Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Pencil Thread (7Sage style)

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    And whatever you’re using, just make sure you have enough presharpened that you can grab a fresh one as often as you need.
    Yep! take 6 pre sharpened pencils with you on test day, more if sharpness is an issue. The girl next to me in October, changed her pencil after each game. 6 might be a tad excessive, but if thats what you need its what you need!
  • Cayenne43Cayenne43 Alum Member
    195 karma
    I just want to say this thread inspired me to pick up some black ticonderogas this week and I used them on my first PT this past weekend. And it made such a difference! I was using some random kind of pencils before so thanks for this thread 7sage!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @DeeJayGee said:
    this thread inspired me
    So say we all.
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    Okay, I'm bringing this thread back to life. Again. So, I'm interested in the Palomino Blackwing pencil sharpener but I want to make sure it can sharpen thick, beefy pencils (tri-conderogas at minimum).

I'm particularly interested in using these pencils: http://www.jetpens.com/Staedtler-Noris-Club-Triplus-Jumbo-Learner-s-Pencil-HB/pd/15269

They are 4mm in diameter. Anyone know if they will fit the aforementioned pencil sharpener?
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" said:
    They are 4mm in diameter. Anyone know if they will fit the aforementioned pencil sharpener?
    oh nice another Jumbo pencil!
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 2481 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" the Palomino Blackwing Longpoint sharpener will not fit the Tri-conderoga, so I doubt it will fit the jumbo Staedtler. It's really only for regular pencils.
    The Staedler regular sharpener http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Double-hole-Tub-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B001E67Z16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460727807&sr=8-1&keywords=Staedtler+sharpener does fit them, but they look like coloring pencils with a short conical tip.
    @twssmith suggested this one a few comments up for sharpening Tri's to a nice long point:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQOMB?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
    The
    27821 karma
    Nice! Let us know how that one works @"Darth Jurist" !
    453 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Nice! Let us know how that one works
    Will do!

I went ahead and splurged and bought the Uni Hi-Uni's (http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Hi-Uni-Wooden-Pencil-HUHB/dp/B001B8UH30?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) and the Palomino sharpener. I have one of the old school, hand-crank pencil sharpeners (you know, from elementary school) that seems like it will be able to fit the fatties okay. I will provide a detailed review of what I like/dislike about everything, so stay tuned! :D
    27821 karma

There was a time- before this thread- when I would have assumed this 220 page book was a joke. Now, it seems somewhat reasonable to me that it might exist in earnest. I just don’t know anymore.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    edited May 2016 1762 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQOMB?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
    Hey guys, just ordered this sharpener with the 12 pack black tri-cons. Ill let you guys know how I like em.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @nanchito said:
    know how I like em.
    please do! I LOVE the tri-cons; sharpening them is just a pain in the a** /also impossible for me so far :)
    edited May 2016 453 karma
    Review: Uni Hi-Uni Pencils and Blackwing Palomino Long-point Pencil Sharpener.

First off, anyone who does not use a girthy pencil seriously needs to get this sharpener. It sharpens like a friggin' boss and take like 30 sec to resharpen to a perfect point. It kind of makes me feel better for test day in the event that lady luck is not on my side, or my hands just tremble profusely due to test anxiety, and I break all of the leads on my pencils. Having a quick reliable sharpener seems like a pragmatic move. There is even a small shaving chamber on this guy, so you don't have to worry about get lead and wood dust all over the place. And, it is small enough to fit in your pocket. This thing makes me want to takes notes in school using regular wooden pencils.

Second item: the HB Hi-Uni's are a dream to write with. I feel as if they don't scratch the paper at all, and roll like a ballpoint pen across the page. You need not apply much pressure to get a dark line, which makes the tip last longer. They also erase very well. I use one of the Staedtler erasers, that come in the sleeve, and there is no leftover smudge or darkness. I can do an entire LG section with one Hi-Uni and still have half the point left. Top notch pencil for sure!

