Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting Sick

SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
in General 11542 karma
How do you guys cope with this during prep and especially when you have a schedule and deadlines you highly prefer to abide by? :(

Comments

• draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    I just got over the worst summer cold I've ever had. People told me that the cause was LSAT stress but it could've been the combination of many, many things. I would say don't add excessive pressure on yourself for potentially allowing some flexibility in your study schedule. I also regret not going to the doctors immediately because I assumed it was a common cold. So here is some advice from someone who was on cold medication for way too long (almost 3 weeks!!) for making bad assumptions and adding pressure on myself:

* take as much rest as you need because not doing so could potentially result in a prolonged period of time when you are not at your 100%, which is absolutely necessary in this process
    * get medical attention as soon as you can in case it is that serious
    * once you've acquired enough health to keep moving along the study grind, you can modify the intensity of your studies to ease back into your schedule if you think you need it

For preventive strategies moving forward, I plan on consuming a bunch of vitamin C, staying hydrated, and getting some level of daily exercise to keep my immune system as healthy as it can be. I've also been trying to eat and drink better. I've found that antioxidants were pretty effective in helping me overcome my symptoms so I plan on keeping that up. Health is so important and cannot be taken for granted. I plan on staying proactive with this especially now that I've had to sacrifice a few weeks of solid studying.

Feel better!!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I would choose not to sweat it! Study when you can but if you feel too sick then stop and focus on getting better. No need to add more stress to your life.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @draj0623 thanks so much!! Usually when I get sick I don't like to seek medical attention right away and prefer organic alternatives but I didn't take any chances this time and called up my primary lol. She hooked me up with antibiotic, anti-inflammatory ,and nasal spray which I used today and so far I'm feeling better thank God.

And thank you @Alejandro, it's reassuring to see I didn't screw up. :)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2016 2086 karma
    I take my vitamins, get a little extra sleep, drink plenty of water, and work out more - all of which seem to greatly reduce the duration of my colds.
    I do my best to push through and study as much as I can. If my body gives me the "no-go" I call it a day, watch some TV, and go to bed. Then, try again the next day.
    Bear in mind that stress can hinder your immune system. So, don't stress out and push yourself to study if you can't. Otherwise you'll find yourself feeling worse, and spending even more time in bed than you would have had you chosen to rest in the first place.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Thanks @MrSamIam :)
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    I remember a week near the beginning of the curriculum where I felt absolutely awful. I had to tap out and sleep more after work and my studying took a back seat.

Sometimes giving yourself a break is necessary, have you made room for breaks in your study schedule? It really helped me, though they weren't scheduled, the breaks I did take from studying helped me a lot with my understanding and I didn't get sick again after that!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Sick like a cold? When I was a kid, I remember being really sick, sore throat, my stuffy nose, high temp, all that. But my cousins came over and they wanted to play tag. I would never pass up a game of tag, so I played. Then after the game my sore throat wasent so bad, and I could breath! Additionally I went for a run this year during a horrible cold and the same happened.

This might sound crazy but.... Go for a run.