Harry Potter - Cursed Child Thread

stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
edited July 2016 in General 3197 karma
I know a while back we had a "Hamilton Thread" so with the release of the 8th Harry Potter story, I figured I would see if there were other Potterhead/folks 7Sagers out there. So just like the Hamilton thread, this is just for fun!

Whos excited? I usually read a new HP book (cover to cover) the night it comes out, but not sure if I will do that tonight. I'm actually getting the book delivered to my house between midnight and 2am (Thanks Amazon Prime Now). Im am currently waiting for 9:45 so I can place the order.

I plan to see play(s) (hopefully) in April in London as a part of my celebratory I am finally done with the LSAT Europe trip.

So a place for us the Potter fans.

PS fun fact, I was a volunteer moderator (Host Wtch Fawkes) on Harry Potter.com from 2001-2003 helping to moderate the boards. I was over Gryffindor and the Sorting Hat threads. Hey... can I put that on my resume @david.busis haha It was post college :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stepharizona I used to be a big Harry Potter fan. Admittedly I kind of fell off when I was in High school, but I still have all my books somewhere.
    I bet you'll have a blast going to London to see the play live. That sounds really dope actually.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Man we are so lucky we got to grow up with them. Wasn't planning on reading the new one but maybe I will have too. Go Harry!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I wrote a massive paper on Harry Potter in undergrad. I love kids/YA literature with layers, so things like Lion King and Brave Little Toaster that have this whole other side that's actually really dark and adult. What was so revolutionary about Harry Potter is that it didn't shield the young readers from it like everything before it. Kids have access to the darkness beneath the surface and I'm not sure that has happened to such an extent before or since. I just reread Goblet and Cedric's death is just so powerful. But the thing that makes it so brutal is its abruptness. Nothing actually happens. Cedric is alive and then he's dead. And there's nothing more to it than that, no purpose or meaning or attempt at explanation. It's as jarring a death as any in literature and there is absolutely nothing to blunt the impact for kids. Reading it as a kid or adult, it is devastating in exactly the same ways.

I read them all the exact same way @stepharizona . I still remember reading Deathly Hallows and at 3 am I told myself okay I'm going to finish this chapter then I have got to go to sleep. I turn the page on that chapter and what's the next chapter called? The Battle of Hogwarts. Lol. Needless to say, there is no way to stop reading at that point.

So jealous you're getting to see the play Steph.

Ravenclaw Rules!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    @stepharizona it could be a fun fact for the personal section, but I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

I also LOVE HP. Has anyone read the new book? Thoughts? Fun fact about me: I'm writing a YA fantasy that's totally influenced by Rowling.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited July 2016 3197 karma
    Its amazing @David.busis Jack Thorne did an terrific job. I cant beive the set direction, the live play must be a truly breathtaking theatrical achievement. I cant wait to hopefully see it.

Ha and good to know, I wasnt going to add it, but now I might ha.

My new goal is to read RC with as much passion :)

No spoilers #KeepTheSecret but who else has finished?
    27821 karma
    Haven’t gotten it yet @stepharizona . It’s already in my Amazon cart though, just waiting on July chattels!

So cool you’re working on that kind of project @david.busis . Such a challenging genre. Hope it’s good (and, of course, the darker the better) and I get to read it some day!
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    I loved Harry Potter growing up and wanted to be like Hermoine. :DD lol. But I don't know if I want to read about them all grown up. I think I am afraid to be disappointed by the story line, especially because I never thought Harry and Ginny had any real spark.
    27821 karma
    I just finished- late into the night, as is proper- Order of the Phoenix.
    https://media0.giphy.com/media/Ac2rKr9GavXos/giphy.gif
    You my boy Sirius:,(
    10774 karma
    I remember crying when Sirius died
  • cacrv567cacrv567 Alum Member
    171 karma
    also a big HP manic. If you loved HP, I would recommend the Magicians series. It is basically adult HP+Narnia woven into one amazing story.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2016 760 karma
    @david.busis YA Fantasy? ohh young adult. nice!
  • Anna MarieAnna Marie Alum Member
    210 karma
    I was lucky enough to see Cursed Child in London during previews, and oh man did it make me nostalgic. The technical aspects of the show are truly magical and the Ron/Hermione/Harry actors are fantastic. Also, the day I went to see the play I sat next to Emma Watson while getting a pedicure. Naturally, I was busy doing logic games and didn't notice it was her until she was leaving.
    27821 karma
    @MoralVacuum said:
    I was lucky enough to see Cursed Child in London during previews, and oh man did it make me nostalgic. The technical aspects of the show are truly magical and the Ron/Hermione/Harry actors are fantastic. Also, the day I went to see the play I sat next to Emma Watson while getting a pedicure. Naturally, I was busy doing logic games and didn't notice it was her until she was leaving.
    I hate you.
    10774 karma
    @MoralVacuum I am soooo jealous of you right now. <3

lol I have also tried to do logic games as well while trying to get a mani/pedi, It definitely annoyed the people working on me.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    This is my Fav I was studying for the LSAT and didn't notice... stories of all time...
    @MoralVacuum said:
    I was lucky enough to see Cursed Child in London during previews, and oh man did it make me nostalgic. The technical aspects of the show are truly magical and the Ron/Hermione/Harry actors are fantastic. Also, the day I went to see the play I sat next to Emma Watson while getting a pedicure. Naturally, I was busy doing logic games and didn't notice it was her until she was leaving
  • Anna MarieAnna Marie Alum Member
    210 karma
    @stepharizona haha, it was definitely one of those "lsac destroys my life yet again" moments. But, I feel as though Hermione Granger would approve, so at least I have that. *50 points for gryffindor*
    27821 karma
    Hermione would totally approve.
    27821 karma
    So I've had the Marauder's Map sitting in my Amazon wish list for forever, and just saw it's been discontinued! Luckily, they're not sold out yet, so, mischief managed!
    27821 karma
    Half Blood Prince down. Goddamn, I forgot how dark these books get. Ugh. Starting Deathly Hallows now. At this rate I'll finish Cursed Child by gray day, which was not the plan, lol.