Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need to talk about an injustice

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited March 2014 in General 13940 karma
Take a step back and think about why you're pursuing the study of law.

This is one of the ten most popular talks on TED and Bryan Stevenson shows us how lawyers can be a powerful force for justice.

Comments

• Bret CypelBret Cypel Alum Member
    122 karma
    Very interesting post, JY. Thanks.
  • D.AndresD.Andres Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    Inspiring. Thanks.
  • christinemrobbins841christinemrobbins841 Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    Awesome TED talk! I loved it. Thanks!!
  • Christina ChavezChristina Chavez Alum Member
    edited October 2013 11 karma
    Thank you for this TED talk. It was incredible, inspiring, and precisely why I want to practice law. What a brave stance to take---being accountable to our humanity--and challenging all of our society (especially those that are privileged intellectually & financially). How can one be advanced in all other aspects, and yet lack moral consciousness? All of us--even, the TED community need to examine the way our society treats its poor/one another as our character seeps in to multiple facets of who we are & what we ultimately accomplish as a whole. (#L-SAT-motivation#eye-on-the-prize).
  • zhenderszhenders Free Trial Member
    edited November 2013 228 karma
    Wow. Just, wow. That was one of the most eloquent, perfect conversational presentations I've ever seen; a heart as brilliant as his mind.

"The moral arc of the Universe is long, but it bends towards justice."
    and,
    "The opposite of poverty is justice."

I'll never forget those lines, as long as I live.
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    259 karma
    I've been into TED for 4 years. I watched this a few weeks ago and it was THE most inspiring TED talk I've ever watched
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Lawyers tend to get such a bad rap; especially criminal justice lawyers. It's great to see a shining example like Bryan Stevenson show that lawyers can have great integrity and strive towards helping society. Thanks JY.
  • jeje9999jeje9999 Alum Member
    69 karma
    wow just wow.

while watching, I couldn't help but think that JY and 7sage will be on TED one day, very soon.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited July 2014 477 karma
    Beautiful Speech !! rarely is this adjective suitable for a talk, it this case it is. Thanks a bunch JY for introducing this talk on the forum. 7Sage is much more than a prep course. It certainly is true what Bryan Stevenson said: "Innovation, creativity, development comes not from the ideas in our mind alone, they come from from the ideas in our mind that are fueled by some conviction in our heart." Go JY.
  • michellemoon0708michellemoon0708 Alum Member
    79 karma
    I earnestly enjoyed this video, from the begging. I was sitting on the edge of my chair, and in a single snap it was over. It was that good. I'm not afraid to say it-I collapsed into tears after the "last" sentence: "For those of you who share that, I've simply came to tell you to keep your eyes on the prize."

Thank for this JY, thank you.
  • elvisliveselvislives Alum Member
    97 karma
    Fantastic, incredibly motivating. Thanks for posting, JY.
  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma
    SImply brought me to tears. That was incredible.
  • LouieRodriguezLouieRodriguez Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    This is powerful.

I wrote out this long paragraph about identity, Bryan Stevenson's identity, and the identity of law schools (Harvard) but I thought it was a bit insensitive to Cooley Law, so I erased everything and just want to leave you all with this message:

Crush the LSAT.
  • CallMeJazzyCallMeJazzy Alum Member
    65 karma
    Well, this is epic. It's really inspiring to see the incredibly important work that people like Bryan Stevenson do lifted up on a platform like TED. Black men like Mr. Stevenson aren't very visible in our society--it often feels like you have to search for them. To see him up there means a lot.

Thanks for the reminder to go do great shit.
  • cmccollum510cmccollum510 Free Trial Member
    edited November 2014 8 karma
    The messages Mr. Stevenson discusses are similar to some of the themes Matt Taibbi explores in his book, The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap. The message needs to be repeated from African American persons in public fora like this, and more in the mainstream media, as CallMeJazzy says. Having an African American president isn't enough. Bryan Stevenson speaks very well and I would like to see more of him. I like his message about being brave and bold. Be bold!
  • smartjoshua90smartjoshua90 Alum Member
    128 karma
    His words ring truer during days like this...
  • karlarogersmedkarlarogersmed Alum Member
    2 karma
    WOW! Exactly what I needed to hear today...amazing. I am behind on my study schedule but after that I will go home, refocus my efforts and hold on and keep my eyes on the prize.
  • TraianusTraianus Member
    120 karma

I was lucky enough to hear Mr. Stevenson speak on my college campus this year. Without a doubt the best speaker I have ever heard in person.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

His book is great and I hope he'll write another one soon. :)

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

I read his book, Just Mercy, and it was one of the most eye-opening things I have ever read in my life. He is an inspiration.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@Traianus said:
    I was lucky enough to hear Mr. Stevenson speak on my college campus this year. Without a doubt the best speaker I have ever heard in person.

Bet that was amazing. He's a wonderful advocate for his clients and for the causes he works on behalf of.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

It's weird how I keep running into this message.
    I was at a used book store a while back, and picked up a book about Clarence Darrow. It was called Attorney for the Damned, I believe. Honestly, I was just waiting on my family to finish shopping, and it was a fairly random grab in the "Law" section. And the first sentence I read was about how the death penalty needed to be abolished. I didn't agree, but I kept reading. And the points he made started making sense. It made me think about the whole issue of it. Not just the ones who are innocent and wrongfully accused, but even for those who are rightfully convicted. He asked what kind of people we are to murder other people, even people who are awful. It does't say anything about them, but it says everything about us. And I had never really considered it that way before.
    And then this TED talk comes up, discussing a very similar topic. I find that interesting.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

This man was without a doubt the single biggest inspiration I've had during this lsat journey. His story and the stories he shared in his book really just put everything into perspective for me.

• Laurazh3Laurazh3 Alum Member
    14 karma

Reading Stevenson's book Just Mercy changed my life. Highly recommend.

• RiseandGrindRiseandGrind Alum Member
    219 karma

I may or may not have teared up several times while watching this, but can confirm I will carry his message wherever I end up.