Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

September 2016 BR Group

Comments

• CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma
    I would like to participate! It's great to finally find such a study group... and I'm really new here.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @cocozhang9950 said:
    I'm really new here.
    Just make sure you’ve worked through the curriculum before you burn any PTs!
    476 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" Thanks... I am a little bit confused in terms of how this fits with the course though. I was checking the study schedule of the study packages, and it appears that the schedule includes all the PT tests...Does that conflict with this BR group?
    27821 karma
    @CocoZhang Yes and no. So, the curriculum does list the PTs, but most people consider that a separate study phase, distinct from the "core” curriculum which includes the lessons and strategies and everything. So, no, there is no inherent conflict with this group; you would just follow the group’s schedule rather than the schedule laid out in the curriculum.

However, if you are just starting the curriculum, it is going to be really difficult for you to adequately prepare for the September LSAT. One of the most common and most fatal mistakes LSAT students make is to underestimate the difficulty of this test. It is an absolute monster. I made that mistake and I paid for it dearly. The people who perform best, who actually achieve their target scores, are the people who show this test the respect it demands. Mastering the curriculum before PTing is absolutely essential. And mastery of the curriculum takes a long, long time- I’d guess somewhere in the neighborhood of six months is probably close to typical; and, of course, that is followed by frequent returns throughout the PT/BR phase.

You’ve made a great decision to join 7Sage. I’ve used a lot of study programs and 7Sage is far and away the best. So make the most of it and give it the time it needs. It’s easy to get a test date in mind and aim your study schedule at it, but no one does themselves any favors by doing that. Here’s what you do if you want to reach your target score: Begin by, however long it takes, mastering the core curriculum. Then go through a few PT/BRs and see if you’re in the ballpark. If you’re not, you didn’t master the curriculum and you’ve got to go back. If you are, then you can really move into the PT/BR phase and start thinking about a test date.

