Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG Motivation

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma
I am able to psyche myself up for RC passages and LR stimuli and become generally interested in them. But, I'm having trouble actually having fun doing logic games. I have been drilling LG sections as well as foolproofing my problematic games but I tend to find the process really dull even if I am making progress. Has anyone gotten to the point where they enjoy games? Could you explain how you frame games in your mind to make them more fun?

Comments

• LSAT StudentLSAT Student Alum Member
    156 karma
    I just see LG's as the part of the test that is "easiest" to do well on. LG's are very much learn-able. I started at -18 and am averaging -6 right now. I know that if I can master LG's I have 10-12 questions to work with on the other 3 sections to score where I would like. To me, this is enough motivation!
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    edited July 2016 1024 karma
    For me it rotates. Right now I fucking hate LR. I mean they require my brain to restart every minute if I want to finish with 10 minutes left, pain in my ass.

RC and Games though! I only have to change gears 4 times!

Whatever you are feeling I say go for it chances are not long from now you will love games and hate something else.

Lastly as @"J.Y. Ping" says "you'd better manufacture some interest"
  • YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
    137 karma
    I'm having the opposite problem - I can't generate enough interest in RC passages. I like to think of the games section as a competition with my previous scores and times. Because they are so learnable, once you get to the point of (near) perfection on every game it's hard to accept getting any questions wrong.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    The nice thing about games is, once you've developed a strong understanding of how they work, you can pretty much go into cruise control and do well. That said, I certainly wouldn't "BS" my way through a game section.
    I like to think of the games like I would a puzzle. Each additional inference is like a new piece - not one of those darn corner pieces that doesn't seem to fit anywhere, but a piece that you can easily place somewhere because you know where it goes.
    Honestly, with LG, once you get good at it, they just seem to become more enjoyable. So, keep foolproofing.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    The mundane drilling of LG can take a toll on enthusiasm:( Keep at it!

Keep rotating LG drills into your schedule. My LG can make or break me with -0 to -5 depending on my ability to adapt to a New game on a new PT.

Greatest thing, I was re-doing LG games that have given me problems that I haven't seen in a while. Instead of remembering the game, I actually pushed through and connected the inferences. It was a turning point in my understanding about LG that gave me a sense of satisfaction and excitement. Being able to see the inferences up front, recognize a similar game set-up, or know that you are going have to dig deep to understand a peculiar game was exciting! Past exposure and experiences can give you a boost in confidence to conquer any LG on test day.

Funny how it isn't any different than when you learn how to immediately see the gap/assumption in LR or recognizing the argument structure in RC. The point of excitement or exhilaration is the same for LG and that comes with exposure, drilling and patience.

Obviously some of us could not care less about which "birds are in a forest for the birdwatchers." (heehee) However, it can become where you enjoy games - for me the most important aspect was repeated exposure to the earlier games that is leading to my confidence.

On the flip side, if you have any advice on how to be excited about another RC historiographer or literature topic that has not yet been recognized, I would gratefully appreciate your input:)
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    What has been said about games being the easiest to make massive gains with is true. Also, I found them challenging enough that my desire to conquer anything the LSAT could throw at me was huge motivation.

I looked at it like this, whatever happens on LR and RC, if my LG is solid, I have a good chance of scoring where I want to!
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    What has been said about games being the easiest to make massive gains with is true. Also, I found them challenging enough that my desire to conquer anything the LSAT could throw at me was huge motivation.

I looked at it like this, whatever happens on LR and RC, if my LG is solid, I have a good chance of scoring where I want to!
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Hey guys thank you all for your input!!! Hopefully, I will get to the point of enjoying the processs more as things start clicking for me while I drill more games. @twssmith, I'm usually intellectually curious so passages about esoteric subjects are interesting to me. Even though RC passages don't directly adress the reader, I frame them as a conversation between me and the author. This conversation takes place mentally, where I read actively,and constantly try to figure out and respond to the passages' claims.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I think of games just like a Sudoku or Crossword puzzle or something. A lot of mornings I’ll even casually do a game or two while I drink my coffee. This isn’t necessarily great practice, but removing it from the testing mentality definitely helps generate interest. I’ve definitely come to enjoy them. Really, many of the games we play for fun are logic games. Sudoku, for example: If you isolate a single block; you end up with a 3X3 game board, 9 game pieces, and a bunch of rules about where each piece can and cannot go. If that’s not a logic game, I don’t know what is. I like Sudoku which is a subset of logic games. So it really wasn’t a big jump for me to learn to enjoy LG.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LG!

There's probably a couple of reasons why:
    1) It was my fastest improving section and my most consistent. I haven't missed more than 2/3 after I went through one round of curriculum so it's the thing that boosts my confidence the most. (LOVE)
    2) Like @"Cant Get Right" mentioned, I think of LG like a riddle. For me, the process is super rewarding because the one or two deductions I make are game-changers - they literally open up the game. I love all things riddle and puzzle related so LG aligns with my interests.
    3) However, It is okay to not love them too. How you feel about LG is how I feel about LR. For LR, I get myself psyched to treat every question as a learning opportunity where I can extract a nugget of wisdom from each question. The more I get wrong, the more nuggets of wisdom there are (I tell myself that this is a good thing even though I fume when I miss a ton). I also feel that LG is seriously the one section where it's beneficial to do a ton of games over and over again and have it measurably improve your score. It allows you to see deductions faster, make easier/swifter comparisons between games easier, and become more efficient.