Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why x Law" Question

Kristen BKristen B Member
in General 388 karma
Hello,

For an application I was instructed to provide a reason to why I am applying to a school. I have 1000 characters to do so. How should I go about doing so? Should I just expand on my personal statement and make it specific to how their school would aid me in achieving such goals?

Thanks in advance!

Kirsten

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Definitely relate it to how that school can cater to your law school goal(s) check out their clinics, externships, organizations etc and show how that fits with your goals.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 8021 karma
    Beyond what was already mentioned it is best if you can provide compelling reasons to indicate that you would absolutely attend if admitted. That could be relationships to alumni, family in the area to help lower your cost of living, etc.

Anyone can research the school and BS some bullet points about their awesome stuff (though far too few people do). Definitely do that but then extend it by making the Why X even more personal and powerful.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Ah definitely a great point @Pacifico
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    @"Kristen B"

The key is to research the school thoroughly. Try to talk to an alumnus or two. Visit if you can. Name the person you spoke to in the essay.

Don't bother mentioning the school's rank or "prestigious faculty." Instead, note the specific faculty, programs, and clinics you want to work with or participate in. The more easily you can discover a fact on Google, the less impressive it is.

"Why School X" questions are, at heart, an interest test. Schools are trying to protect their yield by weeding out people who answer this question lazily. Your essay should demonstrate a deep knowledge of the school.

As Pacifico said, it's also legitimate to say that you want to go to a school because of location. Try to show them that you really do want to enroll.
  • joecarterruskeyjoecarterruskey Free Trial Member
    166 karma
    Wait, how are you filling out applications already? Can we start working on them?
  • Kristen BKristen B Member
    388 karma
    Thank you so much everyone! Such great advice. @montahar @Pacifico @david.busis
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Question: do ALL apps ask this question? I am applying to at least 4. & wondering if this is something I need start preparing ×4.
  • Kristen BKristen B Member
    edited June 2016 388 karma
    @hmccabe1214 No, out of the five schools I applied to only one asked.