Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went from 150 on initial diagnostic to 157 on first PT since

danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
edited April 2016 in General 200 karma
Hi all,

I just took my first practice exam since taking the initial 2007 prep test. I got a 150 before the curriculum and now I'm about halfway through the curriculum and got a 157. I wanted to take a practice test because I was starting to get demoralised and wondering if all this studying was working.

This test, I did well on the games (70% accuracy) and much better on the reading comp. than last time (78%). My goal is to just get over a 160 for the June test, as the schools I'm looking at are not 'the best' just in the top 100. Is this a good improvement? I thought I'd get much higher, as I've been putting in a lot of hours and practicing. Ugh. LSAT is stressing me!

Comments

• Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    You should be proud of your improvement! One of the biggest mistakes you can make while studying for this exam is comparing yourself to other people. I've made that mistake before, and it's not great for one's self-esteem. Some people study for a few months to reach their goal score. Others study well over a year. Don't rush the process. It takes as long as it takes. Keep pushing through the curriculum. You'll see even more gains during the PT phase with thorough BR.

Best of luck!! :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I think that's pretty good considering you're only half way through the curriculum. I would encourage you not to burn any more PTs until you're done though, but I totally understand the impulse!

Putting everything together takes time. June is coming up fast, and you're not going to have much time to PT after finishing the curriculum. I think 160 is doable, but once you've started PTing for real, if you're not consistently breaking into the 160s, maybe think about September.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I think a 7 point improvement after half of the curriculum is very encouraging. The only less encouraging part is that you're taking June and you've not finished the curriculum yet, so you might not have enough time to do sufficient PTs and BRs to truly reap the benefits of the curriculum. It's still possible to hit 160 in June, but if you don't, please know that it would be more a reflection of the short timeline rather than your true "ceiling"
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    The only less encouraging part is that you're taking June and you've not finished the curriculum yet
    That's exactly why I decided to write the Sept LSAT. The only reason why I would have preferred June is because it happens later in the day, but I would rather spend time with the curriculum and have enough time to do plenty of PTs before I take the test. Of course, if things go bad, I have December to rely on.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @danilphillips I got encouraged by your improvement :) , so I think you should be too, I think pushing it to September will give you enough time to do the bundle as well to get to the sweet spot of -1 or -0 in LG on top of doing tons of PT and BR.

Congrats and good luck with your studies
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Head down and keep it up, thats a great improvement and like others have said, test when youre ready, not because a test date is coming up. Rushing to PTs can cost you learning the fundamentals, so take your time.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    A 7 point improvement isn't bad at all, especially when you consider that you have only completed half of the curriculum. In other words, you took a practice test with only half an arsenal of LSAT tools. I would consider pushing your test date. June is only 1.5 months away. By the time the June LSAT rolls around, you'll probably have only completed a few more additional PTs...if any.