The only downside to the pencils are that they are in fact a little more pricey. I was lucky enough to find a pack of 12 for $16 on Amazon. They come in a sweet plastic carrying case (for the school supply nerd in us all) that kind of made me feel like the extra cost was worth it. I thought that going back to a slick surfaced, skinny pencil might not work well for me (I have hitherto used the Black Dixon Tri's before my recent purchase), but it really has not bothered me. As a taller individual, who has pretty large hands, I didn't feel like I had to compensate in any respect. This is, of course, my own preference. The main plus to these guys would have to be the longer lasting lead. Even though the B.D. Tri's have a thicker piece of lead, I feel as if I have to press much harder and the lead dulls quicker. Plus, the finish on those guys is kind of like a matte surface, so the oils and sweat in my hand make them start to get sticky.

Anywho, there's my review, I hope you all enjoyed.
    1706 karma
    @nanchito did the sharpener come in????? ANY UPDATES? REVIEW? DID IT FIT the tris?
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @nanchito Hope you like it, the suction cup is horrible but it does sharpen the tri's to a good point:)

@BruiserWoods So sorry I meant to finish this post and got distracted... It works but the one I have is a complete pain to keep resealing the suction cup to keep it stationary to barely finish sharpening one pencil.

@"Darth Jurist" so glad you found a pencil that works! That sharpener is the greatest - but the thinner pencils make my fingers cramp during a full 6 section test so I moved to the Tri's.
    1706 karma
    @twssmith SIX sections? what? why?
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    lol I added the writing sample to see about stamina - it was not about being a LSAT guru..
    (I have a compressed nerve in my forearm and working on how to alleviate stress on that nerve)
    1762 karma
    @BruiserWoods Yes it came in this weekend. I was waiting to clean out a nook in my house to use as an lsat study area but I unboxed it for a review.

The suction cup is pretty good you just have to find the right surface, something smooth and glossy. I used a kitchen counter. When I sharpened the first one, it grinded the pencil effortlessly into a reeeeeally long sharp point on one side but the other side was still covered in wood. I couldn't get over it, I had to use a knife on the first one to cut that part off. On the second pencil I sharpened it a bit on one side then slightly turned it and sharpened it a tad more. That works great. Just be careful because this sharpener eats pencils, half a turn to 2 turns is good enough just to get it even. I still have to play around with it more.

The tri-cons come with a little sharpener that I can't use because of the grab and halt process on my sweaty ass hands. I used the big hole on my regular sharpener and works perfectly. Point is thick and shorter than the standing sharpener .http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/591215/tug-2-Hole-Manual-Pencil-Sharpener/ If you want a portable sharpener you cant go wrong with this one.

As for the pencils serious upgrade from what I was using before. Lasts long, does not break or slip... where have these been all my life?
  • dreamlawschooldreamlawschool Alum Member
    edited May 2016 139 karma
    I am a diehard Black Ticonderoga fan. I'm left-handed and while I can't prove that there's a concrete difference, I do find that they seem to smudge less onto the side my hand as I write across the page compared with other standard #2 pencils. Just a tip for other lefties out there!
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Omg, to all you guys who recommended the Blackwing sharpener: thank you! The thing is unbelievable, sharpens to a super fine point and much better than the $30 electric sharpener I bought on Amazon. That, with the black ticonderogas I feel is the best combo.
    27821 karma
    Yeah, the blackwing is a pretty righteous sharpener. I just can't go back to the Ticonderogas after getting used to my Staedtler Noricas though. I guess that's why they say if at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

Wait, is that why they say that?
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    edited May 2016 730 karma
    Ha @"Cant Get Right" I actually returned to this thread to say just that. Ran out of Noricas so I figured I'd buy some Black Ticons. They get good reviews and lots of people on TLS use them, plus I don't think the Noricas are the perfect pencil. Well as they say, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone." I ended up blowing $10 on some weak-ass 'cils that make extremely thin and light marks. Bubbling in answer choices is a chore and reading your own writing quickly becomes difficult.

