Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private tutoring with Jonathan

Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
edited March 2017 in General 6866 karma
Hi 7Sagers!

I'm Jonathan; or, as some folks at the NYC Overlook meetup called me, "the other guy". If you've watched any problem set explanation videos, some of those are mine; I have a bunch of videos in the full test explanations as well. I've also been popping into the forums a bit more often lately, as a few of you have noticed.

As you're all aware, the LSAT is hard. And while 7Sage is awesome, sometimes you might need additional help with a certain question or concept. I've worked closely with JY and 7Sage since the beginning, and I also happen to be a full-time LSAT tutor. Rather than clutter discussions with shameless self-promotion, we thought this announcement post would be the best way to inform you folks about how to go about getting private tutoring.

You can have a lesson with me from anywhere in the world via Skype or Google Hangout. Whether you want a someone to walk you through the entire process, or just someone to talk to for an hour or two about a couple of sticking points (or anything in between!), I'm your guy.

My standard tutoring rate is $250/hour. However, due to my excellent working relationship with JY and Alan, I'm giving a 10% discount (down to $225/hour) if you're enrolled in the 7Sage program! Just send me a study buddy request and some kind of proof that you've paid for the course (any tier).

You can see testimonials from my students here:
http://brightlinelsat.com/

If you decide that you'd like to receive some tutoring, don't post in this thread - drop me a line via the contact form on my website and we'll make it happen. Be sure to include your 7Sage name and any relevant information you'd like me to know. Please also feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

See you guys around the forums, and happy studying!

Comments

• The_RiseThe_Rise Alum Member
    283 karma
    nice and affordable, thank you!
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    I reached out to Jonathan shortly after reading this post 2 weeks before the June LSAT. At that time, I was averaging a 167, was hoping to hit the upper 170's, and unsure of whether or not I should postpone my test date until September. I had already gone through all materials, and was doing practice tests - there pretty much nothing to cover that I didn't already know.

I was pretty much against anything that would cost above $0 - but after being frustrated with a PT that didn't "hit" my target, I figured that investing some time (and money) would be worth figuring things out (Do I postpone and would I actually improve if I did? What specific things do I need to do? Do I get a refund if I pretty much just hear a regurgitation of stuff I already paid for? etc). I figured - yes, tutoring wasn't cheap (cheap for LSAT tutoring, but it's not exactly value-menu cheap), but not hitting my target score would cost me more (tutoring would be cheaper than not hitting my highest potential). Eventually, I decided to start off with 2 hours - at the very least, I would get clarity on my concerns and save some time.

I was incredibly glad I made that decision. There was no pressure, no frills, no BS - it was about figuring out where I was, what I was doing, and what I needed to do to get where I wanted to go. I received answers to all of my concerns (and postponed to September) and am seeing sections in a completely new light (the difference is akin to working through a dimly lit obstacle course without your contacts on, and working through one with your contacts on with perfect visibility).

The greatest benefit I gained from working with Jonathan was being able to do LSAT studying "my way" - we figure out the habits that are working, the habits that can be improved, the habits I need to break, and the habits I need to form - and break down a plan into solid, active steps so that I can improve - and these are things SPECIFIC to me that no group course can really do. (For example, I needed to take fewer practice tests, read passages in a certain way for practice so that I won't need to "think about it" down the road, and remember to always ask myself certain types of questions to verify my answers because I have certain habits).

On that same token, he also met me at my level to clarify how to improve. A 167 isn't bad (and I was prone to think I was the bee's knees and didn't need any help because I'd hit 175+ a few times...and I didn't want to be babied or treated like easy money) - I didn't have to deal with any "hand-holding bs" (I was perhaps, a bit crazy, had questions, sent in my stats, etc) - and we got straight to it and started doing work (identifying my problems spots: I was half expecting him to say something like "I see you have trouble with CR" - which would have initiated a bludgeoning eye-roll...but instead, it was stuff like "Walk me through how you handle X type of CR questions" followed by stuff like "see...you are doing xyz when you should be doing abc, so let's practice this approach..."). He was also to explain fundamental concepts that I overlooked - and we would figure out what I needed to do to build those foundations. In short, I am very confident that you will definitely learn something you didn't already know (now, you will be reminded a great deal of things that you knew but you had forgotten - but you will definitely learn something new). Whether you are already seasoned and want that extra jolt to hit your target, or if you feel relatively fresh and want a coach to guide you along, or whatever combination/variation in between, you can't go wrong with Jonathan.
  • Calogero NoceraCalogero Nocera Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    Jonathan truly has passion when it comes to the LSAT and cares about his students. I strongly encourage anyone studying for the LSAT to consider him as a potential tutor. However, if you are looking for cheap tricks that will help you on the LSAT, this is not what you get with Jonathan. If you are willing to work hard and learn the exam Jonathan will bring out your fullest potential. Instead of just giving you the answer, he makes you logically think about the questions and there is no stronger advantage to have with this exam. Take it from someone not naturally strong at standardized tests, if you want the most out of the money you spend then Jonathan is a serious option to consider. I worked with him for 5 months and was able to improve my untimed diagnostic to ranges that I otherwise would not have reached. So far I have been admitted to schools I would have considered reach schools at the beginning of my endeavors with scholarships. I cannot thank him enough for the work and dedication that he brings with him to every session.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    If you don't mind me asking Calogero, how much did it cost you for the 5 months you spent tutoring with him? How frequent was the tutoring? Thanks.
  • Calogero NoceraCalogero Nocera Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    It was at Jonathan's 7Sage rate and depending on my work schedule every week or once every two weeks
  • SFlorida93SFlorida93 Alum Member
    96 karma
    Hey Jonathan,

Do you know when PT 72 will be available? Thanks.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Sorry for the late reply; it should be available now! You can grab it from from the LSAC website for $10; or, if you want explanations to go with it, JY will assuredly have them up in a timely manner.
  • fiorella.sofiafiorella.sofia Alum Member
    9 karma
    Hi Jonathan, if someone is interested in getting private lessons from you, how can they reach you?
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited May 2021 6866 karma
    Drop me an email at the address listed above, or reach out to me through the contact form on my website, which you can get to by clicking on the testimonials link above.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    Calogero and Raytranr

Was your tutoring in person or via skype?
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    @ The 180 Bro

My tutoring was, and still is via skype. This was another reason I was a bit hesitant about reaching out for a tutor - I assumed that if it was not going to be in person that it was not going to be as good. But I had that exact same mindset about 7sage and was delightfully proven wrong...I sent a detailed email that outlined my status, process, concerns, and questions and when those were addressed - and addressed well - I scheduled the first lesson. One of the best investments in my pre-law process - helped push me into consistently hitting 99th percentile +

To put it another way... at first I felt like Michelle with the LSAT (just lucky to be onstage and finish the show)...then I felt like Kelly (had some success). Now, I feel like Beyonce. Wipe the charts without an announcement.

Best of luck!