I hope this doesn’t come across as discouraging. This test is totally conquerable. But if you want to do it, you’ve got to do it right. I’ve made every mistake in the book. One of the very first lessons is about the most common LSAT mistakes, and it reads like my personal LSAT resume. I’ve been there. Do this thing right and destroy this test. And welcome to 7Sage!
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    edited March 2016 167 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" Could you elaborate on what you mean by "mastering the core curriculum"? I am going through the lessons, taking notes, making sure I understand everything. On the few practice questions I do that the syllabus provides I do really well, but I can't gauge my real understanding of the material without going into PT territory. I assumed that the way you master is material is by doing the PTs after learning all the fundamentals. Since you mentioned to master is before the PT phase, I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to do so. Thanks!
    27821 karma
    @Mookittyy, I guess I mean really do the work and feel confident that you understand everything. It’s really easy to go through the valid inferences, for example, and just go through the lessons without really learning them. There are moments in the curriculum when you really have to stop advancing and really buckle down and study. Simply completing the curriculum is necessary but not sufficient, lol. So when I say mastering the curriculum, that’s what I mean- doing all the work that goes along with completing the curriculum. No matter how well you master the curriculum, PTs are going to expose weaknesses. I think for most people, returning to the curriculum is a constant during the PT/BR phase. Mastering the curriculum is very different from mastering the test. But if you advance to PTing before you’ve really put in the work, you’re just going to waste PTs.
    edited March 2016 476 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" Thanks for your advise and I understand your concerns. I took a LSAT test before and I have been studying for the September 2016 test since January. I came across 7 sage when I was searching for some study group. I will be taking the core curriculum first but I am not very worried that I cannot master the core curriculum before the PT/BR, i.e. early May.
    27821 karma
    Right on @CocoZhang, I was in a similar situation with finding 7Sage after having studied for a long time before. It definitely made the core curriculum go by relatively fast.
    edited March 2016 476 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" Well I guess I have one major issue though... I am currently working in United Arab Emirates, which means that I have an about 9-hour time difference. And I see that you are talking about doing the PT/BR at 5-5:30PM EST, which is about 1-1:30AM in Abu Dhabi. I don't know if this can be solved...
    Guess I have to consult the lead of this BR Group @bjphillips5
    27821 karma
    Ouch @CocoZhang. Yeah, that’s going to be tough to accommodate. I haven’t attended any of the BR groups from previous schedules, but I can imagine a few ways you may could still benefit from them, even if you are not able to attend. Of course, the main idea of the BR is to take the time to really work through uncertainties and to really figure them out and understand them. Before the group meets, I think the plan is to BR on our own. Then we come together to work through it in order to help and learn from each other. It might be impractical depending on how long each session takes, but we could record for you. Obviously you wouldn’t be able to interact or contribute, but most of the more difficult questions, I’m sure, will be discussed in detail and you could benefit from that. I think we could also open an ongoing group thread which we maybe designate as just for discussing individual questions- a sort of question by question meeting minutes- and that would allow folks like you to participate on their own time. I’m sure there are other ways as well, so hopefully we’ll get some others jumping in with suggestions.
  • LostInLawLawLandLostInLawLawLand Alum Member
    34 karma
    Would 8:00 AM PST on a Sunday work? @CocoZhang
    476 karma
    @LostInLawLawLand yes, both Saturday and Sunday 8:00 AM PST will work for me :D
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I'm in tentatively because I'm still getting through the curriculum. This is going a lot slower than I thought it would be.
    27821 karma
    @sweetsecret said:
    This is going a lot slower than I thought it would be.
    This can be discouraging, but it’s actually really great. It goes a lot slower than everyone thought it would- for everyone who is doing it right. It is always tempting to force your prep into your timeline, but of course, it is your timeline that must adjust to your prep. So keep at it, and be happy knowing that by letting it take as long as it takes; you’ve fulfilled one of many necessary conditions of proper LSAT prep.
  • time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
    edited March 2016 276 karma
    How long does this typical BR group session last? And am I supposed to BR myself before and wait until the group BR day to look at my score? Ha. I would be too tempted to look at my score!
    27821 karma
    I’m not sure how long to expect the session to last, but of course, everyone is free to come and go as they need. And yes, you definitely want to BR on your own first. It is agonizing to not check your score ASAP, so I suspect a lot of people will give in. For me, I’m going to try not to because BRing isn’t really effective when you know the answer. I would encourage everyone not to score, but if you do, you just can’t say things like, “No guys, I KNOW it’s E.” The June group has been scoring everything at the end as a group, so I suspect we will continue that practice.
  • Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    171 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I've recently become discouraged at the pace of my preparation. Thank you for renewing my faith in this process. The advice you offer here, and elsewhere, is invaluable.
    edited March 2016 27821 karma
    Thanks @"Keane Xavier" , managing discouragement is a big part of this process. A really big part of it for me has been staying active on here. I’ve come to realize that we’re all experiencing the same things. Knowing that everyone has those low moments, hits those plateaus, and experiences reversals has been essential to me.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    I think @"Cant Get Right" needs a username change to CAN Get Right! :P
    edited March 2016 27821 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" I’m pretty sure there’s some kind of existential fallacy tied up in “Can’t,” so maybe something without it would be easier for those of us who want to avoid that as much as possible. Maybe when September scores are released I’ll be able to change it to Got Right!
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    edited March 2016 167 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    managing discouragement is a big part of this process. A really big part of it for me has been staying active on here. I’ve come to realize that we’re all experiencing the same things. Knowing that everyone has those low moments, hits those plateaus, and experiences reversals has been essential to me.
    This, a thousand times this. This is exactly what I have realized as well. I think a big part of it is if you don't know anyone in "real life" that is also going through the experience of preparing to write the LSAT, they don't truly understand what you are going through. Sure, they may think you are studying to write an exam, but they don't understand that what you are preparing to face is like something out of David vs. Goliath. Connecting with people who are going through the same experience, who truly understand where you deepest struggles and worries are coming from, it makes the battle with discouragement a lot more manageable.

To throw in an example, I took the LSAT (way under-prepared) for the first time last October. I set my goal at 160-165. I wrote a 150. Although I was expecting a bad result, I got pretty depressed because I was kicking myself for not preparing properly and wasting a precious attempt before I was even close to being ready to write it. My parents, two of my biggest supporters, simply didn't get it. They congratulated me on getting so close to my goal, and that I only needed a few more points. I tried to explain to them that getting my score to 160+ would require months more of hard work, and that 150 really isn't that close to my goal at all. I still don't think they understand, really. It's because of the mental toll that preparation takes on you. I've read before that to do well on the LSAT, you're going to have to literally live in LSAT world until you overcome it, but I didn't believe it until I realized the gap in understanding between "outsiders" and "LSATers".
    27821 karma
    Beautifully said @Mookittyy.
  • time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
    276 karma
    @Mookittyy said:
    Sure, they may think you are studying to write an exam, but they don't understand that what you are preparing to face is like something out of David vs. Goliath.
    Yup.
    @Mookittyy said:
    I still don't think they understand, really.
    Another yup!

