Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Tutor] I Have an Announcement to Make

BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
edited July 2016 in General 1706 karma
*clears throat*

Since I love y'all, I'm going to start offering tutoring services. As some of you know, I scored a 169 on the June 2016 LSAT, and I'm gearing up to retake in September.

My "specialty" is working with accommodated test takers and/or test takers who aren't traditional learners. I, myself, have learning disabilities and physical disabilities for which I have been granted accommodations by LSAC for my administration. I have a good bit of insight for accommodated test takers as far as the process before and on test day and what to/not to expect.

I have studied for the LSAT for almost 2 years, and I really believe in the 7Sage curriculum, but some things just don't click or work for some of us in the ways they do for others. I understand that, and I will work with you to accommodate your learning style and share with you some things that worked for me on my administration.

I have over 5 years of tutoring experience in other areas of study including working in my university's writing center and teaching English as a second/foreign language.

If you would like to schedule a consultation, pm me here, and we can work something out. I am based in Boston, and I'm available to meet in person, over the phone, or via Skype/Facetime.

Pricing $20/hour; free 30 minute consultation.

<3 you & I believe in you <3

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited July 2016 12637 karma
    Since you're an approved 7Sage tutor, I added you to the list:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/introducing-7sage-tutors
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Awesome job!!! Question I hope is ok to ask, if not then that's cool.

What accommodations did you receive? Also I would love to hear how you worked that into your study routine/PTs.
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    Wanna offer a quick affirmation of her awesomeness! Bruiser really opened up to me about the accommodations process and she was very helpful!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    I'm probably going to do a webinar soon on all the information I have been able to gather on accommodated testing throughout this process and about some VERY COMMON misconceptions @LSATKingsman.

But, I received the following accommodations on the June 2016 test for a learning disability:
    - 53 minutes per section (1.5 time)
    - Distraction reduced test room (only me in the room, but LSAC did warn me before that I could be in the room with other testers with "similar accommodations," it just didn't end up being the case for me.
    - No experimental section

And for a physical disability:
    - Stop the clock breaks (for restroom - that's all the details you want, I promise ;) )
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Yess!! Please do the webinar, you have so much wisdom to pass on! Get it!!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    One of the craziest parts of being granted accommodations would have to be waiting 5 days after the June administration until your actual test date - I hope you cover that part of your journey in your webinar!! Do not know how you kept the nerves in check?? But, then again, you are a beast:)
  • theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma
    53 min ?!? Will ptsd give me reason for acomondation?
    1706 karma
    @gioaragon95 I also have c-PTSD. I included that diagnosis on my application for accommodations, but I am actually not certain if it does. My psychiatrist seemed to think anxiety disorders don't warrant accommodations, but because I also have an ADHD diagnosis, we didn't really pursue it.

Have you ever received formal accommodations on any tests or assignments in college or graduate school? Or on any other timed, standardized tests?

My gut response is "maybe." But you'll need a formal diagnosis and a physician who will write you a letter saying that you need extended time for PTSD. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions you're not comfortable talking about here.
    1287 karma
    honestly, I'm a veteran and I have been diagnosed with PTSD and ADHD, and anxiety due to ptsd, not something I've been comfortable with sharing so I have never pursued accommodations in any testing in college, however after reading your post I called my psychiatrist and she agreed to write a letter stating those issues and the fact that I currently take medication for those, so I was hoping that maybe it would help. my issue is distraction, noises and movements take me off my game, I been trying to study at a starbucks to get used to distractions but its an issue. I'll keep studying as if no accommodation will be given and try and apply for it, if they give it to me good, if not, then I will give my best witht the given time.
    1287 karma
    ps. you tagged the wrong person :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    much love man! Hope everything works out for you :).
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    @BruiserWoods Thank you for posting this! I don't know if I will be accepted, but I am thinking of applying for the accommodations as well. The only problem is that I have not taken any of the tests listed, other than SAT circa 1995. I suppose I will call LSAC to start. Also, just to make sure, they don't flag your score for taking extra time, right?
    1706 karma
    No they no longer flag your score @esteerose. There was a complete overhaul in what qualifies for accommodation in January of this year. So now, just a doctor's note confirming your accommodation can suffice. If you also fill out the other forms and cooperate with the LSAC if they ask for additional documentation.
  • 342 karma
    wait... I saw the ADHD and this caught my eye... Can that count? I do have a diagnosis & was actually just telling my co-workers I might have to go back on medication for the test, I am currently not medicating. Thank you for everything you do!
    1706 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee yes maam sure does
    12637 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    I saw the ADHD and this caught my eye... Can that count?
    ADHD's considered a learning disability since you get pretty scatterbrained (speaking from experience as a dude who has ADHD) so yes, it counts! Just make sure you've got up to date documentation from your Doctor.
  • 342 karma
    whoa. I feel like I just found the fountain of youth or something. When I took the test today with distractions in back ground... I lost focus often. I didn't realize that. Thanks guys.
    1706 karma
    Lol I guess I should do this webinar sooner than later.
    12637 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    Hope I get to be there!
  • 342 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    Yes, yes you do.
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    How many weeks did it take to approve accommodations? @BruiserWoods I can't get an appointment with my dr until August 20 (registered for Sept 24 lsat)
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    I would be curious to know if physical or other documented disability places a candidate for law school in a separate admissions category, much like the URM for racial and ethnic diversity?