Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing Center Chaos

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
in General 27822 karma
Okay, I’ve taken my previous LSATs at my alma mater. It was great. Huge desks in a room I’ve had classes in on a campus I know intimately in a city I call home. What more could anyone ask for? Well in their wisdom, they’ve decided not to administer the test in September. I’m pretty sure they’re only doing it to screw with me, but regardless, I’ve got to find a new center.

I’m like, okay, well I’ll just have to do it in Oxford. Whatever, no big deal. Wrong. Big deal. It occurred to me (thank god) to check the football schedule and sure enough, there’s a home game that day- and an SEC conference game at that. There is no way I’m taking the LSAT in that environment.

So I’m just going to leave.

My question is, where should I go? I’ve been thinking of cities like San Francisco, NYC, DC. I can go anywhere. But I think what I’m really wanting is something small and peaceful like a little village on the Pacific coast like with cliffs, a small independent B&B, and probably a dark secret of some kind (those little towns always have something like that going on, right?). Or maybe like somewhere tucked away in the Rockies near a mountain lake. Some kind of serene shit like that, you know?

So, any suggestions?

Comments

• quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    edited May 2016 611 karma
    This may be an unpopular opinion here (and feel free to ignore this comment), but I feel like this a bit of an overreaction. It'd be one thing if you were going on vacation after your exam, but is it really worth the money to fly across the country (possibly) just to take an exam? If this happened to me, I'd probably try to find a community college testing center in a city nearby.

Speaking more generally, I get that being comfortable in the testing center is important and that you should try to find the best center possible (within reason), but I don't think it's nearly as important as people here make it out to be. Your studies and test prep are far, far more important, and you've had over months or years to work on that. I think that if the testing center is causing that much anxiety, you're not as confident in your LSAT prep as you should be. Before my exam, I felt like I could take the test on a crowded NY subway train and be just fine because I was confident enough in my abilities that the testing center was a negligible consideration for me.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I'm not doing this as something I feel like I need to do in a crisis of confidence. Just something that, in the absence of my ideal testing centers, I will enjoy.
  • csix07csix07 Member
    24 karma
    I agree, I think trying to take the test in that environment will be distracting. If you can go anywhere why not Pittsburgh? It will be cheaper than NYC or San Francisco, its fairly peaceful... Plus you know nobody is going to be going to a Pitt game ;)
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    University of Denver campus is gorgeous, with plenty of mountain views and hiking trails just a half hour away, for enjoyment before or after the test (or both). I'll be there in September! They don't even have a football team... I've been to an Ole Miss game and I for sure wouldn't want to take a test in that environment!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma

@quinnxzhang said:
    but I don't think it's nearly as important as people here make it out to be.
    while you may be right to some degree.... have you ever experienced an SEC tailgate? There is a 0% chance that ANYONE would perform up to their potential with that sh** going on even hundreds of yards away. (SEC alum here).

Anyway, @"Cant Get Right" You should take it in Boston so we can take it together on my inevitable retake. :')
    27822 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    There is a 0% chance that ANYONE would perform up to their potential with that sh** going on even hundreds of yards away.
    Yeah, it’s just too much. Maybe there are people with a level of mental clarity so advanced that they can focus in that environment, but I am simply not one of them. More power to you Quinn. Plus, there won’t be a place to park for miles. Wish there were other testing centers, but we just don’t have many options down here. Point is, I’m going to have to travel. So I may as well go somewhere cool where I’m able to spend the week after the test relaxing and decompressing.

Everybody I know that’s been to Pittsburg has been blown away with how a cool town it is, but probably not for the reasons I’m looking for on this trip. I’ve thought about both Boston and Denver actually. I’ll be in Boston in July though, so too recent. Denver could be a contender though.
  • dreamlawschooldreamlawschool Alum Member
    139 karma
    I had a similar thing happen to me. The place where I took my first LSAT was at a local college where I've done all my prep work and felt very comfortable (cue with warm and fuzzies) but then the universe decided it would be amusing to throw in a monkey wrench and NOT make that test center available for the upcoming June take, for which I am registered. So I desperately searched and searched online to get more info about my other options (not much there), and I eventually settled on UDM law school in Detroit (about an hour's drive away for me). I called every possible administrator in the test centers until I got the info I was looking for. Although this location is totally unfamiliar to me, and Detroit isn't exactly an inspiring locale, I did find peace in my selection after making the trip there to scope out the rooms and speak with administrators (who I've shamelessly spammed with phone calls) who've been proctoring the test for ages.

For that reason, I'd advise against traveling far (anything necessitating air travel) for an alternate test location--because it'll be that much more difficult for you to go scope it out in person. Also, traveling for your test could exposes you to a number of risks (though improbable) outside of your control that could very be to your detriment (like getting sick--planes can be viral cesspools, delayed/canceled flights, lost/stolen luggage, bad accommodations leading to poor rest, etc.)--all of that is not worth the risk in my opinion.

