Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Always split the game board?

Zachary CarpenterZachary Carpenter Alum Member
in General 77 karma
Do you always split your game board when there are only two options for a slot? Seems like I see JY doing that most of the time.

Comments

• aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
    76 karma
    Personally, I'll sometimes try right away but it doesn't always have the most fruitful sub-game boards with lots of inferences. Other times, I'll keep it in mind and try to connect the rule with other ones that, in conjunction, allow for new and implicit rules/inferences. I feel like if you try splitting every time you encounter one of those rules, you'll get a feel for when it will yield anything or if it's better to hold onto for the time being. That's just based on my experience, though.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I'll split game boards if it seems very obvious -- for example, P can only go in 1st or 2nd place. Before I start games, I take a 2 second glance at the questions to see the number of "if" questions. If I see that half or more start with "If," I'll move to the questions after making my initial inferences. If I see a lot of "What" questions, I'll double check to make sure there are no additional inferences to make before moving on. I've gotten pretty fast at games using this method and my accuracy is pretty consistent (typically -0/-1).
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @zacharycarpenter1 said:
    Do you always split your game board when there are only two options for a slot? Seems like I see JY doing that most of the time.
    My assumption is always "how will I split the boards" as opposed to "will I split these boards."
  • leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    218 karma
    ^ Completely agree!

When the game boards don't require to be split or there's just too many options, I just go straight to the questions after thinking about the possible inferences.

Don't think about HAVING to split the boards, think about HOW you will be splitting the boards. It may just be the case that splitting the boards may not get you too far, or in ideal scenarios, it may give you all the answers.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Lots of great advice here. I'd highly recommend the Splitting the Boards webinar! Definitely helped me nail down a strategy
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Nope, I typically split when I deem it an appropriate path to take. A few things that I look for:
    1) Given what I know, are there only a few possible worlds? If so, it's often worth splitting the board.
    2) If I do split, will whatever I am using to split yield a decent number of inferences? If not, I won't bother, unless doing so would make the board easier on the eyes (i.e. easier to keep track of the variables)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    1) Given what I know, are there only a few possible worlds? If so, it's often worth splitting the board.
    2) If I do split, will whatever I am using to split yield a decent number of inferences? If not, I won't bother, unless doing so would make the board easier on the eyes (i.e. easier to keep track of the variables)
    Sam nailed it. If you can tell there's only going to be 2-4 worlds, go ahead and do it. If you can tell that a split will yield inferences, got to split. I have never benefited from splitting in any other situation. And if you're burning time and not benefiting from it, you are seriously hurting yourself.

There may be an exception I just haven't come across, but I feel very comfortable using this as a hard rule: Don't split unless you've identified one these two situations.

That said, the ability to identify these is an advanced skill. So in practice, it's totally okay if you split and nothing comes of it! The more you practice, the sharper this skill will become. Once you've mastered it, it is extremely powerful.