PT10.S1.Q18 - people cannot be morally responsible

ChiTownGuyChiTownGuy Alum Member
edited July 2016 in Logical Reasoning 179 karma
Can someone help me with this one?

I don't understand why B is not right. The stimulus I thought was saying that if it's something you don't have control over, then you are not responsible for it. And Therefore, If it's a consequence of something you don't have control over, the you should be held responsible.

Then it says that everyone sometimes acts in ways that are a consequence of treatment they received as infants, so doesn't that make the inference that everyone sometimes acts in ways that they are shouldn't be held responsible for. So therefore, I don't understand how E is the correct answer but B is not supported. Because my thinking was that for E, it talks about adults only, and the stimulus says that everyone, including little children and like adolescents, sometimes acts in these ways that you shouldn't be held responsible for.

So doesn't that mean that you could have been like 12 and acted in some way that was a consequence of treatment you received as an infant, and then as an adult you never did that again. So how is B not the right answer because that's exactly the possible that it captures and E doesn't Also, for B, i was hesitant over its saying "commonly performed" but then, if everyone sometimes does it, that's commonly performed, is it not?

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    For me, I immediately eliminated B due to the "commonly preformed" as that is never discussed, plus if they are commonly preformed wouldn't people have control over them?

A, seemed attractive at first, but it goees way too far
    B. to me was out of scoped as in introduced a new concept, plus we dont know about any exceptions, so I eliminated it.
    C. Talks about adults who claim, so that is out of scope
    D. Is a negation of the relationship, plus we dont know that.
    E. Is the correct answer as it is supported because no adult can be held responsible for every action, because as the stimulus provided there are some actions we have no control over.
  • ChiTownGuyChiTownGuy Alum Member
    179 karma
    I guess where I'm struggling with E is that I feel like it's not strictly supported because it talks about adults only, and from the stimulus, it says that everyone sometimes acts in ways that they shouldn't be held responsible for. So like I mentioned in the initial post, I feel like if taken at a very minimum, it means that everyone does things they shouldn't be held resp for at least once in their lives. So can't that mean that they did something when they weren't and adult and then as an adult they never didi it again. So therefore it wound't be supported. With B, it's says that there are certain commonly performed actions (commonly performed as in everyone does them at least once) that no one performing them should be held responsible, because they are consequences of stuff we had no control over. How is that not supported?
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited July 2016 3197 karma
    @syed.216 said:
    feel like if taken at a very minimum, it means that everyone does things they shouldn't be held resp for at least once in their lives.
    Yes perfect. This is in fact what E is saying. E is essentially saying that there is at least one action that an adult does (or HAS done) that an adult should not be held morally responsible for. Why? Because we are told "people cannot be held morally responsible for things they have no control over". So given that, we would have to assume that there is at least one action that is out of our control.

I think you are caught up in everyone vs adult vs people vs children.

We are looking for something that must be true if we we are following the facts stated in the stimulus.

With all of the fact given, B could be true, but it definitely is not a must be true component

The argument goes off in a bit of a tangent, shifting the language from more responsibility for things they have no control over, to do adults have control over the treatment they receive. It then tells us that babies do not have control over their treatment, so they are not morally responsible for that treatment, but for adults it is difficult to determine.
    @syed.216 said:
    So can't that mean that they did something when they weren't and adult and then as an adult they never didi it again.
    Sure but arent babies people? Or teenagers people? And it doesn't say that the adult must have done whatever action it was when they turned 18 or 21... maybe they did it when they were 12... but because of what we know from the stimulus an adult should not be held morally responsible for EVERY action EVER performed...

Does that help at all?
  • ChiTownGuyChiTownGuy Alum Member
    179 karma
    Yeah I definitely see the distinction now!! Thanks!! :) I think pointing out that B could be true vs. E must be true really clarified it for me.