Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How should I use my PTs for my June take?

cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
in General 730 karma
I have PTs 63-77 fresh and ready to use between now and June. Since I want to use all of them, that's about 2 per week. I figure I'll keep doing 1 per week, with the occasional 2 per, through my final exams in early May.

Also, should I use a couple PTs in the 70s to get acquainted with the subtle shifts in test composition that many people say characterize the most recent tests? The pros are the aforementioned, plus devoting substantial time to figuring out the pattern games that have apparently come back with a vengeance. The con, of course, is burning the most useful preptests more than a month before test day.

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Yes, you should try and get exposure to the 70's sooner rather than later, so you'll have the option of really working on the weaknesses and potentially retaking some of the 70's if you find that the changes are giving you trouble. There are 8 weeks left till the exam, so try to do one PT from the 70's every week, just to make sure you cover them all by exam time. Add the 60's as time allows. I'm not sure how much you can drill the pattern/miscellaneous games, as the two that appeared in the 70's had nothing in common with each other - one hinged on a single huge inference, after which it could be solved in a couple of minutes, and the other seemed to depend more on a general common sense understanding of the premises and/or enough time to try out the answer choices. It helped that both games only had 5 questions each.
    Figuring out a timing strategy when you encounter an unusual game might be more useful than drilling the games per se.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    @runiggyrun thanks for your advice. I was wary of burning the most sacred PTs at the wrong time but I'm inclined to agree that it's better to smooth out any rough areas ASAP. I've already hit my target score several times on PTs from the late 50s and early 60s, so let's hope that translates to the newer tests.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    edited April 2016 1128 karma
    @cmelman95 it's great you are hitting your target range! I echo @runiggyrun and also would suggest you front load the 70s series now in your PTs so you have the time to go over them more thoroughly (even perhaps do some retakes), and if you don't finish all of the 60s series because you're focused on the 70s, that would be fine (and probably advantageous). Maybe save one fresh PT in the 70s for your last test that you will thoroughly BR before the administration. Also, watch the burn out. Don't sacrifice your overall peace of mind and stamina in order to get those last few PTs done. You won't really retain a lot of new info in the last week (or even two) leading up to the test, so that time becomes more about keeping your skills sharp and maintaining the rhythm of taking tests. Good luck!
    730 karma
    @allison.gill.sanford thanks for weighing in. It's great to get some advice from people who've been in my position before. I think if I keep hitting my target through the 70s I'll leave some tests in the 60s undone. Like you said, at a certain point you can't learn much in a short span of time.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I think the really tricky games are from 72 and 77. I'm taking in September, but my plan is to knock those out so I can get those games into my foolproofing rotation as early as I can. Might be a good place to start.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Yeah, the trickier pattern games are on the comeback, it seems. Definitely worth taking a look at the harder and irregular games in the 70s. Though as soon as we make predictions about the LSAC's machinations, they change it up, so who knows.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @cmelman95 Please join us for Blind Review sessions on Saturday nights at 8pm EST.

The June test takers group is building momentum especially with 7Sage providing Sage Jimmy @"Quick Silver" directing our blind review sessions.
    This week will be PT 69 - thanks to @"Nicole Hopkins" rearranging our schedule to focus on more current tests with less than 8 weeks out.
    Hopefully it will work in your schedule and look forward to seeing you on Saturday:)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @twssmith said:
    The June test takers group is building momentum especially with 7Sage providing Sage Jimmy @"Quick Silver" directing our blind review sessions.
    Oh perfect!
    730 karma
    @twssmith ahh I just took PT 70 today but hopefully our schedules will sync up soon enough!