Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long did it take you to perfect your LG score?

GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
edited May 2014 in Logic Games 440 karma
For four months now, I have been drilling logic games heavily, printing out ten copies, redoing them over and over again.....But although I did improve (went from a minus 16 to a minus 10), I stopped improving after the first month of drilling logic games. I still average a minus 10....so frustrating.

One thing I've been wondering is, do you have to be good at math (or at least have a knack for math) to ace this game? I've sucked at math for the longest time, and when practicing the LSAT logic games I can't help but think back to when I was in the 9th grade and I was looking at a mathematical word problem going blank while everyone else was gettin' it....

So now I've changed my strategy. Not only do I print out 10 copies, redoing them ten times each, but I also spend some time analyzing them, taking notes on how the rules interact with each other and what inferences I should have made from them, playing around with the game board by rearranging the rules etc...

So how long did it take you guys to finally perfect the logic games section? Please tell me I have hope...

Comments

• SiddharthSiddharth Alum Member
    edited May 2014 35 karma
    Hi. I was in the same situation.If you have mastered individual games and spotted the trends in mistake, I would suggest doing the whole LG sections timed rather than doing individual games. Just start solving the LG sections from Preptest 1 to 35. This exercise can greatly increase your confidence. It should only take couple of days to complete all the LG sections. You can also insert LR / RC sections(from the prep tests you have already completed)in between the LG sections.
  • David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    571 karma
    About 4 months until i was at -1/-0 consistently. Some preptests have harder logic games sections than others, so don't be discouraged if you have a -3 or -4 after so much time while you had some earlier tests that were -0 or -1. The tests are designed to be curved on a holistic basis so chances are you likely made up the points on what was an easier RC or LR section elsewhere in the test.

Definitely a good idea to do the logic games from 1-35 if you haven't already. Some of the earlier ones may not be of the type you'll see on test day, but there are many that are extremely pertinent to the modern LSAT, even the games in preptest 1.
  • blackhawksfanblackhawksfan Alum Member
    55 karma
    You can try to make a games bundle for yourself. For example, you can pick out some basic linear/sequencing games, use a paper clip to hold them together. Then the grouping in/out ones. Then double layering sequencing. You get the idea, SIMILAR game types, bundle them together. Then do them so you can start to see the patterns for each game type because the inferences and the rules are so often recycled! It helps you build confidence, too. I think that this should help you slightly better than reviewing game sections after game sections.

I don't think you need to be good at math. I can't think of any game where I need to have knowledge of math (like, algebra.)

Lastly, this works for me and a lot of other test takers I'm sure. Give it a try: recycle your work. So do the questions that say 'IF this goes in THIS SLOT, what could be true?' first. Then later, if there's a question that asks you for 'What must be false' you can look BACK at your work in the other question and quickly eliminate answer choices. Also, spend time doing the set-up diagram. I know it's hard because you want to move onto the questions but it pays off well later.
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    Thank you all so much for your responses. They have been encouraging and helpful. I hope you guys get as much good feedback as you guys have given me.
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    Hello you guys. After two weeks of starting this course (first attacking the logic games section of the course, redoing a lot of the practice logic game sections offered in the logic games section courses ten times, analyzing them more closely, and categorizing them more better), and following your guys' suggestions by digging out all the preptests I have done and separating them, organizing them, and seeing the connections between them......

I took a preptest today and I went from a minus 10 to a minus 5 in the logic games section!!! I am so happy!!! Granted, there were only 22 questions, and maybe this section was comparatively easier (preptest 44 logic games, hard or easy, overall?), but it is still an improvement and I actually finished all the games in time!

Thank you so much you guys!!! I can't wait until the day when I can brag that I went from a minus 5 to a minus 0....until then, 10 more re-dos, and post-analysis of redo's, coming up!!
  • blackhawksfanblackhawksfan Alum Member
    55 karma
    That's awesome! I don't recall PT 44 LG on the top of my head, but going from -10 to -5 is good. Keep doing em! It's the only way to get better. Cheers
  • tanyakitaitanyakitai Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Hi!
    I am in the same boat as you... The way I have improved (going from -15 to -10) in about 2 weeks, is that when I analyze my answers I make sure I can explain why my answer was wrong and the right answer is the right answer.
    Make sure you are understanding the reasons for why your answer was wrong well enough to explain to someone else (preferably some one that is not studying for the LSAT).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    310 karma
    I've received multiple -0s on a few LG sections I have recently taken. I think to get -0/-1 consistently, at least for me, you have to really understand the games and question types pretty well.

As for how long it has taken me, its been a long time. I had to sit out a cycle and plan to reapply this cycle. I would say just understanding the question types and learning to read the rules properly can help cut down questions missed. I remember not too long ago I use to get tripped up on those " could be a complete and accurate" and also the " Must be True" question types. The could be complete questions I missed due to inexperience in how to handle them. The must be true question types that I would miss would be due to not writing out all possible scenarios.

If there are any games you are stuck on, always watch the 7sage youtube explanations. It helped me out immensely.

Feel free to pm me if you have any additional questions.
  • joeytlowjoeytlow Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Hi my friend is taking this test and i'm researching ways to help them progress. They're significantly struggling with the analytical reasoning. She is currently using the "Lsat logic games bible", but I am curious what you guys are referring to when you say "prep-test 1-35" or "logic games "1-35" is that exclusive to this website?

Also, how does the scoring system work?

Thanks for the help,
    joey
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    The PrepTest numbering system is not exclusive to this website -- it's the system used by LSAC, so you'll see it in use pretty much everywhere. If your friend is struggling with logic games, she should really check out the LG explanations on this site. They're free, and they're really superb: http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/