Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR Through LSAC

LSATShinobiLSATShinobi Free Trial Member
in General 236 karma
Hello all, I just had a quick question about LORs. What is the ideal way to go about them? Is it best to have your recommender do it manually or to send them the LSAC form and do it through there? Any advice/opinion is welcomed. Thank you.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Either way is fine but not matter how you go about it make sure you always waive your right to view the letter. Law schools don't like to see that you had the ability to view the letter because this often results in the letter to not be as sincere. Hope this helps.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Doing it through LSAC is way better all around. It's all automated and they keep it in case you reapply and you can toggle what letters go where. Especially if you're applying to more than a handful of schools it can be a huge pain to make someone do that on their own. Furthermore, I believe most schools require that they come through LSAC.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Albertoduro1xx said:
    send them the LSAC form and do it through there
    Definitely this!!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited June 2016 7272 karma
    The LSAC's LOR service lets your recommender write only one letter that you can send to as many schools as you want. It also lets you know when the LSAC has received the recommendation, eliminating a major source of potential anxiety.

If your recommender prefers to upload her letter, you can use the LOR service to send her a request via email.

If your recommender prefers to use snail mail, you can print out an LSAC-provided form and send it to her, along with a stamped and addressed envelope. The recommender will have to send her letter and the filled-out form to the LSAC:

Law School Admission Council

PO Box 8508

Newtown, PA

18940-8508

Just ask which one he or she prefers.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    @david.busis last option seems like the easiest to me, especially from the professor's perspective.
    Also, I just began the course and wanted to let you know that I've really enjoyed it. Tremendously helpful and well worth the cost!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The last option is by far the most time consuming and has the most unknowns. If you request online through LSAC it is super smooth.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    The last option is by far the most time consuming and has the most unknowns. If you request online through LSAC it is super smooth.
    Agreed and the is an option that they can print out the letter and mail it in if they prefer. I actually had one of mine fax it in that way.... because well... thats what they wanted to do.

Also that way you attest to not seeing it, which law schools prefer.
    7272 karma
    Thanks @StopLawying!
  • Philip-1Philip-1 Member
    46 karma
    It sounds way better to use the LSAC's LOR service, but I think you should tell recommenders not to specify a certain school name so one single letter can be used for multiple schools.
    7272 karma
    @"Philip-1" The LSAC lets you label your letters and choose which ones go to which school. Occasionally, you may ask someone to write a targeted letter, but yes, it's easier if your recommenders write general letters.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Do it through LSAC, it'll be more convenient for both you and the recommender. Here is what I did:
    Contacted my recommender ahead of time and asked if they could write me a LOR.
    I told them to take their time and to get in touch with me when they are ready to submit it.
    Once I got an email from my recommender informing me that my LOR was ready, I submitted the LOR request form on LSAC.
    Followed up to thank my recommender.