Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with the Wait

Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
in General 1650 karma
Here we are June LSATers..time to wait for scores.

What are some strategies for dealing with this horrible waiting game? Does anyone have cool plans now that the LSAT is over (for now at least)?

How do you all feel generally? Maybe it's psychological, but I feel like I under performed..I'm trying to estimate in my head what I went per section but I feel like I'm assuming anything I was unsure about was wrong. Is this normal? Basically looking to commiserate

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    Maybe it's psychological, but I feel like I under performed..I'm trying to estimate in my head what I went per section but I feel like I'm assuming anything I was unsure about was wrong. Is this normal?
    Yeah, this is normal, haha. It’s universal. One thing I wish I had known the first time was that they send an email when scores are posted. I was on LSAC all day every day, but the second test was much easier knowing I would be notified immediately.

Not a whole lot you can do to make the wait bearable. Just try to remember what you used to do before you studied for the LSAT and do that. Take a vacation or something if you can. Go see that friend in San Francisco you always talk about going to see but never do. Or whatever. It’s going to be a long month.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/32150

I'll put his right here. To my list i'd also add, hug a pet.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'm going to focus on work for now, and then I'm taking a vacation visiting family in Europe (different part of the family than the one I've just been seeing last week). Scores should be coming out just as we're sipping Champagne in France.
    Then I'm going to research testing centers for September, because I'm pretty sure I won't be happy with my June score. I can't believe I froze so pathetically on such an easy LG section (missed one for sure, guessed on 5ish, didn't follow my usual process of checking all answers on pretty much anything). For game 3 I just sat there looking at the rules like I'd never linked rules before in my life. Read through the answer choices and couldn't even put some hypos on paper. Totally lame and I wasn't even feeling nervous.
    Unless the rest of my test was perfect (highly doubtful considering I was scratching my head on a bunch of LR question and a couple of RC) it's beginning to look a lot like September.

I think I'll try somewhere other than Suffolk Law. The Law school told LSAC they were upgrading their video system on June 6 so they didn't have the rooms promised. Nobody got notified. I got there and the security guard told me they moved the LSAT to "8 Ashburton". How am I going to find that without a phone GPS? Thankfully I found a handful of other LSAT takers and we managed to get to the right building in time.
    Throughout the test I had this "rushed" feeling, and it seemed like my watch never quite made it all the way to 35 minutes, but I thought it was just me. Now there are 3-4 people on TLS talking about how the 4th floor Suffolk proctor systematically gave the 5 minute warning after 28 minutes and the pencils down after 33. Makes me feel less crazy, but I should have been able to do much better even in 33 minutes.
    Sorry about the vent. Now that it's out I'll go on with the other portions of my life.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Hey @"Ron Swanson" I actually feel just like you. Everyone was saying the test was the easiest of the PT 70s, but I certainly didn't feel that way. I felt the RC and LR from PT 77 was much easier and I felt I underperformed because I felt uncertain on numerous LR questions in the first section as well as the RC and LG. Is everyone taking a complete break from LSAT materials in the 3 weeks or doing some light LSAT work to maintain?
  • cal6005cal6005 Free Trial Member
    106 karma
    On the one hand, I commiserate with you because not knowing our scores is stressful. But on the other hand - there's so much else we can be focusing on now!

I allowed myself to obsess over the LSAT while I was in study mode, and to do everything I could to put myself in a position to succeed, because at that stage in the process, I still had control over the outcome. But now that the test is over, there is nothing I can do. It's not productive to stress about what I got on the LSAT (even though I'm still going to think about it a lot). I have no control over what my score is, so I'm going to try to divert my focus to admissions essays and things like that until scores are released :)

I felt like the test was easier than I expected. I'm not sure why I expected it to be harder than the billions of preptests I've taken, because it wasn't. Overall, I felt prepared, and I know that if I didn't reach my target score, it's not for lack of trying, which somehow sets my mind at ease.

Did anyone else feel overwhelmed with emotions after the test? After devoting so much time and energy into the test, I felt relieved but also like a significant and enjoyable chapter of my life had come to a close (hopefully). I'm going to miss the grind of studying and constantly striving to improve.

Anyways - congrats to everyone who took the test yesterday!!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    EVERYONE feels awful after the test.

Y'all go on Corey's office hours tonight and ask him about how shitty he felt after he sat for a test on which he got a 176. I remember he didn't feel good about it at all.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    WELL AT LEAST Y'ALL GOT TO TAKE IT ALREADY I'M SITTING HERE STILL GOT 3 MORE DAYS TIL GAME DAY BECAUSE LSAC HATES PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES.
    1706 karma
    Ok, obviously they don't hate us. I'm being dramatic. Like I do. But still. *BREATHES OUT THROUGH NOSE VERY LOUDLY - CROSSES ARMS*
    27809 karma
    Was wondering how you were handling all this B, haha. Got to be frustrating to see all this release and discussion and you’re still waiting. At least you didn’t get evacuated in the middle of it?
  • Edmond.DantesEdmond.Dantes Alum Member
    155 karma
    @cal6005 said:
    I'm going to miss the grind of studying and constantly striving to improve.
    I'm in the same boat. I have a full time job, and there were many days of work, LSAT, sleep, repeat. I kind of got used to and maybe "liked" the routine, because I felt focused. When I walked out of the exam, I felt "lost" for a second - what the hell am I going to do when I get home?

But that's all psychological. There's a lot of things you wanted to do throughout the prep time, and you should remember them and do them. There were a lot of friends, films, and fun that I need to catch up with.

