Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny comments from friends & family

kdeel296kdeel296 Alum Member
edited June 2016 in General 49 karma
Share the most unhelpful, naive, and downright stupid comments you have gotten so far regarding your LSAT studying and Law School admission process! I know I can't be the only one with some funny stories.

For example tonight at dinner my Dad said, "(Insert family member here) passed the LSAT in one try, so you ought to be able to too!"

UGH.

Comments

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Emailed my best friend saying that I rescheduled again for the Fall with the link to
    LSAT Final Stretch: Withdraw, Cancel, or Conquer
    https://7sage.com/lsat-final-stretch-withdraw-cancel-or-conquer/

Her response:
    "Goodness. This just boggles my mind. Take the test!! I know you are well-prepared! You're the smartest damn person I've ever met!"

One helluva Pep Talk!!
    Whatever happens with the lsat, I am so very fortunate to have great friends and my family to support me no matter how mis-directed their advice is...

Thanks to everyone on 7Sage for keeping it real and supporting everyone to not bow down to outside pressure and only take the test when they are ready:)
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Most people can be downright pushy. I get one atleast once a week. My mom once said hurry up so you can have kids before I die.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    A lot of people were shocked that I was retaking way back when I did ... They said, "But I'm certain you passed!" What the hell? Where did these people get the idea that the LSAT is pass/fail?
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    "(insert crappy regional school) IS A GREAT LAW SCHOOL! I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU THINK OTHERWISE!"
    I love my family and friends so darn much, I'm truly blessed to have such an awesome group of people who love me unconditionally.......but please, sit this one out hahaha
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    My friends are actually pretty good about this. One thing that helps is to just talk about the LSAT with people when these conversations inevitably come up. It may seem like a weird thing to go into with a Muggle, but subject matter is not what makes something interesting, it’s enthusiasm and passion. If you’re studying for the LSAT right, it’s hard not to develop a certain level of passion for it. It’s really surprising how engaged people can become when you allow yourself to really talk about the LSAT. I now have people bringing it up with me actually, reviving LSAT conversations where we left it off from last time. I’ve even had a couple people ask me for Logic Games for them to try out!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Thankfully, most of my friends have either been exposed to the LSAT or know people who took or are currently taking it.
    My family members are a different story. Here's my favorite, "You've probably reached your cap, just take the test." Yeah, right...
  • Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    171 karma
    I've certainly received many, if not all, of the comments on this thread at some time or another. I haven't determined the date on which I'll write the LSAT, and this seems to make my acquaintances more concerned than I am about it. (My close friends and family have been unbelievably supportive and understanding.) So in an effort to make the perfunctory exchange of pleasantries in passing conversation more bearable, I've begun to tell these individuals that I have, in fact, scheduled a date on which I plan to take the test. For some reason, this gives them some form of comfort that I don't quite know how to describe. Invariably, they nod their heads and say, "Good! I'm glad to hear that. I know you're ready! You'll pass!"--or something similar and to that effect. It's as if telling them that I've set a date gives them closure, as if it quells some fear or concern that they have for me (that I don't have for myself) and keeps their uninformed opinions at bay. However, if it surfaces in this empty exchange that I haven't set a date, their concern rises and I'm pestered with questions for, on average, 15 to 20 minutes. Cue the comments above. (I'm not bitter about this at all, I swear.)

Thank you to everyone on this forum and for the 7Sage culture in general. I dig this slow and steady approach.
    27809 karma
    @"Keane Xavier" said:
    I dig this slow and steady approach.
    I think George Washington said something like this. Or maybe it was a rabbit from a cartoon. Either way, it’s a good approach. And yeah, the not setting a date thing really does make people anxious for some reason.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited June 2016 477 karma
    Ha on not setting the date my dad was surprised that one could postpone it and even further surprised that you could cancel your score. He had both his hands on his head saying you are never going to get done . Is there s limit on how long you can try
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" same here! Good to know you also have people in your life genuinely caring about you taking the LSAT even if they might not understand the details of the exam :) this is a lonely and long process for the most part.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    He had both his hands on his head saying you are never going to get done . Is there s limit on how long you can try
    Love your Dad! It is so hard for people to understand!

@"Cant Get Right" I sent the 2007 LG section to my friend as a way to say this is a tough test and everyone needs to back-off. (granted she knows I am on 7Sage because I have sent her links to crack her up) She actually looked up the videos to understand how to solve them - although she couldn't care less about LSAT or the questions, she loves JY's voice!
  • jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
    244 karma
    Why don't you spend more time with me it can't be that hard - girlfriend
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Yesterday after my 20 year old son overheard yet another video (I was watching after completing a BR) said he "would like to try to take an LSAT and see if he could get a 180 on the first try without studying". With slight smirk & right eyebrow raised, I said great I will be glad to proctor it for you right now. He politely declined saying he didn't have time right now as he returned to the video game he was playing.

Truth is I would love to have both he and my husband take it at least once to get a remote idea of what it is like for all of us.
    27809 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    he "would like to try to take an LSAT and see if he could get a 180 on the first try without studying".
    LOL
    171 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Hahaha, interesting. I've heard that line attributed to Socrates, although somewhat apocryphally. Who knows. I'm glad someone else can confirm this phenomenon. How odd it is!
    27809 karma
    @"Keane Xavier" said:
    I've heard that line attributed to Socrates
    That was the name of the rabbit right? Haha, sorry. You’ll have to excuse my sense of humor when I’m attributing quotes to people. Just ignore me.
    171 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I think so, or maybe it was just the name of his carrot. Perhaps his name was George Washington? My memory eludes me. Perhaps I'll get a tattoo of that quote and just attribute it to whomever I want.

Haha, there's no need to apologize. A great friend of mine has a similar sense of humor. He'd always say, "In the great words of [some historical figure], [some quote that wasn't at all attributable to that figure]."
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    "You are going to do great; I'm sure of it".

No you are not sure, you don't know shit.
    27809 karma
    Your friend sounds hilarious @"Keane Xavier" , lol.