Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using a Consulting Service after submitting applications

Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
in General 1196 karma
I was wondering if anyone has used a consulting service after submitting applications to either get off waitlists, or negotiate additional scholarships? If so could you please share your experience & if it was worth it?

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited April 2016 1654 karma
    I think consultants are valuable and can help you craft a great personal statement and prepare for interviews, but I don't think hiring someone to help you negotiate scholarships and get off waitlists is worth the cost. There is a lot of valuable information on TLS about scholarship negotiations and waitlist acceptances. You should look there. Typically admitted students send law schools peer schools' scholarship offers and ask them to match or exceed the other offers. In regards to getting off waitlists, sending a LOCI, visiting a school and introducing yourself to the admissions office and having a non-evaluative meeting with them are the only things you can do.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    I think consultants are valuable and can help you craft a great personal statement and prepare for interviews, but I don't think hiring someone to help you negotiate scholarships and get off waitlists is worth the cost.
    Agreed. This is a bit late in the process to hire a consultant IMO, unless you're considering retaking/reapplying. In that case, yes.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    I worked with Dean Meeker from Spivey Consulting for one hour to strategize getting off a waitlist and writing a LOCI. It was an excellent experience, as he helped me prepare what to do/discuss during my visit to the school, helped me strategize for the coming months, and helped edit my LOCI. If you mention that you're a 7sage student, they may offer you a discount. Personally, I think it was worth it; Dean Meeker tailored the whole experience to my needs and provided me with advice and suggestions that I don't think I would've been able to find elsewhere. Whether I ever get admitted is to be determined, but I'm glad I did everything in my power to get off the waitlist at my top choice.

As for scholarship negotiation, there's plenty of info/advice on TLS. I don't think it's worth the cost for that.