Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very Important Future Decision

Matthew524Matthew524 Member
edited July 2016 in General 651 karma
So I am a bit lost about what I should do. I got a 158 on my first LSAT in June, it was an 11 point increase from my 147 diagnostic. I attend Fordham University and have a 3.3 GPA. The reason for my low GPA is because I am epileptic ( I have uncontrollable seizures), my first two years at Fordham I barely kept a 3.0 because I was in and out of the hospital and once the office of disabilities got involved my GPA drastically increased my junior year. My fall semester of junior year I earned a 3.918 and my spring semester I earned a 3.6. This was a drastic increase especially because I learned how to manage my time especially with my disability. I was thinking about writing an addendum about my GPA explaining my situation. I was wondering should I re-take my LSAT in September, my dream school is Columbia University but I would be more than happy to attend schools such as Emory University, Georgia State, ASU (Arizona State University- O'Connor), Boston University, or Boston College. I come from an unprivileged background (grew up in poverty) and I am a minority ( middle eastern). Please help me!!! I am considering taking a re-take of the LSAT in September and I want other peoples opinions before July 4th, because July 5th I hope to begin studying again if I decide to take it over. Really need some input!! Thank You!! =)

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Marhaba! (Middle eastern as well lol) Congrats on the 11 pt increase. I see no harm in retaking the LSAT, unless it will be your fourth, that will raise suspicion for the AddComms. If that's not the case, by all means retake once you've hit your target score in your PTs and BR! Never rush applying to LS....dish out the highest score you possibly can do and rack up the scholarship $$$.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Definitely retake! Schools only count your highest score so don't worry too much about the 158. Plus, you have a great reason to explain your 3.3 GPA so with a good LSAT score you no doubt will be able to get into some great schools.
    11542 karma
    Since you have a 7sage pack, if you're dedicated and give it time, I think you can go well above and beyond a 158; it happens way too often around here :)
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @montahar I was thinking about taking it over as well, but I was wondering would my disability hold me back, especially because how badly my GPA suffered because of it.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I'd say go for it. And definitely write that addendum essay.
    651 karma
    @montahar I was fellow under J.Y. so I have access to a lot of LSAT material and individuals who are able to help me. Also in September it would be my second time taking my LSAT, June was my first time.
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    And definitely write that addendum essay
    Exactly ^ also see if you can take the LSAT with accommodations, I would contact LSAC about this.
    edited July 2016 651 karma
    How should I go about studying again as well? I am a bit confused about where I should start again. Also the LSAC already gives me accommodations because I still suffer from my epilepsy.
    11542 karma
    Where did you "leave off"? did you already begin with 7sage for the June exam?
    @montahar I completed the 7sage curriculum and I did preptests 50-73 in preparation of the June LSAT
    11542 karma
    @Matthew524 said:
    I completed the 7sage curriculum and I did preptests 50-73.
    then you should have a good idea of where your weakness is at. Review the lessons even if it seems redundant and don't take a PT until you're fully confident in your performance.
    11542 karma
    Welcome.
  • InluskwetrustInluskwetrust Alum Member
    60 karma
    Like I put in another discussion I think that if you feel as though you could do better... I say go for it and do it . If not, you will just wonder if you could have done better or not ! Also I got a 168 and I am retaking it so if you need any study help or anything i am open to help as much as I can !
    27809 karma
    As for how to start studying again, I suspect better BR habits could benefit you. How are you BRing?

Another thing that's helped me break my plateaus, which is more psychological, is I don't ever let myself be happy, lol. It sucks but there's been a lot of value in it. If I score a 179 on a PT, I focus on what I missed and try to be pissed off about it. It's easy during PTs to look for physiological validation, but if you find it, it becomes really difficult to proceed constructively. Focus on how you can improve.

So if SA questions are your jam, then you can't miss an SA question or it's no longer your jam. If you do, tell yourself you were overconfident and realize you still have work to do in conditional reasoning. It's painful to force your psyche to realize you aren't where you thought you were, but it's the only way to improve. It's just too easy to chalk something up to a "careless" error in an effort to avoid it. But you'll never improve if you're not letting yourself acknowledge your weaknesses. This may not even be an issue for you, but I think it's kind of a big underlying issue for everyone. It's just human nature doing what it does best and wreaking havoc on our best intentions.
    11542 karma
    Omg ^ @"Cant Get Right" why can't i bookmark comments lol. I guess I'll screenshot and possibly make a shirt out of it.
    651 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" thats an interesting way to study. I am not going to lie, when I see I made a careless mistake, I just move on and say I need to pay more attention without giving it more thought. But I will definitely take your advice!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" is the advice master. he is so amazing at helping you put things into perspective. that's why he don't know yet but we getting married. (also i have proposed to like 3 other 7sagers so offer still stands for y'all too if you're reading this.
    651 karma
    @BruiserWoods i have witnessed the marriage proposals
    1706 karma
    @Matthew524 the world just needs more love, man. You know?
    27809 karma
    Are poly marriages even legal yet @BruiserWoods ?
    I think as future lawyers we can definitely make a case for it @"Cant Get Right". I'm sure @BruiserWoods wouldnt mind helping us make the case for it.
    27809 karma
    With all her 7Sage spouses, she's going to have to!
    651 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" i laughed really hard at that while sitting in the library
    1706 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" @Matthew524 y'all don't worry about things like "is that legal" I'll figure this out ok