Am I delusional? + Pros and Cons of retaking

warriorofthehighlandswarriorofthehighlands Free Trial Member
edited July 2016 in General 13 karma
So I took the LSAT for the second time (cancelled my first time) in June and I got a 160, a few points lower than I was expecting. I have a 3.5 GPA and I am an URM (son of Mexican immigrants). I have very good LORs and a pretty strong resume as well as a nontraditional back story. I am aiming to get into a top 20 law school with a scholarship and I am wondering if I am delusional for thinking that I have a shot of that happening with my current stats.

I am considering retaking in September but I don't know if it would be more trouble than it's worth. For example, if I were to retake (this would be my third time) and I got a score that was very similar (or god forbid, lower) than a 160, would that just look bad? I don't want to go through the laborious process of studying for this damn thing just to make myself an even less competitive applicant. Thanks for any input!!

Edit: I am also currently working 45 hours a week and I would be doing that leading up to the Sept LSAT. That could end up being beneficial since I was doing nothing but studying LSAT for the months leading up to the June one and I felt really burned out.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    So it looks like both of your stats are hovering around the 25th percentile for schools in the 15-20 rankings range. Even with excellent softs, that's going to be a tough sell. And scholarship money is going to be even harder.

I think gearing up for a third take would be a good call if you'd like to remain committed to your T20 goal. With your GPA at 25th percentile, you ideally want your LSAT to fall at or above the 75th percentile.
  • warriorofthehighlandswarriorofthehighlands Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Oh even with the URM boost? I am pretty ignorant as to how much it helps. And if I were to retake, do you recommend any specific course of action since I have already completed the 7sage curriculum and have seen every PT at least once?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    I'm not entirely sure how much URM helps, I'm a white dude so I haven't had much reason to look into it, lol. But from what I understand, it it's by that much. There are a lot of others who can give you much better info on that than I can.

And I wouldn't worry too much about retakes. There's still a lot of value left in them. And completing the 7Sage curriculum doesn't at all mean you can't go back. It covers the whole test and you just need to reinforce your weak spots. 7Sage curriculum is the best way to do that. Plenty of work to do, and the best resources from before remain your best bet.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited July 2016 3197 karma
    A URM can be a fairly big boost, but that depends on the school.

I follow a person on Instagram who is URM, 3.6/165 LSAT and is a 1L at Harvard (She was someone who posted every step of the journey with #, LSAT score, retakes, acceptances, it was really informative to the process) . She pretty brilliant, doing very well there and landed an amazing summer internship too, but a non URM wouldn't stand a chance with those stats. I dont know if she received aid from Harvard.

Since you mention the desire for a scholarship, I would retake to be safe.

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    I say give it a shot and retake. But since this your 3d take you better make it count. If you're not ready by sept take it another time, pero ponte las pilas.

Retakes are definitely valuable. I've learned alot from my retakes by comparing the questions got wrong or right and really honing in on the ones I got wrong twice. If you remember the question, make sure you understand why the answer choice is right and the others are wrong.
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    I'd retake if you are wanting to get into the top 20, and particularly if you want to get scholarship money. Unless you have a major reason not to take it, that money can multiply by hundreds for scholarships. I greatly under performed for my June 2016 exam and while I am confident in getting admission to the schools I want, I am retaking specifically for scholarship money.
  • warriorofthehighlandswarriorofthehighlands Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    So I also forgot to mention that if I do decide to retake, I will have to juggle studying with writing up my PS and working full time (about 45 hours a week). That being said, it could end up being a blessing in disguise since the months leading up to the June LSAT i was doing literally nothing else but studying and I felt really really burned out :/
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    edited July 2016 140 karma
    While studying is time consuming and that definitely needs to be considered in your decision, I think that your mention above is a good point. Sometimes the anxiety and worry of the exam ends up taking a toll. I know it did for me!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    I follow a person on Instagram who is URM, 3.6/165 LSAT and is a 1L at Harvard (She was someone who posted every step of the journey with #, LSAT score, retakes, acceptances, it was really informative to the process) . She pretty brilliant, doing very well there and landed an amazing summer internship too, but a non URM wouldn't stand a chance with those stats. I dont know if she received aid from Harvard.
    what's her username? :P
  • Texaslawyer44Texaslawyer44 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    I bombed the LSAT in June horribly. And I caught my #1 school choice in a HUGE lie ! I don't think I can be ready for the September test. I'm too angry, bitter and depressed to do it justice. Frankly, if I got killed in a car wreck, I'd be ok with it. I feel so fucking stupid and worthless.