Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancel or wait for score?

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma
Hey guys,

I just took the June exam and I couldn't really get too much sleep the night before, about 3 hours. The first LR section was a bit hazy and I had some trouble doing the first few problems which otherwise shouldn't have been hard. Is a bad day's sleep grounds for cancelling?

Comments

• mandy xumandy xu Alum Member
    54 karma
    It depends...how bad do you think it was? Does "a bit hazy" mean you think you lost one or two more points than normal or you think you bombed the whole section? I had surgery before my first LSAT and didn't end up cancelling my score -- but I felt hazy through my first RC and my first LR, and ended up scoring -10 from those two sections alone.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    WAIT FOR SCORE!!!!!

It is NOT grounds for cancelling but is rather a nearly universal experience.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    @"mandy xu" There were couple of questions, in the beginning that I felt uncertain on which I thought after retrospect shouldve been easier. But to be honest, Im already forgetting if I legitimately bombed it or if I'm just blowing this up out of proportion.
    54 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast I feel the same way right now. I didn't feel 100% about my LG, which everybody else is saying was easy, but now thinking back on it, I can't think of a question that I was genuinely lost on. Same with my first LR, which I felt a little woozy on for the first page or two -- can only think of maybe a question or two I really felt unsure about.
    3788 karma
    Haha @"mandy xu" I felt the same way about LG. They weren't particularly hard but I didnt have time to answer some inference and could be true questions. I actually thought that the other PT 70s LG sections were easier, with the exception of PT 72
    54 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast Same! I'm freaking out that everybody else is saying that it's the easiest of the 70s -- I think I did way better on my experimental and it's killing me.
    3788 karma
    Im surprised some people say its the easiest. The RC and LR sections of PT 77 seemed much more straightforward for me.
  • abby.lu2017abby.lu2017 Alum Member
    112 karma
    What are the real benefits of canceling a score? I thought that we have the option to only send our highest scores to the schools we apply to?
    3788 karma
    @abby.lu2017 Law schools see all your scores, even though alot of them usually take your highest scores, some are vague and say they will either average the scores on their own discretion or consider all the scores in file.
  • abby.lu2017abby.lu2017 Alum Member
    112 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast hmmm, that's good to know. I'm also debating whether to cancel or not. Felt very hazy for the first two sections and not sure if I bombed them or not...
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @abby.lu2017 Following is the link to 7Sage Blog with advice about decisions post-test.
    https://7sage.com/lsat-final-stretch-withdraw-cancel-or-conquer/
    The tips on whether to "cancel" a score have been compiled with input from the years of past 7Sage's experiences and other resources for your exact situation. It is an individual decision - but I hope this helps:)

Excerpt from Blog:
    When to Cancel Your Score
    Fact: Everyone feels awful after they take the test. Expect that you will too. The worst thing for you to do is to obsess over all of the questions you weren’t sure about or how you could have diagrammed that game more effectively. And don't discuss the test with anyone else—both to preserve the integrity of the administration per LSAC's guidelines, and to preserve your sanity. It’s over, and you did your best.

It’s important to say that up front, because feeling icky after that test is not a reasonable grounds for cancelling your score.

There are three conditions that warrant score cancellation, and only three.

You are certain you had a bubbling error from which you were not able to recover. For instance, realizing that you started bubbling at #2 and were therefore one off for every answer in that section. If you are certain that this happened, then you should cancel your score.
    You had a medical emergency during the test, such as: an asthma attack, seizure, blackout, full-blown panic attack, etc. This list of conditions sounds extreme, because you should only cancel your score if something truly extreme happened.
    You had to leave the testing room for any reason and were not done with the section. If this happened for any reason, then this may be an serious enough condition for you to cancel you score.
    Again, please note that feeling bad about how you did is not grounds to cancel your score.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 8021 karma
    Another way to go is just never cancel and then write an addendum and all will be forgiven. I'm way too curious a person to ever cancel or take an undisclosed test.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Another way to go is just never cancel and then write an addendum and all will be forgiven.
    Agreed. My first two scores fell way short of what I wanted. If I score in September I feel like I kind of get an extra opportunity to promote myself. Assuming I get my score in the end, I’m totally fine with hanging in there and not canceling.