be valid arguments in MOR stimuli. That's why there are flawed MOR questions as well.
    You want to think of these in the abstract. MOR questions are perfect candidates for prephrasing. Like @runiggyrun pointed out, they usually present the answers with a verb.
    If they ask you to look for the method of reasoning, then look for the method of reasoning - what technique the individual uses to put forth their argument, how they present their argument, what they did to the other argument, etc.
    I don't think I have ever seen a correct AC pertaining to the authors flaw on a MOR question. Again, that's why we have flawed MOR questions.
  • time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
    276 karma
    Alright. Thank you! :)