[Ended] Webinar PS Topics + Admissions —Thurs, July 7th 9PM

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited July 2016 in Webinars 7262 karma

Hi 7Sagers,

On Thursday, July 7, at 9 p.m. EST, I’ll tell you everything I know about choosing a topic for your personal statement. I’ll give you prompts, explain some common mistakes, and show you a few examples.

The presentation will probably last about twenty minutes. After that, I’ll take questions about any aspect of the admissions process.

To join, just follow this link: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/283859861

Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended. You can also call in using your telephone:

1. Dial +1 (571) 317-3122.
  2. Use the access code 283-859-861.
  3. Use the audio PIN shown after joining the meeting.

We’ll use Citrix GoToMeeting. The meeting ID is 283-859-861.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Another Webinar? What have I done to deserve this? I'll be there!
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma
    Thank you so much for doing this!
  • aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
    76 karma
    This is probably a silly question, but will this be recorded and uploaded for future reference or do we have to attend in order to hear the presentation and Q&A?
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @aleun62 said:
    This is probably a silly question,
    no such thing! :D
    All webinars given by @david.busis will be recorded and uploaded for viewing in all the Admissions packages (from Starter to Ultimate+)
    Check it out here: https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/
  • emmmmmmmemmmmmmm Alum Member
    269 karma
    Hi David,

In Canada, most schools only require applicants to submit a personal statement. Because of this, would you advise applicants in Canada to format their personal statement(s) differently? As we don't have the option of submitting a résumé, is it acceptable to put a stronger emphasis on work experience in a personal statement? Thanks.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    @montahar thanks for replying! A small correction - the actual webinar itself will NOT be uploaded. However, the content of the presentation will be available in the Admissions courses (all levels).
  • aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
    76 karma
    @"J.Y. Ping" Thank you for clarifying!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited July 2016 7262 karma
    @emmmmmmm It depends on the actual question. Different prompts ask for different kinds of essays. But to clarify, it's always okay to talk about your work experience (even in the US), and never okay simply to list all the jobs you've done (even in Canada).
  • emmmmmmmemmmmmmm Alum Member
    269 karma
    @david.busis Ok, thanks for the clarification.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    I plan on being there!
  • kateoutdoorskateoutdoors Free Trial Member
    6 karma
    First of all, thank you for hosting this webinar! The one specific question I have regards topic and general layout. Upon searching for examples I found the University of Chicago page that lists current student's letters. They are all anecdotal and tell stories, personal triumphs, etc. Rarely do they mention work experience or how they will use their specific skills to be successful in law school and beyond. Another source I found stated that letters which only include anecdotal stories or begin in the way the the UofC letters did, is wrong and appalling. So, which is valid? Starting a letter with a quirky story or personal introduction (Ex."I fell in love for the first time when I was four. That was the year my mother signed me up for piano lessons." from a student at UofC), or sticking to straight-forward facts about one's qualifications?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @kateoutdoors said:
    First of all, thank you for hosting this webinar! The one specific question I have regards topic and general layout. Upon searching for examples I found the University of Chicago page that lists current student's letters. They are all anecdotal and tell stories, personal triumphs, etc. Rarely do they mention work experience or how they will use their specific skills to be successful in law school and beyond. Another source I found stated that letters which only include anecdotal stories or begin in the way the the UofC letters did, is wrong and appalling. So, which is valid? Starting a letter with a quirky story or personal introduction (Ex."I fell in love for the first time when I was four. That was the year my mother signed me up for piano lessons." from a student at UofC), or sticking to straight-forward facts about one's qualifications?
    Great question! Make sure you attend the webinar tonight and ask it then so you can get David's reply. :)
    13940 karma
    Hey guys, just a reminder that this is starting in about 20 minutes. See you!
    edited July 2016 13940 karma
    Sadly, the webinar is over. Happily, it existed for a glorious hour. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did. A great big THANK YOU to @david.busis for hosting.

If you missed this or want more, pick up one of the Admissions courses here: https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions