Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advantage for Sept. v. December LSAT?

mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
in General 631 karma
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has already been discussed on 7sage.. however, I have been out of the 7sage loop for a couple of months and am not too sure where to find this, if that is the case.

I'm wondering.. are there any advantages (or disadvantages) for Sept. test-takers v. Dec. in regards to the admission process? I'm debating between the two for consideration to law school Sept. 2017. Obviously, Dec. would be favourable due to the additional study time, but if Sept. is advantageous for e.g. early admissions, more spots available etc., I would definitely consider this.

Any advice and/or information is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Maxine

Comments

• LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    edited July 2016 1024 karma
    Yes, many.

Use the search bar and look up other answers. This will help you for 2 reasons.

1. You will instantly get several viewpoints

2. 100's of people have talked about this and you will be able to find more information looking around for 15 minutes than from this entire thread.

To answer the question, take the test when you are ready to score the score you want. Following that the earlier you apply in the admissions cycle the better. So if you are going to use Sept score to apply then you would be better off as there is more money on the table from schools/ more open spots. If you end up not applying with Sept score and retaking in Dec you threw out an attempt and gave up what little advantage there is anyways.

TL/DR Take when you are ready.

Good luck!
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    I agree with the above, take the test when you are ready. So you're applying in September 2017 or you would like to begin law school in September 2017? If the latter then the upside to taking in September is that by the time you get your score back, it will still be early in the cycle, therefore you can get your apps in early. December, you can still apply this cycle but January is considered to be late.
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @TheMikey

Yes, sorry - would like to begin Sept. 2017 (apply this November). Thanks for the info!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    Not quite sure if I agree with the above. According to the Spivey Consulting Webinar, add.comms usually don't look at applications until after Thanksgiving break, and that's even for HYS. Applications are at an all time low for now and the next coming years. Many schools even allow the February LSAT for the same year admissions. (EDIT: a small amount of schools will even take the JUNE LSAT nowadays but don't take up this offer, odds are scholarship money would declined severely at this point lol.) Don't get me wrong taking the LSAT earlier will be better but that's ONLY if you take it when you're fully prepared. Please learn from my lesson. I wasted two valuable LSATs and took them when I was extremely underprepared. Now I'm on my third take and refusing to sign up until I'm scoring in the high 160s-170s in my PTs and BR--that's a promise lol.
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    In any event yes take a look around this site's forum to see what others have said over this famous question! I was wondering when this question would appear again :P
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    It really only matters if you are applying early decision, which is usually impossible to do with a Dec LSAT.
  • JerseyRhk3JerseyRhk3 Alum Member
    114 karma
    hey @montahar quick question if you knew whether the Spivey Consulting Webinar was going to be posted or not ? Unfortunately, I couldn't make it that night, and thought it would be posted.. but I haven't seen it up.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Rhkurtz3 said:
    hey @montahar quick question if you knew whether the Spivey Consulting Webinar was going to be posted or not ?
    Sorry, that particular webinar is lost to the world at this point due to technical issues. The original webinar is on our Youtube page!
  • JerseyRhk3JerseyRhk3 Alum Member
    114 karma
    Sounds great! Thank you @"Nicole Hopkins"
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Most admissions experts I've read have said a better score will ALWAYS do more for you than applying early. If you don't have the score you need, applying early won't help. So if December means a better score, than December is probably the best choice. I also wouldn't rule out registering for both (if you can afford it). A lot of people score better their second take because they're a little more acclimatized to the stress/anxiety of test day.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @bjphillips5 said:
    Most admissions experts I've read have said a better score will ALWAYS do more for you than applying early.
    100%
  • gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma
    I'm in the exact same boat as you! I plan on writing both though, just because I'm not sure if my nerves will get the best of me the first time around. Also from what I've been told from friends who wrote the test multiple times and are now in law school a higher LSAT score > early application, in terms of increasing chances of acceptance.
  • 46 karma
    I was just thinking about this also.. I took my first PT today and scored 144. Safe to say I am pretty disappointed especially since I was hoping I could take the Sept. LSAT for admission in the same cycle you are. I think if your reaching the score you want in August then go for September, but if not, I like most, would advise you hold off until you're at the score you want! Good luck!
    631 karma
    @bjphillips5, @gparmar92
    I guess I should have included this.. I wrote in June as my practice with the intention of cancelling that score (and went into it, cancelling on the scantron). This was awesome practice, and I don't regret my choice one bit. That test completely helped build confidence and eliminated my level of nervousness going into the next one. But, clearly this narrows my choice because I have to pick Sept OR Dec. :(

