Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

personal statement(s)

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
in General 1501 karma
I have drafted two personal statements... and I am unsure of with which to proceed. As of right now, I am not financially able to purchase the package to get David's help but I hope to be able to before application submission this fall, so meanwhile... would any of you like to take a look at my two personal statements and tell me if you think I should go with one or the other? They are in extremely rough formats, and I just would like input on which one to proceed with using before I spend the time on one or the other in editing, revising, polishing, etc etc etc. One is a story of an event in my life where I made a difficult decision. The other is basically about me and what lead me to where I am. The latter is so cliche` and I really want to stand out (as we all do). I plan on doing a diversity statement about myself and single parenthood, so I feel like if I use the PS that speaks about "me" and single parenthood, that the diversity statement is then redundant, so that leads me to think the event story is better to go with, if I do the DS.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I'd like to help! I'll message you :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    The event story definitely sounds better. Specifics make for much better narratives than broads. If you want to message me, I'd be happy to let you know what I think, for whatever it's worth.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"dytmom_3x" said:
    One is a story of an event in my life where I made a difficult decision
    Agreed without even reading this one. You dont want to review your resume or things of that nature in a PS. You might be able to use some aspect of the "lifestory" PS for a diversity statements, so both items you wrote might yield results.

Its could to see youre already thinking about both.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @montahar wanna read my draft!?
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    I just don't know how appropriate the story is. Ughhhhh.
    11542 karma
    @BruiserWoods ummm only if you read mine? :D
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    DEFINITELY @montahar i <3 reading personal statements!
    11542 karma
    Holly don't worry!! I think you should also pass it by @"Cant Get Right" (his username is highly unrepresented of his knowledge haha)
    11542 karma
    Yaaaas ok I'll send it to you tonight or tomorrow. Send me yours whenever!
    11542 karma
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    ahhhh i don't know about that guy..... i have considered politely begging him to change the avatar as it gives me chills. LOL..... ;-)