Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So confused about upcoming LSAT accommodation

Mr.lopezMr.lopez Member
in General 172 karma
Hello everyone. I am taking the LSAT in september. As far as i understand those who have accommodations do not write the experimental section. but yet in my accommodation sheet it says the following:

After Section 1, Break(s) for X minutes
After Section 2, Break(s) for X minutes
After Section 3, Break(s) for X minutes
After Section 4, Break(s) for X minutes
After Section 5, Break(s) for X minutes

so i asked LSAC if this mistake. and they said no.
they even said the following :

There are 5 multiple-choices sections and 1 writing sample section with breaks between each section

does anyone have any thoughts on this

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Everyone else has 6 sections, so maybe the writing sample is one of your sections? I am not sure.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    11542 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Everyone else has 6 sections
    I don't remember taking 6 sections for a regular LSAT?
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    Yeah. I have spoken to several people who have been granted accommodations, and for everyone who has extended time (including myself) we only have had to take 5 sections (2 LR, 1 RC, 1LG, and Writing Sample). This is very confusing to me as well.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Mr.lopez said:
    but yet in my accommodation sheet it says the following:
    It sounds like you have breaks in between sections—and not extra time? It's only the extra time folks who don't do an experimental, to my knowledge.
    1706 karma
    Right. @Mr.lopez are you certain that you have "extended time" and not just extra time during your section breaks?
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @montahar said:
    I don't remember taking 6 sections for a regular LSAT?

I was referring to the Writing being the 6th.
  • Mr.lopezMr.lopez Member
    172 karma
    hey i should have also mentioned that i also have the extended time as well. so yes @bruiserwoods and @"Nicole Hopkins" i also have the extended time per section. so odd
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Sounds like you talked to someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I would call them again tomorrow to clarify what the deal is and make sure you have accommodations. Extra time test takers give useless data for experimental sections, which is why they don't do them, so you should definitely not have one there.
    1706 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Extra time test takers give useless data for experimental sections, which is why they don't do them,
    not to mention it would put us there for 7+ hours and that's just grueling
  • LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
    edited June 2016 592 karma
    I can clear this up. I took it twice with accommodations. I was allowed an optional 5 minute break between sections (although this could be individualized, and I didn't use it as it interrupted my flow) along with the normal 15 min break everyone else gets. There is no experimental section, but you do have to do the same writing sample everyone else does to go along with the same exact test everyone else takes. The final 5th section listed up there is the writing sample... But If anyone tells you that accommodated test takers get a different version of the test, they're just wrong.
    1706 karma
    @LARamsNation said:
    But If anyone tells you that accommodated test takers get a different version of the test, they're just wrong.
    UNLESS you're in my position, and they push back your test date 4 days. There's a 0% chance LSAC is giving me the same June test that the others are taking on June 6. That would be patently unfair.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @LARamsNation said:
    But If anyone tells you that accommodated test takers get a different version of the test, they're just wrong.
    Yup.
    1706 karma
    @LARamsNation if the 5th section they're referring to is the writing section, why would they give OP a 5 minute break after the end of their test though? Like, the test is over at that point.
  • LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
    592 karma
    @BruiserWoods they wrote that for mine too.. it's just a template and god knows why they don't adjust it. They will give you a break after the 4th section, then collect your materials (Scranton, test booklet) then they have a separate sealed small booklet for the writing sample that you open when the multiple choice materials have been collected
    1706 karma
    @LARamsNation the break after the 4th section is in addition to the 15 minute break after the 3rd section?
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I only got the 15 minute break after the 3rd section, no additional breaks. However others could have different accommodations.
    11542 karma
    @BruiserWoods what date and time are you taking the LSAT? I'm so disappointed they changed things up on you last minute!!
    1706 karma
    @montahar I know I'm upset and trying not to let it affect me too much. I'm taking it Friday, June 10--a week from today. I wanted to take it with my 7sage friends :(
  • Mr.lopezMr.lopez Member
    172 karma
    you guys are all so helpful :) @BruiserWoods thankyou for all the responses. and everyone else as well! I love that 7sage has this community where you can get answers !!!!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @BruiserWoods What the heck? I missed this switch - what happened?
    1706 karma
    @twssmith last week they moved my test center. then immediately sent another email moving my date AND time. :( so now it's friday, june 10 (a week from today) at 10 am :(
    1706 karma
    @twssmith THAT'S why i was like "can i have another peprally?" haha
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @BruiserWoods Hey Britt:) you have got this no matter what test day they give you!!!
    Count me in on a Pep Rally for you! We will make it happen no matter what:)
    1706 karma
    Ok :) <3 you @twss
  • lemyxolemyxo Free Trial Member
    10 karma

@"Mr.lopez" said:
    Hello everyone. I am taking the LSAT in september. As far as i understand those who have accommodations do not write the experimental section. but yet in my accommodation sheet it says the following:

so i asked LSAC if this mistake. and they said no.
    they even said the following :

There are 5 multiple-choices sections and 1 writing sample section with breaks between each section

does anyone have any thoughts on this

Hi Mr. Lopez or anyone who has taken the LSAT after the September 2016 so called policy change. Do extra break between section test takers have to take the experimental section?

10 karma

Can someone please let me know if this:

includes the experimental and the writing sample is separate; or is the 5th section the writing sample?

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma

@lemyxo,

Yeah, unfortunately the policy was changed and now students with accommodations have to take 5 sections and the writing sample. In other words, they have to take the experimental. This means the test is going to be quite long for students with accomodations.

This change was kind of controversial. I remember @"Dillon A. Wright" making a post about it, which is why I remember.

10 karma

wow... that makes no sense and so controversial. do they get their own room/proctor at least?

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

sorry to be out of the know, but I don't know what this special accommodations thing is. Can someone explain why some people get this version of the test and don't have to take the experimental section? Or that they get extra breaks?

This doesn't seem very fair to others, but I have no idea what qualifies one for this

• mitch.kohlmitch.kohl Member
    edited August 2017 14 karma

I had the extra time this June and took the experimental plus everything else that everyone else take. I don't see it as fair to only have 5 total sections including WS if everyone else has 6.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

This is very old. Most everyone has to take the experimental now. Locking this.

This discussion has been closed.