Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Productivity Apps

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
edited August 2016 in General 10774 karma
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if this thread exists but I thought I would make one. I am really into apps that help me stay productive, organized, allow me to see the tasks I am working on, as well as how long I have stayed productive in a day. Please feel free to suggest any apps that help you all stay effective and focused on LSAT. :)

1. Trello: This is my #1 site. I have a board for LSAT and Habbits (LSAT) that I like to implement. Because LSAT can have so many components,LR,LG, RC, drills, PT, etc, it was hard sometimes for me to know the different things I was working on. I used to feel pretty stressed about keeping tabs on everything I need to work on and scheduling those things. This helps me visually see everything, schedule key drills on days, etc. Plus you can color code things. It's pretty damn good. The only drawback is that somehow my google and apple calendar don't automatically update when I make changes to my Trello calendar. This makes it hard for me to see everything LSAT related on a calendar unless I am logged in to Trello or I manually re-post my link on my calendars. P.S. I have the free account, and it works great. Anyone can make it.

2. Pomello: This keeps track of the hours I study on LSAT. This helps me see clearly the hours I have been productive in a day. The best thing about it is that you can log in Pomello your Trello account and you can access your boards. So you don't have to enter everything twice, and you can see how long you worked on something. It also schedules break for you, etc. I have only recently started using Pomello, so I don't see any drawbacks yet.

3. Stay Focused: I love this website. I have a hard time with staying off facebook etc. So I use this site to block it. You can just google this, and add it to your chrome. The best thing about this is that you can set the time you allow yourself on these websites. I have basically allowed myself 30 minutes total in a day surfing the websites. But you can change it. So its not a complete withdrawal from social life, but it is helpful in setting a limit for myself the time I am allowed to waste on them. :)

4. Productive: I have this app on my phone. It helps you develop a good habit. On a free account, you can have upto 5 habits that you would like to work on, which I think is plenty. I think one habit at a time is the best way to go because its hard to change as a person. It's extremely simple, gives you notifications, you can mark it complete, skip it, take notes etc. For example, I wanted to make it a habit to read an article from Scientific American before going to bed every night. It wasn't easy, but wanting to see my habit in the app go green helped me develop the habit of reading at least an article per night.

5. Flux: I thought I would add this, even though it's not a productivity app. You can download this app from google and it basically uses your location to adjust the brightness of the screen. So in the morning or at night you are not facing this harsh blue screen. It makes looking at the laptop any time of the day easy on the eyes and I think it helps in my eyes not feeling as tired. This is particularly helpful because I am always on my laptop, 7 sage or anything else. So I recommend it.

If you have any other apps or sites that help you stay productive please let me know. I am sucker for them because they are so helpful :)

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    Neat! I think I'm going to give 1. and 2. a try and get back to you :)

I'm not too big on apps lol I'm pretty old school but one "app" that I absolutely love is "Self Control" on Macs. It's basically an app that is similiar to Stay Focused but in my opinion way way WAY more strict ( I sadly need this type of strictness in my life lol) you set the timer (up to one day) and you put a list of websites you wish to block for that duration. Once you click "start" there's no going back haha, I love it, its helped me a ton when studying.
    Since I don't use apps often, I looooove weekly desk planners. I love writing down what I need to do for the week and seeing them all crossed off at the end of the week...the satisfaction is way too real haha. I tend to just use cute planners I find at Target but I recently ordered one from the Law School vlogger LillyLikeCom (http://suppliedbylily.com/product/supplied-by-lily-student-desk-planner/ and I'm excited to get it in a few weeks or so. She's super organized and has the same love for desk planners as myself lol - my favorite part of her planner is that the weeks/days aren't numbered so any week you are on vacation or just aren't studying, you can save for when you return :) check it out!
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@montaha.rizeq ooh nice. I checked the planners out, I really like them. I used to be really into them but now that I basically study at Starbucks and library, I feel like I want to keep everything electronic just because I am so much on the move.

I tried finding "self control" on mac and I didn't see it. Is this app the same as "One focus". The problem with the app that I have, stay focused, is that it only works on Chrome and not Safari. So if I REALLY want to I can circumvent it, I can. But thankfully most days I don't go to the trouble of doing it. I would love to have an app that blocks me completely on my MAC from web-surfing.
    11542 karma
    @Motivated said:
    Is this app the same as "One focus
    Nope, here it is: https://selfcontrolapp.com/ the best part is that it doesn't have to be downloaded to work on one type of engine, so no matter if you're on chrome or safari or whatever, it still will make sure those websites are not accessed during the alloted time :)

Oh forgot to mention another extension I like using, it's called "momentum" in hindsight it's kind of pointless, but it gives you a nice simplistic view of the goal(s) and todo(s) you'd like to achieve that day. Plus every hour it gives you a new breathtaking picture of some amazing scenery (I love to travel). So basically everytime you open a new chrome tab, it greets you and has the list of things you wish to accomplish that day, and it has an inspiring quote daily which I love....is it not painfully obvious how basic I can be about these things? lol
    Anyway if you wish to check it out, here's the link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/momentum/laookkfknpbbblfpciffpaejjkokdgca?hl=en
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq I got self control now and Its freaking amazing!!!! It blocks my Safari as well. Also, I have the option of putting a time limit for blocking apps. I am really excited. I have it set on my dock now. So anytime I am about to study, I can just click it and start the timer on. :) Thank you so much!!!!! I have been looking for an app that blocked Safari for a while now :)

Also, I checked Momentum out and its integrated with Trello :) So I am super happy. Thank you.
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    yay! I'm so glad it worked out for you! happy studying :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Motivated Nice! I have definitely used Trello and synced it with Productive in the past...

