Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about LORS

kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
in General 208 karma
Hello,
I am getting ready to send out a few emails to ask for LORS. I know a little unprofessional, but its summer and most of my professors are out of town. Here is my question, how do I explain to them the process? Can someone give me an example of what the email should consist of?

Comments

• Zachary CarpenterZachary Carpenter Alum Member
    edited July 2016 77 karma
    Here's what I wrote to a professor:
    Hi Professor [Name],

First, I'd like to just reiterate my thanks for getting the grade situation worked out so quickly, it was a relief.

I'm writing to see if you'd be willing and comfortable writing a positive recommendation on my behalf for my law school applications. While you're certainly welcome to write whatever you wish, I would really welcome input on my writing abilities (I scored a 50 and 49, on both papers in your Gender Roles Class, respectively), argument analysis, as well as my work ethic, as these are topics that will not have been addressed in my personal statement, diversity statement, or resume.

Recommendations in the law school process are extremely important, and are utilized more than they are in other grad school application processes, so if you do not have the time or the desire to write a positive recommendation letter, I completely understand, and there certainly won't be hard feelings.

I'm in the process of registering for the Credential Assembly Service with the Law School Admissions Counsel, so it will be at least a week or so before I can even accept a recommendation, and even after that, you'd have a few weeks to write one, should you choose to do so. I can let you know of more specific deadlines, if you'd like.

Again, while I would appreciate your writing a positive recommendation immensely, I certainly understand if you do not have the time or desire to do so.

Thank you again,
  • LSAT StudentLSAT Student Alum Member
    156 karma
    Not to hijack your thread but is it frowned upon to ask for LOR's from professors that don't know you personally... I attend a big public school (UF) and all my classes have been 500+ students. I will be in some smaller classes this fall but I will need LOR's pretty early to go with my September LSAT score so I am not sure what I should really do... Wait and ask professors who might know me a little better or ask some of my other professors who do not know me but I have received A's in their classes.
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    208 karma
    Hey @LSATstudent I have heard that as well. Personally, in a similar boat. Our classes aren't quite as big, but they are big. I did my best to just make sure my professors knew my name at the least. I tried to have a few small convos, and from there I am going to just ask them for LORS. Its tough, but many professors know this and will write you a LOR based on your work in their class.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    Not necessarily @"LSAT Student" in a perfect world, we would all be close to our professors and they'd know us from a mile away. The fact of the matter is that doesn't happen for a good majority of us. Does this mean we're doomed from getting a solid LOR? Absolutely not. All you have to do is reach out to a professor that you did exceptionally well in their class, whether it's via email or phone call or in person, explain your wanting to attend law school and how a LOR from this person is crucial and attach a resume to allow the professor to get a better feel of who you are and usually this results in a solid LOR. I don't think the adcomms care if you know each other personally, just that the letter demonstrates your abilities in an academic setting and what you've accomplished as a student in their class and elsewhere, which can be found in the resume and during your reconnection.
    11542 karma
    @"LSAT Student" since it seems you have time to reach out to professors this year that you can get to know, you can always ask them but don't rule out the chance to ask former professors especially if you did well in and are an upper level class. You never know who will respond in your favor.
    Solid email @zacharycarpenter1!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @Lsat Student it's not just that it's frowned upon, but it's counterintuitive. A solid LOR will often be one where the professor is able to gloat about you. How can a professor who doesn't know you very well highlight your achievements?

To the OP: Here is what I did:
    1) Thank them for taking the time to read your email.
    2) Let them know why you're asking for a LOR (Going to law school)
    3) Explain what law schools want to read about (academic success, etc.)
    4) Explain the process (something like, "Should you agree to write my LOR, I will submit a request with the LSAC...etc. - this is an unprofessional version of what I wrote).
    5) Follow up email thanking them - once they have submitted your LOR of course.
  • LSAT StudentLSAT Student Alum Member
    156 karma
    @MrSamIam Your response is directly contrary to the posts above you. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to talk about someones achievements based on a resume stating a 4.0 GPA in Finance as well as involvement on campus and volunteering. Not to mention receiving a high A in their upper level class. My classes are huge and I never needed to go talk to a professor to receive help or anything like that. @montaha.rizeq seems to think a great LOR can be drafted by a professor who doesn't know you personally. Obviously, it would be better if I was great friends with the professor writing me a LOR but that is not easy at the University of Florida where class sizes are large.
    @"LSAT Student" please don't misquote me. Let me reiterate- if a professor knows you and is willing to write a LOR then that's awesome. I'm simply implying that this isn't the case for many people and that doesn't close the opportunity of submitting a solid LOR. I've connected with a professor two years later of being a student of hers and all it took was a few emails, meeting up during her office hours with my resume and a few old essays I've done in her class, and the letter she wrote for me was truly genuine and rich with information on my academic achievement in her class. I truly don't believe the only way to get a good LOR is if the professor knew you during their course. Reconnect with them and it will be well worth it as I've demonstrated.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2016 2086 karma
    LSAT Student (sorry, the system isn't letting me tag your name), do what works best for you. In your case, I think it's perfectly fine to obtain LORs from professors who you have not developed a close bond with. I'm sure law schools understand that many universities are large, and not every student is going to be able to "get close" with their professor.
    I was simply stating what I was told by a family member who attended a T14 school, and a few attorneys.
    In any case, a good LOR from a professor whose class you excelled in is far better than no LOR at all.