After running back to Staples to once again feel the comforting embrace of my Noricas, I realize what luxurious pencils these are in comparison. The marks are dark, they write smoothly, and damn it they just feel so much fuller in the hand than the Ticons. Sure the lead is soft and dulls easily, but I've learned that life is a series of trade-offs and the Noricas clearly come out on top.
    27821 karma
    @cmelman95 said:
    After running back to Staples to once again feel the comforting embrace of my Noricas, I realize what luxurious pencils these are in comparison. The marks are dark, they write smoothly, and damn it they just feel so much fuller in the hand than the Ticons. Sure the lead is soft and dulls easily, but I've learned that life is a series of trade-offs and the Noricas clearly come out on top.
    Word.
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    Anyone else feel like they would prefer a razor sharp pencil for LG and RC, but a knub for LR? I felt that during the PT I just wrote, having a knub made bubbling so much easier, maybe so easy that I had a serious amount of time to look over my questions again... Obviously for RC and LG you'd want the razor sharp lines, minimizing any blurry lines.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    So I read on TLS that the black Ticoneroga's are the best and darkest, for me my issue is the darkness of the pencil not because of bubbling issues (haven't begun PTing yet) but because I love the dark color of pencils. I have random pencils at home such as the yellow caliber, HB #2, and yellow #2 supreme which all write with dark lead. I wish I knew where to get them because most of them have become really small. I think the yellow ones are darker than the black ticoneroga this is just from comparing and contrasting with written notes on binder paper.
    27821 karma
    @sweetsecret , Ticonderogas are really weak on the darkness metric. Their benefit is really that they retain their point longer than anything else. If you want a dark lead, you do not want a ticon. Try staedtlers. Super rich and dark.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" will do, thanks for the heads up!
  • apathyhostageapathyhostage Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Thanks for starting a pencil thread. http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/7-most-effective-essay-writing-techniques for those ones of you who might be in need of effective writing techniques!
    27821 karma
    This thread will never sink!

While it’s back, I’ve got an update. I’ve switched from Staedtler Noricas to Staedtler Wopex. They’re both great pencils, but the Wopex has a really nice, solid weight to it. I also like that it’s specifically graded as a “180-HB” pencil. I’m not sure what that means, but I mean come on, how’re you not going to use the 180 pencil for the LSAT??
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    Can I just hop on here and say the Mirado Black Warrior's suck so bad now :( The tip becomes dull after light usage - so annoying especially because I love how they look: matte black with two little hearts near the eraser hahaha, I sound like a child. I might just take up your suggestion, @"Cant Get Right" lol. 180 pencil...it has to MEAN something. Will it drag my hand to the direction of letter B when I want to choose letter E?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    Just bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Noricas from Staples. I love these things. I recommend these for anyone taking the LSAT. They glide on the paper, whereas the Black Ticons I was using seemed to be scratching. It is much easier to bubble with the softer lead of the Noricas. Plus they write darker and the pencil itself feels better. They erase just fine too if you have a decent eraser. I recommend a foam one. 10/10!
    1706 karma
    Since the thread is back alive, let me tell y'all to STAY AWAY FROM THE DAMN TRI-CONS! STAY AWAY.

They don't erase fully on the bubble sheets and I'm thinking this is one of the reasons I wasn't able to tell my infamous bubble wasn't filled in. #Bubblegate2k16

That said @"Cant Get Right" how do the Staedtlers erase?
    27821 karma
    @BruiserWoods the Noricas erase well enough. It is a very dark pencil though, so it definitely leaves a ghost. For me the dark writing is well worth the trade though.

And the Wopex doesn't even have an eraser, haha. So not too well.
    27821 karma
    @BruiserWoods the Noricas erase well enough. It is a very dark pencil though, so it definitely leaves a ghost. For me the dark writing is well worth the trade though.

And the Wopex doesn't even have an eraser, haha. So not too well.
    1706 karma
    OH i aint messing with a eraserless pencil what even uh uh.
    edited July 2016 1762 karma
    Tri-cons get sticky. After a day of using them the matte finish mixes with my sweat and I guess it dissolves the finish. If I stick them in my book for a day they leave black gunk on the pages. Other than that, I still love them. Maybe ill try something else?
    OoO, I'm not sure if that felt right when I said it. I feel like im cheating on my pencil. Just because it leaves the gunk doesn't mean I should look for something new. But what if im settling and there's something better out there? I don't know what to do.
  • 342 karma
    See this is why I LOVE 7sage... I haven't even began to worry about pencils but thanks to all of you, I no longer have to.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @nanchito said:
    Tri-cons get sticky. After a day of using them the matte finish mixes with my sweat and I guess it dissolves the finish.
    Yep! I had the same problem with the finish coming off.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Staples and purchased 2 36 packs of Staedtler Noricas They are really amazing. And a great price! Before them I was using the Black Ticons. Which I think are great btw, but not the best. The Ticons seem to scratch the paper when they write---- You can hear the difference.

