Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying tips

Zachary CarpenterZachary Carpenter Alum Member
in General 77 karma
Like I imagine most of us, I never had to study in high school/undergrad. The LSAT is the first time I've had to seriously study. I find that I'm able to do about two, maybe three, hours a day before I just can't focus anymore. What tips can you offer to help me study more?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    If you truly have never studied before, then you may want to take it slow at first. Everyone has different study routines and habits but what I'm finding to be a common trait among top scorers is simply waking up early! . Give yourself a fresh start, eat a fulfilling healthy breakfast, get your blood flowing by stretching/running, and then begin your prep. You'll find out more things about your habits and taste of studying along the way, but for me, I like to study at a local coffee spot (Starbucks smh lol) but for intense study days, I prefer my school's library. That's also something common people like to do. I simply cannot study at home because I won't be as strict on myself and there's distractions plus I'm most likely in my pj's lol. You'll figure it out but for the most part this is the base I have to offer for you. the LSAT is no joke and it will consume most of your time, so just mentally prepare yourself :)
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    When do you sleep? Get up early is hard for me @montaha.rizeq
    11542 karma
    @dennisgerrard said:
    When do you sleep
    Some people need 7-8 hours of sleep whereas I do better when I'm on 5-6 hours of sleep. I'm Muslim so I actually wake up everyday around 5:30AM to perform my morning prayers, and if I feel up to it I stay awake and begin my day or what usually happens is I go back to sleep and wake up around 7-8AM. Point is, I'm accustomed to waking up early, but for those who are not it's imperative to get a good night's rest if you want to begin your day early. Either way, I think over-sleeping does more harm than good. I also find that the alarm you use to wake up can help or make matters worse. Find an alarm that has a gradual tone to it, and gets louder after a minute or so. Waking up gently does wonders!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I think the first thing is to know yourself. I do great by breaking up my day. I spread sections out or full tests out during a day. So I might do a test in the AM and then BR are night or the next day. I might do a section in the am , review and then take a long break.

Try different methods and find what works well for you. For me 2 hours is about where I drift, but I also need to get myself to be able to handle full 5 section tests, so I make sure to do that on Saturdays.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    thanks for you info. I should try up earlier. @montaha.rizeq
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I’d also add that three hours is a pretty solid block of time for a single go. Don’t feel like you’ve got to put in an 8 hour straight work day. Work a few hours then quit. The difficult thing is starting back again. I had this same issue when I first started. I’d break from my morning studies for lunch and then just never be able to start back. So I began lowering my expectations for afternoon study session. Another 3 - 4 hours was just overwhelming. So, I started by saying just 30 minutes. At the end of 30 minutes I was allowed to quit without feeling guilty about it. Once I got going though, it was easy enough to stick with it (more often than not, lol).

The main thing that has kept me motivated for this test though is that I really appreciate the skills it tests. I’ve taken the ACT, SAT, and GRE and studying for them was absolutely miserable for me. These tests bore the shit out of me and I gained absolutely nothing from preparing for them. The LSAT is very different. I’m actually interested in learning the LSAT. Instead of simply regurgitating information; the LSAT tests our ability to think logically, to apply an intellectual skill. That’s something I can apply myself to. Studying for the LSAT actually sharpens my intellect, and I’ve really developed a respect for this test over the last year. Point being, learn to appreciate this test and studying will actually become enjoyable.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I was initially doing 3-4 hours a day, but when I committed myself to studying full time a few weeks ago I started dedicating 8-10 hours a day. That said, I find since I made this shift I'm hungry literally all the time, so I break up my day into 2 hour study shifts. I find myself to be really productive in that time rather than studying for 3-4 hours straight, because then your body gets lethargic and your brain gets tired.

I'm towards the end of my prep so what I'm doing is finishing up the curriculum, drilling RC daily, and trying to get LG in as well. My day typically looks like this:

1) Drill RC passages
    break
    2) Review RC Passages
    Lunch
    3) Do 7Sage lesson
    break
    4) Master that lesson
    5) Drill the question type
    6) Review that question type (of questions drilled)
    Dinner
    7) LG or RC

I have been neglecting LG lately so I'm going to try and focus on integrating that more in my prep.

• AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    Finding a routine that works for you is the best bet. Don't forget to mix in breaks... If you're sitting for that entire 3 hours, of course by the end you'll feel like mush!

Developing the routine will take time. Once you've built your good study habits, they will feel natural, almost effortless; with time, and enough repetition, so will writing the LSAT!

Are you studying after work? I was only able to really study for 1-3 hours a night after a long day, even on weekends 3-4 hours was a lot for me.

Giving yourself more time may come down to adding another 3-6 months before writing the LSAT, it's not going anywhere!
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    Thx to @"Nicole Hopkins" I found the Forest app. literally just $1. I forget the technical term for this method, but its supposed to keep you extremely efficient.

Basically you set a timer on there (20, 25, 30 mins whatever you want) In that time, its planting a virtual tree for you. If you mess with your phone in that time, it'll die. Sad right? And then once the timer is done, set a 3-5 min break on the app, go read some news or something and come back after that, repeat.

The neat thing is, once you gather enough points, they actually plant a real tree!!!

So if you're struggling with phone distractions like i used to, try this. Even if you're not, try it anyway since the 25 mins that you are focused, you're literally doing only lsat. you can squeeze so much out of a 5 hour study day than doing 8-9 hours with lots of breaks, which I'm not saying is wrong. But since you're starting off, try this!
    11542 karma
    @amipp170 said:
    The neat thing is, once you gather enough points, they actually plant a real tree!!!

sweet!!!
  • 342 karma
    This is great advice, I have been contemplating getting up earlier in the morning on weekends, since the test for me will be at 9 am... ... and I tend to have a hour of brain fog, so I figured it was time to start training myself now. I stay up until midnight or so though... so I might need to focus. Great advice everyone!