Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Start drilling LR?

OK I should finish the LR curriculum tonight. I am really feeling much better about my grasp of the concepts, however I am still falling for traps. So my question is, do you feel it would be beneficial for me to use old practice tests and drill each LR section. Here is what I am thinking. I work 40-60 hours a week. I have a very demanding job and I am right at the start of busy season, so my work week will start being closer to the 60 hours a week, so I am trying to cram as much studying as I can into my day. I do typically take a hour for lunch. So I was thinking... that I could take a timed LR section at lunch, then blind review it in the evenings when I get off work 1-2 times a week. Then score, obviously. Do you think this practice would work??? I was thinking about using the earlier tests... as I do have copies of those. Or should I just wait until I am 100% done with the curriculum. I do not plan on using tests 36+ as they are part of the curriculum, but I thought this might work as far as practice during the day, as we are what 10 weeks out, I know every little studying I can do during the day will be beneficial.

I really don't have an option of taking the December test. September is kinda my do or die test... simply because starting in Aug/Sept my work schedule gets frantic. I am actually taking the week off before the test to get zen and calm... because my job is about to get that insane, but that is a whole other topic for another day.

what do you guys think? I am trying to figure out how to get 30-45 minutes of studying in during my lunch break, because I just eat salad and take a walk, and normally that takes 20 mins of the 60 minutes I get.

Any tips or tricks you used would be awesome! thanks guys!

Comments

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    So I was thinking... that I could take a timed LR section at lunch, then blind review it in the evenings when I get off work 1-2 times a week.
    I like this idea! This is very similar to what I have had students of mine do in the past.
  • 342 karma
    I just think I could certainly use the practice as I still fall for traps. I haven't taken another LSAT since my diagnostic yet... and I am itching to see improvement... BUT I am holding strong until I am 100% done with this course although the ADHD/OCD part of me wants to take all these tests now... but I know they are precious. I just know I have a lot of the earlier practice tests... that I can use to practice LR during lunch... I just want to make sure I practicing smart since sadly I am on a time crunch.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Hey @TheCubicleEscapee sounds like a great plan with the limited time you have for studying. Can you let us know more about your goals? Shooting for Sept when you're just now finishing the CC is very ambitious, since you'll really hone your skills in the PT-BR phase of your prep. But it all depends on where you started and where you want to land with your scores! Feel free to PM about this, it could be advantageous for you to work with someone to create a specific study schedule to maximize the time you have doing the most strategic things.
  • 342 karma
    Yes I know it is ambitious. Very ambitious. To be honest, I technically have not registered for Sept LSAT and if I do register it will likely be on the deadline date I want to have a few PTs under my belt before I register. I want to make sure I am within my target range prior to registering. I need in mid 160s to get into the local Dallas part time law programs I can choose between three and they all three have the same range of scores needed in regards to my GPA. I feel I can certainly get there, and I am enjoying the curriculum. JY is really the perfect teacher for me, as I understand things so much better after watching his videos and he explains things in a way that I understand, and grasp quickly. I am currently in my job's slow season which is May-early sept. The rest of the year is just way to hectic and stressful for me, I typically work 60 hour work weeks except now, I have a little freedom. Which is why the Sept test is my "mental" deadline... furthermore I really can't do my job anymore because I truly hate it and life is too short and I have been wanting to take the law school route for years... and I shouldn't say I hate my job it is other aspects. Hard to explain but I am sure many get me. :) I have always wanted to go to law school just never took the leap... until now. So therefore I am 10 years removed from college. I have two degrees one in CJ and one in political science and I do technically work in the legal field but in a very broad way. I am an adjuster that handles all of the attorney files. So I do get a lot of legal things. If that makes sense.

So yes, there you have my quick life story... well the boring part of my life anyway :) Luckily I do have evenings free right now and no distractions as far as studying goes. So that is why I am making sure I use every free moment I have, because I really want to be prepped for the Sept test and at the very latest December and I want to nail the mid 160s on the first test. (which I am sure is like everyone else here, they want to nail their ideal score the first time too).

Hope I didn't ramble too much :) This was a good break typing this out from the studying.
    1128 karma
    So (if you don't mind me asking), what was your diagnostic? Glad to hear things are progressing well with your studies!
  • 342 karma
    so. About my diagnostic. it was bad. however I know where I went wrong and actually I did SO much wrong it was not even funny... I scored a 141 this time, however 5 years ago I scored a 155 on my diagnostic and I took it a bit more seriously, but it was five years ago. I think had I taken it seriously I would have score realistically between those numbers.

I was just talking to my mother about this when I took my diagnostic it was after a 10 hour work day and the last two sections I got frustrated and just started filling in answers. literally. I am shocked I scored a 141. I even thought to myself I have no business trying to go to law school if I can't sit still and focus. Then I got discouraged and I am pretty sure I just choose C and then went and had some pizza. Not my proudest moment, I probably should have taken the diagnostic on a Saturday instead of after an incredibly frustrating day at work.

I think that is why I am so anxious to take another test because I want to take it seriously and see where I am really. The morning after my diagnostic I woke up mad at myself because I wasted a PT test. :)

Sorry I am getting lengthy, but I have made some better changes to not get frustrated with this process because I know I can do it, I just have to commit.
    1128 karma
    Hmm okay, that experience with the diagnostic makes it pretty hard to judge how much of a gap you have to close. It seems like you don't have reliable data, but even assuming you're starting from a baseline in the low 150s, I would really recommend that you use that first PT after you finish the CC to help you determine what a realistic timeline is for you to hit your goal score with such a demanding job. I definitely want to encourage you here, but also there are true limitations that come with setting a short timeline for yourself - something to keep in mind if you're serious about hitting that goal score.
  • 342 karma
    These are things I need to hear, and that is why I love this community and why I have not registered just yet for the Sept LSAT. I am going to see where I am in early August and if I am not near my target score which is 162+ I know I do not need to register for the Sept LSAT. I am certainly trying to hit that goal of Sept, but if I have to take in December then I have to take in December. I am thinking based on my current CC pace I will be done soon. Then I am taking my first PT in correct conditions. I think I just went into the diagnostic with the wrong mindset. I have debated taking another to get a better grasp of where I am... but I do not want to waste any more PTs so I am finishing the CC and drilling older tests. Then I will start taking more tests. I feel pretty good about this plan and I am hoping in 2 weeks I have a better grasp of what is going on, but I am not going to lie I am feeling the time crunch which I know is never a good sign. :)

I really do appreciate anything anyone has to say & I do find the fact you are helping me encouraging :) Your score was rockstar :) so yes I really appreciate you giving advice.
  • 342 karma
    I'm starting my lunch drilling practice tomorrow with the Feb 1993 LR section. I will be able to add in reading comp next week as I should be finished with that curriculum this weekend then I start the dreaded games :) I bought the 10 actual official LSAT prep tests specifically for lunch time drilling. I figure it should be enough for a while to drill at lunch
    1128 karma
    Fantastic!! Good to hear you're shooting for Sept, but maintaining some flexibility in case you aren't where you need to be. You can get there, it's just a question of how quickly.
    On games - if you haven't started the bundle (is this what you meant by needing to start the games?), you've got a pretty big task ahead. You won't be able to PT super soon if you still have that work to do.
    One way you could get a sense for your progress would be to take a test and do the 2 LRs, 1 RC, and 1 game section split up over the course of the next week in the mornings or at lunches. Then you can score and see how you're doing. I think it's okay to sacrifice one PT for this in order to help you make timeline decisions.
  • 342 karma
    Great advice! I might do that next week