Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finished core curriculum, now what?

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
in General 27809 karma
First of all, high five!
So now what do I do? Take a break? Drill? PT? Start over and do it again? What have some of y’all done to transition out of the curriculum?

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Congratulations! Now, you get to take a test and blind review it to find out where your theory is not translating into practice. Work on those things, and then repeat until target score is achieved (hooray!) or until burned out (take a break, then start again later).
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Do you have the Cambridge PDFs? I used those to drill by question type/difficulty after finishing the "curriculum" (came to 7Sage a bit later into my process and didn't follow 7Sage's curriculum to the tee) and it seemed to help.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    I made a quick video addressing this:
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Well, that’s what I’d call a thorough response. Thanks guys!
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma
    JY should have been nominated as the next supreme court justice.
  • katherine.tkatherine.t Alum Member
    101 karma
    "What no. Who cares?"
    - JY's opinion on 4/5 Supreme Court cases
    27809 karma
    So just took my first post curriculum PT. It is literally killing me to not check my score. And by literally, I mean metaphorically. I’m guessing a range of -9 to -16, but what I’m really concerned with at this point is a 180 BR. Lots of room to improve on games, so will begin my fool proofing right away. Time was not a huge issue, so that’s encouraging, but I still want to shave about 5 minutes off each section to have some room to breathe/double check my work. All in all, I feel good with where I’m at, so hopefully my BR and timed score will justify that.
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    137 karma
    Let us know how it went once you're all done with the BR!
    27809 karma
    @skaplan9190 Happy to report that I hit my target score with a 180 BR. Looks like it’s time to fool proof some games!

I’d already drank heavily from the 7Sage cool aid, but I think I’d like some more please.
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    137 karma
    wow that's fantastic! congrats and keep it up :)
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    180 BR is awesome! I'm hoping to pound off the 15.5% I have left by Sunday!
    4181 karma
    Wow! Did you BR only questions circled or go through every question?
    edited March 2016 27809 karma
    @danielznelson
    I think you’re only supposed to do the ones you circle, so that’s all I did. Full disclosure though, I did have two confidence errors, but it didn’t bump my score down from 180. I checked my confidence errors and they were really dumb mistakes, which I really hate. I’d much rather miss something confusing because I have no idea how to work to improve on careless errors.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    edited March 2016 1762 karma
    @"Cant Get Right"
    Damn, you must be a baby wizard. Great job!!
    27809 karma
    Not going to lie @nanchito, I feel absolutely amazing right now. I'm allowing it for today only, haha. I've been at this for a long, long time and I've learned the secret to the LSAT. These PT/BR numbers do not reflect my intelligence at all, but I do feel like they reflect my discipline and work ethic. That's what it's all about. Work hard, don't cut corners, don't lie to yourself. That's all the LSAT is. Now I've just got to keep myself from being content. I know I'll plateau if I relax. I've really only just started.
    4181 karma
    That's amazing! I have been doing complete, question-by-question BR's, because I do tend to under circle, though perhaps I should just re-prioritize what I'm circling.
    4181 karma
    Yeah. Looking back at the BR process laid out in the curriculum, I'm definitely under-circling. And in terms of avoiding careless mistakes, it comes with time. I myself tended to make at least a few per test, and while I still fall to this trap every once in a while, I've gotten much better at avoiding them. Most of it for me comes down to intuition - I have a certain feeling that what I'm doing isn't what I should be doing, haha. This is why I decided to do question-by-question regardless as to whether or not I circled, but I really shouldn't be doing that. I plan to start writing down the mistakes I've made (e.g. not reading the actual question thoroughly, forgetting a rule in a LG) in order to more consciously avoid the ridiculous mistakes I make. This probably doesn't pertain exactly to your confidence errors, but it may and has for me in the past. While I haven't written down mistakes yet, reminding myself of some of the errors I just looove to make has helped me a lot.
    27809 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    I plan to start writing down the mistakes I've made (e.g. not reading the actual question thoroughly, forgetting a rule in a LG) in order to more consciously avoid the ridiculous mistakes I make.
    This is a brilliant idea, and I’m totally going to steal it.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" High-five for your 180 BR! Based on your responses in the forums, I knew you were up there!
    4181 karma
    I've been keeping mental tabs of frequency as well, though I really just need to make it concrete already. For example, I noticed that with several Strengthening questions, I would "strengthen" the WRONG argument, because I rushed through the actual question and didn't notice that the main argument was actually being specifically asked about. Definitely never making that dumb of a mistake ever again.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" Good job!

Note for others: you're definitely NOT supposed to review the un-circled questions on BR. That way when you finally check your answers, you give yourself the opportunity to uncover over-confidence errors.
    4181 karma
    Thanks for the reminder. I am unquestionably over-confident (or more accurately, careless) over some questions I originally believe to not be of issue.