The Norica is not only smoother-writing, but also harder-wearing and more break-resistant than ordinary pencils, helping them write for longer. When writing with them they have a creamy feel as they glide across the paper. They do dull a bit easier some say, although I didn't find it to be anything I really noticed. Also, they are a bit more hard to erase completely. I recommend investing in a good foam eraser. Also, if you are planning on reusing tests or something, don't write hard...

edited August 2016 27821 karma
    Yeah, I love Staedtlers @"Alex Divine" . I think “creamy” is the exact word I used for how they feel when I reviewed them wherever that was on this thread.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" They are great! And I probably read it and that is why that adjective was what came to mind for me. Now that I've been using them for a couple weeks I stopped appreciating how awesome there were. That was until last night when I used a Ticon to write something and immediately felt how scratchy it was writing.

• dervy2017dervy2017 Member
    edited August 2016 72 karma
    I started out using the Ticonderoga HB #2 for drilling/note taking, after reading that mechanical pencils are banned. I switched back to whatever crap mechanical pencil I could find in my drawer - currently some cheap BIC thing. Will switch back to the Ticoneroga's for doing practice tests - just got sick of the pencil lead breaking my my bag and being stuck without a sharpener.

For standard pencils, i'm Ticonderoga or GTFO. No-name pencils are either impossible to get sharp or impossible to erase (looking at you, crappy Staples brand pencils!), and I end up breaking them in half and tossing them out wherever I find them. And honestly, for mechanical pencils, this BIC is boss. I've had the Zebra ones, and find them uncomfortable. Plus, I always manage to lose them.

And now I've wasted 5 minutes of my life writing about pencils instead of studying :)
    1762 karma
    https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-STD18241CB18-Wopex-Extruded-Pencil/dp/B00IUT6PES/ref=pd_cart_rp_1_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41r6QYlJXYL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR100,100_&psc=1&refRID=AXDK2EDGCK5YRXVYB5YV

I tried these. They do write smooth, and eraser is good but the point broke 2 times during a game section. Once timed, once during br. The break did not render the pencil unusable but it was kind of annoying. Not sure if it was too pointy or I was writing too hard. Ill try again when I get home. I dont mind the subtle scratchiness of the tricons, when I compare the two. I like the weight of the tricons better.... Still on the hunt for the best pencil ever. For now I put tape around the tri-con (which has never broken on me). I'll try the noricas next.
  • jaybee88jaybee88 Alum Member
    165 karma
    Are sharpeners off limits during the test?... I hadn't seen any rules about them either way
    11542 karma
    @jaybee88 said:
    Are sharpeners off limits during the test?
    No, thank God.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Can you sharpen during the break?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @bjphillips5 Yes you can... Just make sure to bring like 6-10 pre-sharpened pencils just in case.
    11542 karma
    What Alex said. You definitely don't want to be sharpening during the exam time.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Personal preference but worth experimenting:)
    The Staedtler Norica's are way too dense writing in my booklet and dull quickly for me. I rarely erase but I was really concerned if I have to change an answer at the last minute on my scantron with the heavy mark they left even with a good eraser on the other end.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    I’ve found something that’s been a game changer for me: Ticonderoga Beginners. Sometimes you have to go back to 1st grade.
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    So, today I was thinking it would be a good idea to "pre-erase" the eraser on my noricas but just on one side so that the eraser wears down to a nice little point to quickly erase an answer bubble. I mean, hopefully you won't need to use it but it might shave off a few seconds ;)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"J. Tharp" said:
    So, today I was thinking it would be a good idea to "pre-erase" the eraser on my noricas but just on one side so that the eraser wears down to a nice little point to quickly erase an answer bubble. I mean, hopefully you won't need to use it but it might shave off a few seconds ;)
    Interesting... Might be something to look into. A few seconds could be huge! :) I'm not a big fan of how Noricas erase, though I love'em ...