Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG, do the same over & over?

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
in General 1501 karma
So am I understanding right, it's beneficial to practice the same questions? Or do them once & then never again. Or even if get right keep doing again & again or better to move on? My first & main focus is the getting great at the LG as I did well on other sections. Well enough anyway. I'm just trying to raise 10 points & my weakness is LG. I plan on spending then next several doing nothing but games. Along with working full time & raising 3 kids.. Ha
..ha

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping your question to the top so more people can see it!
  • hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
    edited July 2016 362 karma
    Depends on what you mean by "practicing." You may need practice with the mechanics of developing clear diagrams and so on, but simply repeating questions vs. moving on to new ones is a false choice that won't help you improve. Rather, any benefit is a direct function of understanding what you did and why (both well and not-so-well) in order to improve your approach to new questions.

This works because the vast majority of LG problems (and their approaches) follow a well tread pattern. Don't be fooled by the new names or numbers of elements/slots/groupings. Your goal is to understand these patterns and develop your approaches: diagramming, inferences, hypotheticals.

I would not advise "moving on" to new questions until you master a particular game. Once you have gone through all the major game types, and/or run out of newer games, you can then revisit older games to evaluate your progress.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    My system has been to run a section until I am -0 and under time on each game. If I fall short, I watch the videos and then redo the game. I repeat this until I’ve got it. Then, for the same section, I will repeat the process the next day. Then again in the next week. Then again in the next month. I try to cycle in at least three new sections a week.

After the month repeat, I can retire the section if I’m -0 and under time. If not, it goes back in the pile.
  • dreamvilledreamville Member
    99 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    My system has been to run a section until I am -0 and under time on each game. If I fall short, I watch the videos and then redo the game. I repeat this until I’ve got it.
    This is great advice that I have been sticking to as well. I'm curious to know how you guard against answering questions from 'remembering' the game from the day before as opposed to flexing your inference muscles naturally.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    I second that. I find myself remembering the answers. I read aloud to myself & I just remember myself saying ..so the answer is C.. Etc.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    This may not help, but if you do enough LG or LSAT questions in a week--you'll forget the answers. For the most immediate retake of the game, I just focus more on nailing the assumptions than the answers.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Very good point.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @dreamville , yeah, that definitely can happen. I think the most important thing is getting the setup though. With most games, most of the work is done up front setting up the game board. If you’ve got a great setup, that’s almost as good as knowing all the answers. The point is to gain experience with the setup and learning how to interact with it to answer the questions. If you do remember that, oh I know this one is C, just force yourself to work through it anyway and go through the process. The answer doesn’t matter, what matters is that you know how to find it.