PT74.S1.Q17 - how the pigment known as han purple was synthesized

lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
edited July 2016 in Logical Reasoning 379 karma
Can someone please help me understand why this is A. How does this strengthen the argument that Han purple was discovered by accident?
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-74-section-1-question-17/

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    The Han purple question!! The best way to think about answer choice A is through its negation. If the analysis showed that they were not produced in a small radius, but instead were produced in completely opposite ends of China, then the likelihood that Han Purple was discovered when making glass is severely in doubt and essentially disproven. So, A removes this possibility-- it strengthens the relationship by eliminating a huge weakness.

Hope this helps!
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    This does help a lot. Thanks a ton.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    It's a very weak strengthen, but it's the only one that opens that door...
    edited September 2015 379 karma
    But see @Pacifico I thought it was d because I thought "since they're easily obtainable, that increases the chances of people using it and making an accident happen". Ugh I hate questions like these where you can convince yourself of any answer to be true lol
  • LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    62 karma
    I limited the answer to A and E. But ended up choosing E (more white glass were made than were Han Purple) because this would mean that white glass wasn't discovered fortuitously during the making of Han Purple.

LOL a lot of the times it's only after-the-fact that the right answer starts making sense
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @lpadr009 said:
    But see @Pacifico I thought it was d because I thought "since they're easily obtainable, that increases the chances of people using it and making an accident happen". Ugh I hate questions like these where you can convince yourself of any answer to be true lol
    D I got rid of because you pretty much already know that they were easily obtainable since the white glass is commonly produced, so therefore saying it is easily obtainable doesn't really do anything to the argument.
    379 karma
    Ahhhh how did I not see that?
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    @c.janson35 Wow thanks a ton. I have been thinking about this question for days lol. You explained it perfectly.
  • imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

this question! i went with C (few people knew the technique...) thinking that if it happened by accident and was rare those that knew how to make han purple would have kept it a secret...

alas, A does the most to strengthen the argument by eliminating the possibility that they were made in separate regions. excellent learning opportunity to remember that removing roadblocks can be a great way to strengthen an argument!