Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video mount for camera to record myself doing an LR section?

nibs7985nibs7985 Member
in General 100 karma
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can use my iphone to record myself doing an LR section.

I'm particularly looking to focus my camera for a clear view of my paper in order to identify how long I am taking per question.
I think it would also be useful for other purposes as well, ie critiquing my LG method.

I'm trying to go for the same quality as we see with videos of other 7sagers doing logic games.

Does anyone know how they do it? Ie what camera they use, what mount they use for the camera etc.?

Thanks!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Most people I know use their iPhones. Ask @"Nicole Hopkins" or @allison.gill.sanford for a good mount recommendation.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    This works pretty well for me and it didn’t break the bank: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126JQ9G6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I remember @"Accounts Playable" mentioning he uses a selfie stick. I just bought one to record myself doing logic games, but I need to figure out how to mount it as well! Would love to see what other people use.

Side note: The cashier asked if I was going on a vacation. The look on her face when I told her what I was actually using it for was priceless.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited February 2016 477 karma
    I was hoping to use photo booth on my mac
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I would just use your phone, assuming it has enough storage space. I don't remember where I bought it (probably eBay) but I have a "gorilla pod" type tripod that's designed to be used with most phones. Works well and I can easily adjust the angles.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I am interest in recording myself as well:)
    @"Micaela_OVO" said:
    Side note: The cashier asked if I was going on a vacation. The look on her face when I told her what I was actually using it for was priceless.
    We are a wacky bunch:)
  • nibs7985nibs7985 Member
    100 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    This works pretty well for me and it didn’t break the bank: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126JQ9G6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    Looks pretty good, I may actually go for this. Thanks!

100 karma
    @"Micaela_OVO" said:
    I remember @"Accounts Playable" mentioning he uses a selfie stick. I just bought one to record myself doing logic games, but I need to figure out how to mount it as well! Would love to see what other people use.
    I got a selfie stick too. I was hoping I would be able to fix it in place somehow, but I realized I need a mount for sure.
    @"Micaela_OVO" said:
    LMAO. I can only imagine aha.
    100 karma
    @pritisharma
    @pritisharma said:
    I was hoping to use photo booth on my mac
    I just tried photobooth which seems like it'll work! However, for me, having a laptop on my desk while working is too distracting.
    100 karma
    100 karma
    @twssmith
    @MrSamIam said:

I would just use your phone, assuming it has enough storage space. I don't remember where I bought it (probably eBay) but I have a "gorilla pod" type tripod that's designed to be used with most phones. Works well and I can easily adjust the angles.
    awesome, I'll check it out
  • awyeah26awyeah26 Alum Member
    edited February 2016 75 karma
    I've been using OBS studio and my webcam to locally capture video and watch them using winamp. https://obsproject.com/

This way I use my hard disk to save the video instead of space on my phone...The webcam is just mounted to the top of my monitor and points almost straight downward to the page.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    This is really not a great solution, but I've done it by stacking a bunch of large books on my desk (I bought most of my LSAT tests in book form before I knew about the PDFs), and then putting my phone on top with the camera end out over the books. Had to adjust to make sure the camera focused on my paper and hand, but it worked okay. To my general embarrassment, I also tried to use an ace bandage to wrap the phone onto my own head (homemade go pro idea), but the bandage kept coming down over my eyes. Not the best idea for doing a section timed. My husband laughed at me a lot during this attempt. Tripod is probably the best solution if you can find one.
  • Fish0701Fish0701 Member
    133 karma
    Coming from a sports background I definitely know that recording and watching yourself perform can provide huge insights, but what exactly are you looking for when you record and watch yourself taking the LSAT?
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @allison.gill.sanford You are cracking me up - you took being "crafty creative" to a new level!!
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @Fish0701

I use it to see how long it takes me to do individual LR questions. My goal is 25 questions in 25 minutes, so if I spend 2 minutes on a question without skipping it, I don't get to eat dessert that night.

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @Fish0701 I think most people just record the page, not their face or anything like that. In addition to the timing it can help pinpoint other things like crazy skipping around a passage, sloppy rule notation in LG, lengthy times where nothing happens because you froze and so on. There are a few recordings of students doing games with JY's commentary and they seem very valuable. It is quite like having a coach critique your form... Of course for most people it's self critique but it would be fun to be able to send in your videos for an outside opinion.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" My goal as well on LR & hope to eat dessert. For LG, I know that people have used recordings during their tutoring sessions. For RC, I want to see the process of how I read the passage and how many times I return to the passage during the questions. My tripod arrived today - thanks @DumbHollywoodActor for link.

@Fish0701 Once I start recording, I will update with personal experiences:)
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    @twssmith I'm just glad my LSAT mania is appreciated here. I know you all would tape a camera to your head if I said it actually worked pretty well :)
  • helenharrishelenharris Alum Member
    72 karma
  • lschoolgolschoolgo Member
    274 karma
    why can't you use laptop webcam? I use my laptop webcam to record all the timed sections I take.
  • Jennifer 2021-1-1Jennifer 2021-1-1 Core Member
    204 karma

@Micaela_OVO said:

You make me laugh today, lol.