Cheers everyone!!!!!!!
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Count me in!
  • kelseyLVkelseyLV Member
    8 karma
    Very interested in this BR group! Will keep an eye for updates.
    27821 karma
    Will add you to the list @kelseyLV and make sure to tag you on future posts.
  • 180pronto180pronto Free Trial Member
    58 karma
    Any idea where we can get all the PT's needed for this group?
    27821 karma
    https://7sage.com/discussion#/discussion/2770/list-of-affordable-pts-paperback-hard-copy

Here's a very comprehensive resource for that compiled by @"Dillon A. Wright" who is the coolest.
  • 180pronto180pronto Free Trial Member
    58 karma
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Purple Paris" said:
    How long does this typical BR group session last?
    Usually they're 2-3 hours.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Mookittyy said:
    managing discouragement is a big part of this process. A really big part of it for me has been staying active on here. I’ve come to realize that we’re all experiencing the same things.
    Amen y'all. @"Cant Get Right"
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    who is the coolest.
  • SkywalkerSkywalker Alum Member
    214 karma
    My dear friends, have we decided on 5/2 as the official start date? I thank you all for the inspiration and support.
    edited April 2016 27821 karma
    Hey @Skywalker , we're working on finalizing the schedule now and should be able to release something finalized soon. Will make sure to tag you so you won't miss it. Thanks for following up, I can't wait to get started!
  • brianb589brianb589 Alum Member
    15 karma
    Count me in as well.
    27821 karma
    Got you down @brianb589 .
  • SteFunny-1-1-1SteFunny-1-1-1 Core Member
    224 karma
    Hey everyone! I am interested in this group as well. Planned on taking the June exam but funny thing about plans, they are always changing. :)
    27821 karma
    Will add you to the list @SVICTORIA . We should have a finalized schedule soon, and I'll be sure to tag you in the post.
  • Student...Student... Member
    298 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Please tag me in the finalized schedule too. Thanks!
    You got it @Galapagos.1001
  • 111 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Please tag me as well! Thanks for taking the lead for us!
    27821 karma
    Welcome aboard @7JRBG180 !
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    I'm in!
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    i would be interested. the damn lsat is on my birthday.
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    I wanted to pick up on a comment @Mookittyy mentioned above, which is that he or she became depressed after posting a much lower score than hoped for in the actual exam. I have all along intended to take the June exam, as practically speaking, that timeframe is much better for me than September. While I know that having more time to practice will undoubtedly help my score, I'm wondering what the group's thoughts are as to the downsides of taking the test in June. I wonder if actually taking it will give me the insights to know that I can handle the stress, etc. Or is the tradeoff of hating myself for a poor score not worth the experience of the real exam?
    27821 karma
    @rachel This is something I, unfortunately, can attest to from lots of experience. Ultimately, what should determine if you test or not is if you feel ready. I took my first test knowing I was not ready. I justified it by telling myself that even if I didn't get the score I wanted it would still be good experience and would make the next test less stressful since I would have been there before. What happened in reality was that I just wasted a test. If anything, my next test was even more stressful because I was worried that I would only have one chance left if I screwed it up this time. Which is, of course, exactly what happened. In my opinion, your first attempt is as low a stress level as you will get. So make sure you make it count and don't waste it by going in there before you're ready.
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    Thanks @"Cant Get Right" . That's the perspective I was hoping to find on here!
    27821 karma
    Yeah @rachel , my LSAT resume reads like 7Sage's lesson on all the worst possible LSAT mistakes. By the time this is over, I think the only mistake I'll not have made is wasting my third take. If you're ever worried you're about to make an LSAT mistake, feel free to ask me, I've been there and done that!
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    Hey everyone! So, I initially planned on taking in June but would rather postpone to September. I am still doing the CC but will be finished by May. That said, I will probably join in on the BR activities later in the month. Are participants required to go to every BR session?
    Not at all @"Darth Jurist" . We’re here whenever you can make it.