Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self BR before Group BR?

MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
in General 2086 karma
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I read @"Nicole Hopkins" ' Group BR Instructional. She mentioned that, if it's an option, you should self BR prior to joining a group BR. Does everyone do this? I've never taken part in a group BR before, but, I've done plenty of self-BRing.
For future BR Groups, I intend on self-BRing prior to joining the group BR. However, regarding this Sunday's BR group, I won't have time to self-BR.

Comments

• allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I think it's a personal call, you'll get different things out of the process if you do it beforehand or wait to hear other people's opinions. You might get the most dividends out of it if you do it beforehand though.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I think self BR is important. Group BR is great to get different perspectives and explanations, but come test day, we're all on our own.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I have done it both ways depending on time restrictions to self BR. Personally, I prefer to at least do a mini BR review before the call but I have learned tons with either approach.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @allison.gill.sanford Thanks, Allison! It's just this one group BR, so I think I'll do a "mini" session as @twssmith suggested. That way I'm not going in completely blind.
    @"Cant Get Right" Very good point, thanks! I'll just attend this Sunday's BR call with a semi-complete self-BR, and plan well ahead for the next one.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I personally self-BR as a requirement for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, self-BRing helps me to catch what I missed even after BRing on my own. In a group BR, I may not notice quite as exactly an error on a missed question as much as I would if I had self-BRed beforehand. After all, if I've spent time BRing on a question I still got wrong, the error of my reasoning will be much more apparent when its introduced in a group BR. If I do not go over circled questions on my own, I'll have no idea how confident I was in any particular question, which is a big downside for me. It also helps me to ask others about my invalid reasoning, which I obviously built up from BR. Again, I haven't reasoned through my own reasoning much more, since I've gone over the test myself.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @danielznelson Very good points. Thanks for the input.