11542 karma
    Usually the LSAT is good to be capped at 3 takes not 2. So you shouldn't stress too much, see how well you prepare from now until the Sept registration date gets close to bring closed. If you're not scoring where you want to be at just postpone:) consistency is key
    631 karma
    Yes, but two per year @montahar haha. Thanks, though. That is definitely the plan.. Start getting back into studying and see where my score leads me :)
  • Jaclyn123Jaclyn123 Member
    14 karma
    I'm actually facing the same struggle. I ultimately decided, that spending an extra month studying will be more beneficial and ease my anxiety than taking it in September and being able to apply immediately. I think it's all about how you're doing on your studying and how anxious you are.I took my LSAT last year and was not prepared at all. I personally rather apply a little bit later with my best score than apply sooner with an alright score. I hope this helps! I had a mini flip out about this a week ago.
    11542 karma
    You can't take the LSAT more than 3 times in a 2 year period.
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    es, but two per year @montahar haha.
    I thought it was 3 takes within 2 years, regardless of if you take them all within the same year or not. Am I mistaken?
    11542 karma
    That's correct @solkrios
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon: wait until you're ready. The probability of getting a higher score trumps all other considerations.

If all other factors were equal, I'd say take the test earlier to give yourself time to work on your application and retake if necessary. But all other factors aren't equal.
  • 342 karma
    Me personally my anxiety is also high because Sept is my best option and almost my only option if I want to enroll in 2017. My job's busy season starts in Oct and ends in late Feb... So my extra time to study won't really exist but I know I have to be close to my target. Sighs. This is a great thred with excellent advice though. Thx!
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    But, clearly this narrows my choice because I have to pick Sept OR Dec. :(
    @mcmlaw36 why? You can take the LSAT thrice in two years.
    Also, this statement validates the advice, oft-repeated on this forum, that you should never intentionally waste a take.
    631 karma
    @montahar said:
    That's correct
    REALLY?? I DID NOT KNOW THIS. Thanks everyone!
  • gferrerjrgferrerjr Member
    14 karma
    I was in the same boat. I took the June LSAT and didnt do well at all. I was going to originally take the September LSAT, but after using the study schedule and realizing I really didn't prep for June at all (basically my Diagnostic), I would be studying for 70 hours a week on average. I decided to pushback and take December. I know for college students, December is hard for the simple fact that finals are usually around this time. I would say if you can, take December if you feel that you will not be ready for September. You can always apply for the September exam and then move your date.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Some elite law schools do not take the February scores which is what you would take if you were not pleased with your December score. It also depends on what year you are in. If you are a senior, I would recommend taking it in September but if you are younger there is no rush.
    11542 karma
    There shouldn't be a rush whether you're a senior,1 year out of college or 2 or 20. This test will make or break your application. Its weight is heavier than your GPA. Heavier than your PS. Heavier than your letters of recommendation. Take all the time you need for this test. Law school ain't going no place :)
    631 karma
    Best advice @montahar :) Thanks again.
    631 karma
    Also, to @combsni .. 1 year out of university (but currently working 3 jobs). Definitely feeling the time pressure, but I know that it'll be worth it if I can score the extra little bit. I won't settle for anything less than a top school.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    edited July 2016 652 karma
    Another thing to keep in mind is that it is different for everyone. What works for me might not work for @mcmlaw36 or vice versa, at the end of the day it depends on the individual, no mold fits all.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    edited July 2016 1049 karma
    @montahar said:
    Its weight is heavier than your GPA
    Unless, you're applying to Faculty of Law at University of Ottawa where they value your CGPA more than anything else in the application. But then again, vast majority of law schools place a heavy weight on the LSAT, even in Canada, so @montahar 's advice is on point.
  • gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma
    @montahar said:
    There shouldn't be a rush whether you're a senior,1 year out of college or 2 or 20. This test will make or break your application. Its weight is heavier than your GPA. Heavier than your PS. Heavier than your letters of recommendation. Take all the time you need for this test. Law school ain't going no place :)
    You're right @montahar. Best advice I've read here so far :)
    11542 karma
    Glad I can help @mcmlaw36 @gparmar92. We're all on this crazy journey together :)