Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

not enough time

esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
in General 382 karma
Has anyone taken the LSAT without finishing the course? How did that go? I don't think I'm going to have time to finish, but I would like to.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Do you say you won't have time to finish because of your presumptive test date or because of your membership expiration?
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Sort of, and not good. I do not advise.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, that doesn't go well at all.
  • The AviatorThe Aviator Member
    69 karma
    One of the best advice I receive is that finishing up 7 sage core courses (including all the drill practices and flash cards) before taking PT.
    11542 karma
    There should just be a huge disclaimer on the PTs saying "don't look at me until you finished the curriculum. I'm too valuable."
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @esteerose said:
    Has anyone taken the LSAT without finishing the course? How did that go? I don't think I'm going to have time to finish, but I would like to.
    I would recommend changing your test date of you wont finish in time, as you need to know how to do everything and practice.

If you are saying you will run out of time on your subscription, do an add on, to get a month or more of time. https://7sage.com/addons/

One of the worst mistakes you can make is testing before you are well prepared (finished curriculum and taken at least 20PTs timed). The next is rushing through the course "just to finish" and not build a strong foundational base and finally taking too many PTs before you are ready.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    There is enough time. There just isn't enough time before September;)
    3197 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    There is enough time. There just isn't enough time before September;)
    You have to remember a TON of Sept LSAT takers dont even start until next week, the "12 Week Mark" ie 3 months away from the LSAT. For some that is all they need... me... I needed a lot more :)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Postpone your test date. If money isn't an issue, cancel and don't register until you are ready.
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    My problem is that I have a child. I might be able to get all of the course work done, but I mistakenly started taking PT's last month when I should have been concentrating on the course.

Also, isn't it super difficult to keep studying after the semester starts again in August? I spend most of my time trying to keep a good GPA.

@stepharizona said:
    You have to remember a TON of Sept LSAT takers dont even start until next week, the "12 Week Mark" ie 3 months away from the LSAT. For some that is all they need... me... I needed a lot more :)
    This is very, very encouraging. I might be able to do this.
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    I postponed October 2015, December 2015 and didn't even register for June 2016 because my confidence was low. I'm ready for September now.

Take the test when you're ready. Don't waste a take just to get it done. Law school isn't going anywhere!
    3197 karma
    @nantesorkestar said:
    Take the test when you're ready. Don't waste a take just to get it done. Law school isn't going anywhere!
    Yep! I wish I had just sasve the money and not registered for so many tests I just wasnt ready to take. But even spending the money is NOT a reason to take. Just consider it an investment to your 100K scholarship when you test when you are ready for the test :)
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    edited July 2016 431 karma
    @stepharizona

Whenever I talk to anyone who is worried about wasting money on postponing LSATs, I just remind them that it's peanuts compared to how much you can get in scholarships from a great LSAT score.
    11542 karma
    it's peanuts compared to how much you can get in scholarships from a great LSAT score.
    @nantesorkestar FACTS. STRAIGHT FACTS.
    3197 karma
    @nantesorkestar yep I am one of the bieggest, who cared if you paid! A take could be worth 100K dont waste them!
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    It all depends on how much time you have to dedicate to preparing each week. I will tell you that I am glad I did not rush into the June LSAT and instead am taking more time to do things well before the September LSAT. There is just a lot to improve on and finishing the Core Curriculum and having time for a lot of PTs has been super valuable. I am also a parent and I think that plays a large role in not trying to cram quickly because you can't just focus on the LSAT only for 3 months - you have other IMPORTANT obligations to care for.
  • s.beckford18s.beckford18 Member
    7 karma
    @"The Aviator" I was looking at all of the problem sets in the curriculum and some have about 17 of them (which has given me great anxiety to say the least). I do plan on doing most of them of course in order to grasp the concepts but I'm not sure I'll have time to do them all and get through the PTs. I'm sure you'll say do as many until I feel comfortable but any small advice on a decent number would be great. Thank you.
    382 karma
    OK. I have about 115 hours total left until the curriculum is complete and begin the PT's. I'll see how I do. Yes, postponing is not the worst. I have postponed attending college until now....

@desire2learn - it is so encouraging to see other parents taking this course. Undergrad work is much different, I can "do" flashcards and study while sort-of parenting. But this needs 100% of my concentration!
    11542 karma
    The LSAT is practically your youngest child who needs your upmost attention Haha
    382 karma
    @ said:
    left
    This is actually pretty accurate: all of my friends have new babies and I am birthing an LSAT score instead
  • The AviatorThe Aviator Member
    69 karma
    @s.beckford18
    I did several PTs (36 to 41) before I finished core curriculum, because I was so tempted. And doing that only made me realize how unprepared I was. So I guess doing some PTs (only early ones, don't waste recent ones though) early on can help you to see where you are in term of progress, calm yourself down and dive back into core curriculum and drills (very very important). By the way, sometimes when I feel I'm stuck at a particular type of questions (parallel flaw etc) and don't think I can improve further at the moment, I may do one or two problem sets, skip the rest, move on to next question type, and go back to them later.
  • cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma
    I don't think I am ready for the September LSAT either :/ So if i'm not mistaken, if you want a refund, you only get $50 refunded, but if you want to change the date, it's $90?

Best of luck with your decision, and like others have said, I believe it's best not to rush into the LSAT
  • 342 karma
    I'm feeling it too... Things are clicking for me and I'm about to be done with the curriculum and start taking PTS... I want to be able to upgrade before Sept but I'm trying to not rush and let things click... But I just realized its the 12 week mark next week. Eek! I feel your pain. I am not a parent but I do have a crazy job so time is always precious! We can totally do this :)
  • 342 karma
    I haven't registered for Sept yet I wanted to wait until I take PTs :/
  • s.beckford18s.beckford18 Member
    7 karma
    @"The Aviator" Thanks very much. I do feel like I get stuck (a lot) so I will definitely try that. :)