Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That Linger Feeling of a Past Bad Score

pirateJLD16pirateJLD16 Member
in General 24 karma
How do BAD past scores come into play with admissions? I have a lingering feeling that this LSAT (September) will not mean much for my chances for a good law school. I am studying but the feeling of worry is there.

Little back story. The last time I took the test I had life hitting me pretty vigorously. I was taking an accelerated summer session in undergrad and two days before the test, I was in a car accident and got a concussion. Being as how the accident kind of knocked me out for a few seconds without knowing it or blacked out one, I didn't believe I had one. Walked into the test with sleep deprivation already from trying to keep up in class, but with an added concussion. I do not believe that was my best test ability because I was there in my seat, but could not focus. The whole time I had a headache or wanted to sleep. After the test day, being told I had a concussion, I decided to cancel the test (obviously) but with everything that happened, it slipped my mind. My own fault for not canceling it in time I know, but now with the number sticking I am worried it will stick in my admissions decision.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Sorry about what happened to you, hope all is well.

Unless you're applying for Yale, Law Schools only care about your highest score, so you don't have to worry if you plan on retaking.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Also David is doing a webinar on admissions right NOW & currently taking questions if you want to ask that question to him personally!

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/7781/now-webinar-intro-to-admissions-with-david-busis-wed-9pm
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Holy...that was by far the most intense thing I've read on this site! hope you're doing okay!
    On another note, you def don't have to worry about that LSAT score, it truly doesn't represent what you've studied for the LSAT because of what you've endured right before the exam. Normally, one would have opted out of taking the exam but since you didn't, you can include what happened in an Addenda. Retake the LSAT only when you've mastered the skills and are scoring at your target for PTs/BR; I'm sure you'll do much much better. Overall you should NOT worry about this LSAT score, even if you were applying to Yale because of the unforeseen circumstances that occurred prior to the exam.
    11542 karma
    The worst thing you can do now is keep that score in your mind. There's nothing you can do about it now except move forward. Many (very wise and intelligent) folks on this site will be sitting for the LSAT a third time and are not letting previous scores scare them away from pursing their dream(s), you should follow suit! :D

PS- I will be taking the LSAT for a 3rd time after 2 horrendous scores...just move forward, you aren't alone :)
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    As long as the first score was below the national average I would highly recommend canceling September and applying for accommodations from LSAC. I also have a TBI from a bad parachute landing and I didn't know I could have gotten accommodations until after I took the test and scored slightly too high for them to be awarded after the fact. It can be a long process but given the huge variety of post TBI symptoms it is surely worth your while.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 8021 karma
    Furthermore, not only would nobody care about that score, but you also have the easiest LSAT addendum to write.
    11542 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    you also have the easiest LSAT addendum to write.
    the accuracy lol
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @pirateJLD16 definitely go with the addendum and don't sweat it! I feel your pain. I was diagnosed with cancer 5 days before taking the test for the 1st time. Admittedly, I was not prepared but there's no way that news did not affect my score. I believe I could've just filled out the answer sheet and bubbled in my name and birth date all nice and neat and walked out and I could've received the same score as I did sitting there for 5 hrs! It was just horrible! I had no time to dwell on that score though because 3 days after that I started chemo. I know that score is probably devastating for you but look at it this way, you just have more time to prepare. Go for September if you know you're prepared, if not December. If you let this affect you, it will. Your feelings are natural but no need to let this score throw you off your game. It looks like your issue is with that score but I think we would all be surprised if you weren't good to go with an addendum. Cheer up!
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    I'm new to this site but I can totally relate. Though I didn't get into an accident and recognize that your situation is likely more extreme than mine, I feel totally disappointed with my score. I have been struggling with insomnia for about 9 months now and didn't sleep for two full days before the exam. That means 48+ hours without sleep. Took its toll and my anxiety was out the roof. And then the tropical storm came to Florida which made the electric go out a couple of times during the test as well as slamming the doors open and shut. I wasn't very good about timing myself until the last weeks and didn't take any practice tests in a testing environment (though I did take a good 15-20), but I was testing at 172. I got a 159 on this exam and I knew that it would be bad when I walked out. HUGE DROP. No sleep, tropical storm and electric problems... well, they won. I'll be signing up for Sept or December. Will follow your post to see recommendations because that score is looming over my head too and I know I need to kick it to do better next round.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27878 karma
    Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, you'll have a great reason to write an addendum which is just another opportunity to represent yourself in a positive light. No one cares about your lowest score. Their rankings are determined based on the highest score of the students they enroll. That's all they care about, so it will have no effect on your application.
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    I agree about the addendum. I know that I plan on writing the addendum, and even attaching something about the storm directly hitting the testing facility. I think you, PirateJLD, should too. Fingers crossed we do get the scores we want on the next take. Maybe pick up some meditation for clearing negativity. I know that has helped me in the past.