Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Invalid argument form bathroom sign?

J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
in General 575 karma
I don't know what this means but just for kicks:

Invalid, right?

Comments

• quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    611 karma
    Well, it's not an argument, so validity doesn't come into play. It's just an imperative sentence, like "open the door".
  • GanbatteGanbatte Alum Member
    40 karma
    to make it two flawed arguments:

if what is to be flushed is toilet paper and what nature provides, then flush.
    Thus, since what is to be flushed is not toilet paper nor what nature provides, I will not flush.

A -> B
    Not A
    _______
    Thus, not B.
    (assumes not A->not B; B->A)

Formally the error is mistaken negation.
    Can be called mistakes necessary for sufficient or sufficient for necessary.
    Overlooks the possibility that there are other sufficient reasons for flushing, so you really don't know if you will flush or not, since logically, you cannot infer from A->B, Not A-> ??.

OR

if what is to be flushed is toilet paper and what nature provides, then flush.
    Thus, since I will flush, it must be because what is to be flushed is is toilet paper and what nature provides,

A->B
    B
    ______
    Thus, A
    (assumes B->A)

Formally the error is mistaken reversal.
    Can be called mistakes sufficient for necessary or necessary for sufficient.
    Overlooks the possibility that there are other sufficient reasons for flushing or other necessary conditions to flush. Again, you can't infer knowing A->B from B -> ??.

Someone check my example and make sure I got the distinction between mistakes necessary for sufficient or sufficient for necessary right?

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"J. Tharp" said:
    I don't know what this means but just for kicks:
    Yes!
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    @quinnxzhang I meant that the illustration represented an invalid argument form ;)
    and @Gumbatte Yes! I love the effort you put into this!