Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consistency in RC

patwarren10patwarren10 Alum Member
edited August 2014 in Reading Comprehension 4 karma
In recent practice tests I have experienced some difficulty with consistency in Reading Comprehension. In some respects this section is a "wild card" of sorts for me in the sense that I had scored as well as only -3 in the section but will sometimes get as many as 8 questions incorrect. However, most times the majority of my incorrect answers come from the last passage that I do not get to fully engage. Has anyone had a similiar experience, and or have any suggestions for solving this issue?

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Hey patwarren10... I think this could be an issue of timing... are you spending more time on the earlier RC passages and feeling rushed towards the end? The latter PTs have tougher RC passages which take longer to read. If so, try Manhattan's RC guide and use their structure before you attempt another passage... it helped me. Also, try completing the sections with the maximum number of questions first... and then answer as many as you can with the last passage properly and after that, in the last couple of minutes, if any are left, shade in circles in the sheet... your RC score ought to be better as a whole.
    Hope this helps.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Quick question, I have noticed that a lot of people agree that the later PT's have harder RC passages. But, at what point does this shift in difficulty become evident? Or rather which PT is a clear example of how the difficulty has changed? ( I hope this makes sense)
    3438 karma
    Well I'd say from the tests that the curriculum has left untouched coz they are genetically most similar to what you are going to face... but 39 is the example of a hard RC section ( I think that is the PT that forms the hard RC lesson with 7sage) so from then onward as a rule of thumb I guess.
  • kellysmellykellysmelly Alum Member
    edited August 2014 84 karma
    For me, the introduction of the comparative reading passage made completing the RC more difficult. I think it is introduced around or about PT 50-60?

If anyone has advice on tackling the comparative reading passage I would love hearing your input.
    3438 karma
    There is a lesson in the Manhattan RC guide devoted especially to comparative passages.
  • kellysmellykellysmelly Alum Member
    84 karma
    Thanks! I will take a look at it :)

• chase62442chase62442 Alum Member
    79 karma
    Kelly- The main thing for comparative reading passages is figuring out how the passages relate to each other. What would the authors agree/disagree on, what is the point at issue between them (even though they are not responding to each other). Read the first passage carefully, and as you read the second passage you should be coming up with the answers to those questions: how does this passage relate to the last one, etc.