Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Reviewing LR in a group

Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited April 2016 in Logical Reasoning 2098 karma
I just formed a in person BR group with one other person. Given the fact that our meeting are relatively short cannot be extended. Could you tell me how the BR group process can be improved?

We use LR sections from PT 1-35, we take one section together and BR the section after a 5 minutes break; because our meeting are about two hours long we only manage to go through those questions that our answers differ from each other (usually 9 to 10 questions) and leave the other questions untouched.

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    If it's just your "together" time that is precious and not extendable, not your time in general, you can try and take the section separately beforehand, whenever it's convenient to each of you. That would add ~40 minutes of actual BR to the session, and would allow you to go through 4-5 extra questions - that's already half a section, so would most likely hit all the questions where one of you wasn't sure.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited April 2016 27809 karma
    Yeah, I would recommend doing the sections on your own and then actually doing an individual BR beforehand as well. Blind Reviewing is a really intensive and time consuming process. To do it right you’ve just got to allow enough time. And I think that would actually enhance the group BR as well. You can go over the ones you each personally BR’d and review why you were unsure initially and then how you arrived at what you ultimately did. That provides great insights. First, you’ve got to really understand it if you’re going to have to explain it. Second, it’s always good to see other people’s processes. They may do something you never thought of which you can adopt and use effectively. And then the real fun will happen when you have conflicting BR answers. Those are the ones you really want to be able to spend your time on. Debate who’s right. Break it down together and find what you did differently and where the mistake/s were made that led to the wrong answer/s.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @runiggyrun you are like my personal mentor any question I ever asked on discussion forum you answered it :)

Also @"Cant Get Right" thanks for answering almost every question that appeared on forum.

I will try to do the section before BR session but there might be one or two days between taking the section and the meeting as we do not have a fixed weekly schedule. Do you think that would reduce the BR benefit?
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Having a day or two in between might actually help the BR - you're more likely to forget your initial bias and look at the question with fresh eyes. If you have the willpower to not check the answers, go for it!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    Having a day or two in between might actually help the BR - you're more likely to forget your initial bias and look at the question with fresh eyes. If you have the willpower to not check the answers, go for it!
    Agreed. I actually like not being entirely sure what my initial answer was. I like to be far enough removed that my BR is unbiased, but close enough that afterwards I can remember why I chose what I did.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @nader.parham said:
    Do you think that would reduce the BR benefit?
    Nope, not at all. Also consider (if you haven't already) keeping a BR journal and writing down the reasons why the wrong answers on wrong, and the right answer was right, doing this for the answers you miss under BR be sure to include what you original thought process was too. Is extremely helpful, as you can see what you thought, where you went wrong, and then the correct reasoning written in your own words.

Its time consuming but SO worth it!
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    Thanks guys I got it I will adjust the BR group accordingly and see how it will go. This discussion was really helpful to get some new idea on improving the BR process
  • The AviatorThe Aviator Member
    69 karma
    Great insights guys!