But the battle is not over for me yet. Not until the scores come back and I decide if I need to re-take. So for me, I think of this wait time as the temporary respite before the next charge. Improvements doesn't stop here.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Well after you treat yourself, you can always dive right into the application process. Writing your PS/DS and emailing and calling teachers for recommendations and working on the CAS file if you haven't already done that.

I know some people felt that was a great distraction in previous tests. I know my experience will be a lot different than last time. But I hope to travel a bit.

Its good prep while youre waiting to hear back on apps which suppose to be the worst. Once all of my apps are in and December hits I'm going to go globe trotting. I think be cellphone and internet free for a few weeks will be the only way I dont go mad ha.
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    I've taken to Khan Academy, learning about probability and statistics
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    But yeah, probably going to avoid 7sage until our scores are posted! thanks for everything, until the end of the month, take it easy everyone!
    27809 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    I've taken to Khan Academy, learning about probability and statistics
    Love Khan Academy! Have fun!
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I think shoulder surgery, physical therapy, vacation & prep for law school will keep me pretty busy.
    1706 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" i'm dealing with it pretty much how you would expect. i wish i was done already. still nervous about circle games. basically i'm a ball of anxiety
    27809 karma
    Oh, don’t worry about circle games @BruiserWoods . You got circle games. Circle games are nervous about you.
    1706 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Circle games are nervous about you.
    all yall need to be nervous about me *prances away* *also cries*
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    Volunteer, workout, etc.
    I plan on hitting the gym at least 5 days a week post-LSAT, instead of my current 3-day schedule. A friend of mine started volunteering after taking the test.

@BruiserWoods That's the one type of game that I actually look forward to. Hated them at first, but for whatever reason they started clicking.
    4344 karma
    Just chill ... You'll all be fine ... I promise ...
  • cal6005cal6005 Free Trial Member
    106 karma
    @Edmond.Dantes and anyone else who is going to retake in September if your June score isn't what you wanted - how are you planning to study for the retake?

I also plan on retaking in September if my score isn't within my target range.
  • frielj1062frielj1062 Alum Member
    19 karma
    take every single PT again and review them question by question..my score moved from 155 to 168 between retakes. force feed yourself LSAT questions until the process of breaking down and answering questions becomes innate.
    1706 karma
    @cal6005 im gonna be retaking too if not in my range.

@MrSamIam im working out 5 days a week too! Training for my first NPC bikini competition :D
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    I think shoulder surgery, physical therapy, vacation & prep for law school will keep me pretty busy.
    Yep! Last Oct I was so busy I didnt even know what was going on. Hope your surgery goes well!
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Thanks so much @stepharizona!
    2086 karma
    @BruiserWoods Oh dang, look at you haha! Good luck with that, I'm sure it's a ton of hard work. I won't be entering a bikini contest any time soon, just trying to keep what I've worked so hard for...and make it better of course.
    1706 karma
    @MrSamIam my shoes came in and they are GLORIOUSSSSS
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Dam @BruiserWoods good luck!! Just curious what fitness youtubers u follow haha
    1706 karma
    @MrSamIam my shoes came in and they are GLORIOUSSSSS
    1706 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast buffbunny is my favorite and I also like hunnybunsfit I follow like 100+ on IG though #shortattentionspansprobs
    2086 karma
    @BruiserWoods Hahaha I had a feeling you would like them. My Powerlifts and extra PTs should be coming in next week!
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Dudes interested in good youtubers should check out strengthcamp, kinobody, and alpham. Each bring something different to the table
    1706 karma
    Oh I see how it is @"Ron Swanson" #nogirlsallowed
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 1650 karma
    You know me, leader of the He-man-woman-haters club
    1706 karma
    I will fight you. In a dress. XD
    1706 karma
    Just because I'm curious, is there any way to know how many people took the June 2016 exam?
    4344 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    Just because I'm curious, is there any way to know how many people took the June 2016 exam?
    Just FYI—number of takers in no way influences the curve (this is often why people ask this question). Curve is set when questions comprising a PT were given as experimentals.

Mike Spivey said takers were up by about 2% this June over last June.
    1706 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    number of takers in no way influences the curve
    oh that's not why I asked. I was trying to gauge the trend of possible applicants. Like how the numbers were down the last couple of years and people have predicted that more people would be taking again. Not that the number of LSAT takers is necessarily indicative of that, but I was just wondering because of that stuff. Not because of the curve.

I have a feeling the curve, at least on my test, will be not-that-generous, but who knows.
    4344 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    I was trying to gauge the trend of possible applicants. Like how the numbers were down the last couple of years and people have predicted that more people would be taking again.
    Really, really wouldn't worry about this. Strong apps are strong. Weak apps are weak. Law schools might just increase class sizes. Or people might randomly decide not to go to law school. Don't worry about the extraneous data points or trends. Predictions are just educated guesses.
    1706 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    Don't worry about the extraneous data points or trends.
    THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ALL DAY? BE PRODUCTIVE? HAAAA
    4344 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ALL DAY? BE PRODUCTIVE? HAAAA
    LOL LOL LOL

I KNOW THAT FEEL!!!! Uh let's see you could do some protein baking ??
  • 2 karma
    Hi! I know this is not totally relevant but since you all have already taken the test, is a black and white photo on your admission ticket sufficient? Or does it need to be color?

I'm among the Orlando group doing the retake this Saturday and had a color image on the previous ticket but do not have access to the same printer atm.
  • Liz L 123Liz L 123 Free Trial Member
    73 karma
    I had a black and white photo and had no issues getting in. Good luck!