Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does "more often than not" mean most?

time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
edited April 2016 in Logical Reasoning 276 karma
One of the RC videos that I watched mentioned that when something (call it X) happens more & more frequently, it does not mean that X happens most of the time. But I read it from one of the PowerScore posts that "more often than not" means MOST. They sound quite similar to me, so I'm not sure how to make a distinction between them. If I change it to "X happens more & more frequently THAN NOT" would it equate to most?

Comments

• allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    More and more frequently just means something is happening more often than before. Maybe in the past it happened 1% of the time, then recently it increased to 2% of the time. More often than not means more than 50% of the time, which means it happens most of the time.
  • hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
    edited April 2016 362 karma
    @"Purple Paris" said:
    Does "more often than not" mean most?
    Yes, in terms of frequency: "More often than not" = "Most of the time" or "Usually"

To clarify your confusion: "More and more frequently" refers to a change in frequency, while "Most of the time" refers to just frequency - like comparing velocity vs. distance.
    @"Purple Paris" said:
    They sound quite similar to me, so I'm not sure how to make a distinction between them.
    Instead of focusing on specific terms, first become familiar with general LSAT qualifiers (on a scale of 0 to 100):

- All/Always (100)
    - Most/Usually (51-100)
    - Some/Sometimes (1-100)
    - Not All/Not Always (0-99)
    - None/Never (0)

You can then interpret specific terms by applying them to this framework.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Yeah this is all about what you are comparing the past performance to. Are you comparing current frequency of an event with past frequency (the amount of time a particular thing used to happen)? If so, this tells you nothing about overall occurrences of any kind, it's only a comparison within a particular category.
  • time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
    276 karma
    Thank you guys! :)