Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEASE HELP!! Which exam date should i choose?

paulchristianpaulchristian Alum Member
in General 14 karma
I have my mind set on going to law school in the Fall of 2017 and i want to know if i should be taking the test in september or december of 2016? Will this even make a difference? I dont want to take to test for June because i feel i can get better but i dont want to pass the deadline for next years admission.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Aim for fall. If you still don’t feel ready when the time comes, no big deal, withdraw and hold off for December. One thing that’s maybe more important to me than it really should be is early admissions. The good folks over at admissions have a little more flexibility on the front end of the cycle. It’s maybe only a small advantage to early applicants, but every bit helps. That being said, your score is a WAY more important factor. If you aren’t ready in the fall, you have to be able to recognize that and withdraw.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I always recommend that you should take the test when you feel most prepared. December is generally the latest you want to take the test for Fall admittance the following school, many people also take the February score for a retake and sometimes for their first take, depending on then school they are applying to. May schools have application deadlines and will accept the Feb Score, but I wouldn't recommend applying that late in the cycle

With a September test, you can apply to schools in October and early November, and with the December test you will apply in January.

The most important thing however is when you will be ready. There is no reason to take in September if you are not fully prepared and you'll have to wait for a December score for the schools to look at your application. If you live in a larger city, you have plenty of time to decide.

If it helps you focus your studies, plan for the September test and evaluate your progress in June and then register for whatever test you feel you will be most prepared for.

September 2016 LSAT Date. 8:30am, Saturday, September 24, 2016. Register by August 10, 2016.
    December 2016 LSAT Date. 8:30am, Saturday, December 3, 2016. Register by October 18, 2016
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Prep for September. Then take them both if need be.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    agreed with @Pacifico
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    I would recommend September over December. How long have you been studying? Have you started yet?
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Don't even think of registering to take the test until you are certain that you are ready. You don't register then study. You study, then register.
    Ask those of us who made that mistake...
    Aim for the September test and retake in December if need be. If anything, know that you're going to take it in September may help keep you out of the "I have plenty of time to study" mindset.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    To echo some of the great advice already on here - study hard, plan for the earlier test, but be on your own timeline. Take the test when you're actually ready and you are PTing in the range you hope to score in.
    The amount of impact the LSAT has on your future career is completely disproportionate; there are few corollaries in other professions, but for a legal career, your score will largely determine your choice of school, potential debt load/scholarships, and networks/employability after law school. If that means taking an extra year to get yourself in a great position with this test, it may very well be worth it.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @allison.gill.sanford said:
    Take the test when you're actually ready and you are PTing in the range you hope to score in.
    This. No one can tell you which exam you should take. Your job is to study hard--learn the fundamentals, drill, drill, and drill some more, and take every single PT you can get your hands on and blind review thoroughly. Everyone learns at a different pace and everyone starts at a different level. I studied for a year in total, and I do not regret carving out that much time out of my life because it was worth it. My diagnostic in December 2014 was a 147, and fast forward a year and a 23 point increase, I am headed to an amazing law school next year. I'm confident I would not be where I am today if I did not take every single exam ever released (1-75, A, B, C, Superprep 2, and the 3 Indian exams) and blind review them thoroughly. I also suggest that you join a study group, either online or in person. I joined the online Skype BR calls and I formed an in person study group with other 7sagers. It not only gives you different ways to approach questions, but it is beneficial to develop a network of people going through the same thing. Do yourself a favor and do not take the exam until you are completely ready. You will know when it is time.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    @alexandergreene93 thanks for posting your story - that is so inspiring for others to hear! Congrats and way to stay dedicated and see that 23 pt increase!
  • paulchristianpaulchristian Alum Member
    14 karma
    Great advice and thanks to everyone who replied
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Ditto on waiting to take the test only when you are completely ready! At least for me during the study process (over a year so far), as I dig deeper into the curriculum and PTing - I realize the more I do not know. The process for me has been like peeling an onion to get through all of the layers - and yes! it can make me want to cry at times but the support within this community has helped me immediately get fired back up and ready to go back into attack mode. All the best and know we are here:)
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    every single exam ever released (1-75, A, B, C, Superprep 2, and the 3 Indian exams)
    Wow!! just curious how the Indian compared to US releases.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @twssmith said:
    Wow!! just curious how the Indian compared to US releases.
    The Indian PTs can be found on the following link: https://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/free-downloads/logic-games-practice/
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Thank you @paulchristiantorres for you post! Because of you, I just learned of 3 extra PrepTests to use to study:) Look forward to seeing you as you progress through the curriculum!

@alexandergreene93 Congratulations on your accomplishments! Thank you for sharing your inspiring personal journey and additional resources for all of us to use to reach our goals:)