So I guess the moral of the story for me is this: if you can't be at your ideal test location, then the next best thing is to pick a center [within driving distance] only after doing your due diligence and it should DEFINITELY be a place that you've personally traveled to and scoped out for this very purpose. This will give you a level of familiarity with your test center on test day, and that should hopefully translate into some degree of confidence. :) Hope this helps.
    edited January 2022 27822 karma
    Really solid points @dreamlawschool . I’ve got the airline miles and hotel points that I can do a trip at minimal cost, so I didn’t even think about any potential travel concerns. Will definitely keep that in mind.

I am starting to dig on the idea of Denver though. Even if it’s just to vacation afterwards. Have you seen the testing center at U Denver @rachel ?
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    Haven't seen the specific site at DU, though I have toured the law school. Assuming it's in one of those buildings, it will be perfect. The classrooms all had long, aisle-wide tables, no flip-desks. I may take another look this summer.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2016 4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’ve been thinking of cities like San Francisco, NYC, DC. I can go anywhere.
    Actually? If you want the best testing center EVER, come to Dallas (McKinney) and take it at Collin County Ctr for Higher Ed. And there's a nice brand new Sheraton immediately next door that's $80-$120 a night. Literally walk to the testing center. School is new so no BS construction. Fly Southwest to Love Field. Or, see if University of Dallas is doing it. That was also a good testing center. But McKinney is like a dream come true.

Don't add in the distraction of being in a big exciting city to your experience. This is your last take. Don't mess around with it. Go somewhere boring where you'll have an optimal testing experience (and with a short flight).

Dallas is so boring that it warrants merchandise (McKinney is many shades of boring beyond Dallas):

4344 karma
    @quinnxzhang said:
    but I don't think it's nearly as important as people here make it out to be.
    You might think differently if you'd had a bad experience.
    4344 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    have you ever experienced an SEC tailgate?
    Haha AMEN
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Bummer...
    I can't really suggest a testing center. However, I will say that if noise is going to be a problem, I would stay out of Southern California. Most of the universities that offer the LSAT are near major highways. If they are not, you can bet that there's going to be construction going on somewhere nearby.

@quinnxzhang Everyone is different. While noise may not affect you, it can others. Often, it has very little to do with confidence, and more to do with how easily an individual becomes distracted.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    @quinnxzhang said:
    Your studies and test prep are far, far more important, and you've had over months or years to work on that.
    Words of wisdom right here. Agreed 100%.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Only people who don't watch live music think Dallas is boring @"Nicole Hopkins"
  • 82 karma
    The Sarasota test center is also great! They have spare pencils and a pencil sharpener (for those that are unprepared) and they even let someone move spots when they couldn't focus due to noise from the exam. The beaches in the area are nice as well :)
  • 342 karma
    WAIT!!!! I am in Dallas @"Nicole Hopkins" Is this where I should take it??? Again since I am just starting out I haven't even begin to think about where I should take the exam. I am literally 30 minutes from McKinney. PS I TOTALLY do not think Dallas is boring ;) but I am totally a Dallas girl hahaha. sooo I am partial.
    4344 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    I am in Dallas @"Nicole Hopkins" Is this where I should take it???
    100% YES!!!! And stay at the Sheraton next door.
    4344 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    but I am totally a Dallas girl hahaha. sooo I am partial.
    I like that Dallas is boring :) Great place to live, lame place to visit. Except Ft. Worth. ;)
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" literally just lol'ed at that shirt while in the library.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    Ah, guys, I used to live in Pittsburgh and it is one cool city. But, if you are not familiar with it, probably best to not try to fly in and take a test there. The Universities are in cramped, noisy urban neighborhoods with tons of traffic and it is very hilly and difficult to move around. Plus, it has the 2nd worst air pollution in the country and if you are not use to it, it can cause a flareup of breathing problems, runny nose, etc.
  • aggiejayrodaggiejayrod Alum Member
    13 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" Small world, I'm signed up there for June. Relieves a small amount of stress to hear that the test center is great.
    4344 karma
    @aggiejayrod said:
    Small world, I'm signed up there for June. Relieves a small amount of stress to hear that the test center is great.
    It's the BEST!
  • aggiejayrodaggiejayrod Alum Member
    edited May 2016 13 karma
    Dang, now I can only blame myself if my score isn't as good as I have been getting on my PTs.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Seriously Josh! Come take the test at my amazing test center:

Welcome to Dahlonega!

Site of the first major U.S. Gold Rush and the Heart of Georgia Wine Country, Dahlonega offers an authentic, mountain getaway only an hour north of Atlanta. Our guests and locals alike enjoy outstanding arts and gold medal wineries, original architecture and gold history attractions, a Golden Bear signature golf course and the University of North Georgia with its signature gold steeple. As a destination hub in the heart of the North Georgia Mountains, Dahlonega plays host to year round weddings, waterfall and wildlife seekers, and world renowned bicycling events.

Just offering a small town option to your national search:)
    27822 karma
    Well great news on this! Turns out my alma mater is administering after all! It just wasn’t coming up on LSAC for some reason. With it being so close to the deadline, I went and checked it on a whim and sure enough there it was. Switched it over and good to go! Taking my LSAT at home on the beautiful campus of Southern Miss!

Hopefully I’ll get on a role with updating my old threads with good news and bring back the GPA issue next!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Wow, what're the odds of that? nice!
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Hopefully I’ll get on a role with updating my old threads with good news and bring back the GPA issue next!
    Yes looking forward! :D