Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apps Question

StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
in General 821 karma
Is there a specific order in which to take care of everything? For example, is it better to ask for LORs before you write your personal statement or after? I'm currently reading/learning about the process and plan to begin over the next few days. Here's the order which I came up with, would really appreciate if someone can tell me whether I'm going about this the right way.
1) Submit transcripts
2) Resume
3) Rough draft personal statement
4) Ask for letters of recommendation (give writers resume and PS to assist)
5) Revise and perfect PS

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Request transcripts and LORs first since you don't do much after that in both areas... Draft PS and resume and then alternate work on both to keep yourself fresh and not get too locked into either one... Then if need be you should have alternate resumes and an alternate PS to meet the random criteria of different schools. Hard to know exact requirements until apps are out but you can go off last year's apps to guide you. For example, some schools max out at 500 words for a PS while others are 2-4 or unlimited pages. Some want 2 page resumes, some want hours worked at each job. Do some research on your target schools and then respond accordingly.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    edited June 2016 821 karma
    @Pacifico thanks for always responding, really appreciate it!
    Only reason I put resume and rough draft of PS ahead of LORs is b/c I read somewhere that it's good to give your writer both so they have a basis for the letter. I guess you're saying it doesn't really matter?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    In my opinion you should be asking people that don't need to read anything about you to write you an awesome letter. Obviously if you don't have anyone like that then yes that could be a good plan. But I still think for professors it is better to send them things you wrote in their classes to better refresh their memories of who you are and how you performed for them.