Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subvocalization and RC

JerseyRhk3JerseyRhk3 Alum Member
in General 114 karma
A question for those who do well on RC. Do the top scorers avoid subvocalization? I've been tinkering with methods that work best for me on the RC section, and I'm curious if top scorers say the words in their head when reading through RC passages.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2016 27821 karma
    Honestly, I’ve never been able to read anything without “saying” the words in my head. I’m actually kind of in awe that anyone can do that at all! I’m in about the -2 range on RC, but I’d be surprised if there was a correlation there. Ever since I read Monster Blood 2 in third grade (I know, I know, what kind of a madman reads MB2 before MB1? What can I say, I was a wild child.), I’ve read pretty constantly for my entire life. Reading is a skill and I think the main predictor of RC performance is how practiced that skill is.
  • JerseyRhk3JerseyRhk3 Alum Member
    114 karma
    Thanks for the input @"Cant Get Right" .. as always, your comments are very helpful. Much appreciated.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Rhkurtz3 said:
    Do the top scorers avoid subvocalization?
    Not at all.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14008 karma
    Hey did you read something about speed reading? I ask because I've seen the term "subvocalization" used in speed reading materials as a pejorative because it makes you read slower. I think that's largely true. But it also makes makes you read way more carefully and allows you to process the information a lot better. At some fundamental level, speed v. comprehension is a trade off you cannot avoid. I take comprehension.

I subvocalize nearly everything I read.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I typically score 0/-2 in RC as well and I definitely read the words "out loud" in my head. I also summarize the content of each paragraph to myself before I move on. My lips probably move when I read (I hope I don't actually whisper, just for the sake of the other test takers).
    It takes anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 minutes to finish reading the passage, depending on how dense I find it. I can't imagine saving enough time by skimming to be worth the drop in comprehension, but maybe I'm just not familiar enough with speed-reading. For a beginner/intermediate speedreader, I assume the comprehension trade-off would be quite steep.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    I mouth the words, but I very rarely actually speak. Only when I'm REALLY having a hard time parsing out a sentence, then I'll possibly whisper.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I actually went down the rabbit hole the last few days reading about all of this and perhaps my favorite theory is "Reading Speed = Talking Speed for Most People"

Woohoo all of those people that complain I talk too fast... Watch me read

Actually this helped me a realize that I might actually fail to subvocalize (more than I think) which I think I need to make sure I do more of.
  • FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    edited September 2017 561 karma

It is refreshing to know that you subvocalize nearly everything, J.Y.

While keeping subvocalization to a minimum would be an "ideal" for RC passages, it comes with a major caveat -- that you understand what the hell you're reading! But I do think there is room for it, especially if you're rereading parts of a passage to reaffirm your understanding before moving onto AC's.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I just tried to read all these comments while subvocally humming to avoid saying the words. I have no idea what any of it says, lol.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 891 karma

If you want to engage, concentrate on your underlining/circling techniques. I've found they keep me alert and engaged. It also helps me understand the text more.

I still subvocalize when I don't understand the text fully actually. I just kind of revert to the natural habit. I heard (from speed reading techniques) that reading the structure (first and last sentences per paragraph, etc.) helps.