One app I love is the Pomodoro App. I love it just because it helps me keep track of hours worked and gives me my breaks planned out. It helps a lot more than you know to have it sort of automated. I found when I don'e use it I would end up studying longer but taking wayyyy longer breaks, lol.

Right now I set it to about 45 minutes of work and 15 minute breaks. You can change it to whatever though. It also keeps track weekly of hours done/ breaks taken. It is nice to see your work and adjust it accordingly.

Also, it's free! :)

• corro949corro949 Member
    15 karma
    Thanks!!!! This is really helpful.
    edited August 2016 10774 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I have used the the Pomodoro timer before and Pomello, I think, is by the same company; They both have the red apple looking logo and I actually think they do the same thing, except Pomello lets me sync it with Trello which already has my planned and progress list that I can use to start working on. Just like Pomodora it allows me to set timer and plan timed breaks for 5 or 15 minutes. :)

P.S. I just checked Pomello's description and it says; Pomello turns Trello tasks into Pomodoro's tasks : ) So there you go. :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I’ll have to check some of these out. Someone was telling me about one where like if you get on the internet before you’re supposed to they’ll kill a tree or something. But if you keep off it, they’ll plant one. The power is yours!
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thats pretty funny. Let me know if you ever find it. :)
    27809 karma
    Found it @Motivated . The app is Forest, and you plant the seed on your phone and it slowly grows. If you leave the app before it grows all the way, the tree dies. So they only kill your app trees, but apparently they do plant real trees. I guess that’s probably for the best.
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" haha yeah, it would be pretty messed up if they cut the tree because I left. I would feel pretty bad. I am definitely going to check it out. Thanks :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Motivated Exactly! I happen to find these types of apps really useful... I'm glad you are using a lot of them too. I think my favorite part about them is looking back and seeing all the work I put in. It's nice to feel gratified while studying for the LSAT, especially since this test often isn't gratifying on a day to day basis, lol.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    The app is Forest, and you plant the seed on your phone and it slowly grows. If you leave the app before it grows all the way, the tree dies. So they only kill your app trees, but apparently they do plant real trees. I guess that’s probably for the best.
    Whaaaaa? I am definitely going to check this out! That might be one of the coolest apps I have ever heard of!
    27809 karma
    @Motivated said:
    yeah, it would be pretty messed up if they cut the tree because I left.
    Now I’m just imaging a parody app with kittens.
    Now, that would be effective.
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" aww haha totally. Super Effective. Can you imagine as soon as you want to surf the web or something a kitten pops up saying "are you sure you want to leave me?". I would be like "never!" and keep studying <3
    10774 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I definitely like seeing it at the end of the day all the time I have put in LSAT. It's super gratifying, except the days I don't and that's when I am like, "What in the world was I doing all day!!!". lol Panic Panic
    11542 karma
    @Motivated said:
    uses your location to adjust the brightness of the screen.
    Hm, does this work better than manually adjusting your screen? and does it sometimes mistake a low light environment for an environment you'd want more lighting in? See this is why I'm old school with technology sometimes lol.
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq aww. I totally understand. I think it works better than manual, for ex if you open your laptop in the morning, it adjusts it automatically because it knows what time of day it is without us facing a single blue glare. Also, it constantly adjusts your screen light depending on how much light is in your room. I would suggest giving it a go, you'll like it :)
    11542 karma
    @Motivated said:
    I would suggest giving it a go
    I'm going to install it now!
    11542 karma
    Ok, this "dark room' feature is too real lol @Motivated
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq yaaay! Let me know how it goes.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Now I’m just imaging a parody app with kittens.
    Haha! That is so funny because I was also thinking of kittens for a parody account. I didn't want to say it though because I was scared people would think I'm a monster, lol.
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I just assumed everyone was thinking it. I’ll embrace the darkness within so that the rest of you don’t have to, lol!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Super helpful, thanks! I just downloaded trello, and im going to give Stay Focused a try too.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I love Trello! I use it for everything really, but it was especially helpful for LSAT studying and law school applications. I feel that I only use it in a basic way though, if anyone has favorite features I would love to hear how you use it.
    10774 karma
    @nanchito. Yaay. I hope it works out for you. BTW instead of "Stay Foused" try "self control". @montaha.rizeq recommended it and I am seriously in love with it. I have a mac and "stay focused" would not block Safari.
    10774 karma
    @allison.gill.sanford said:
    if anyone has favorite features I would love to hear how you use it.
    Me too. I would love to know how to use it more efficiently, especially for LSAT.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    @Motivated When I first read that I thought you meant actual self-control and I was like " but I have none" lol. I'll do that.
    10774 karma
    @nanchito lol. Me either :DDDD
    11542 karma
    @nanchito said:
    " but I have none"
    My life.
    11542 karma
    @Motivated , have you noticed your battery draining faster when using Flux?
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq; honestly I never noticed it. :(
    11542 karma
    Hmm ok. Maybe I'm just being paranoid haha. I'm in need of a new laptop. I told myself once I get accepted into law school I'd get a new one as a gift to myself haha! But so far I like the app, you're right it's super convenient :D
  • diefor170diefor170 Member
    129 karma
    Thank you for sharing
    10774 karma
    @montaha.rizeq aww lol You may be right, but it could be the app as well. But if it's draining too much battery see if deleting the application might help :) :)
    10774 karma
    @diefor170 of course. :) Your welcome.
    11542 karma
    @Motivated Guuuuurl, you da bomb.com! I'm loving the flux app...I've used it for 2 days now and I'm loving how the screen looks when it's night. I used to feel pain in my eyes at night after looking at the screen even after dimming but with flux I feel none of that. Thanks :D
    10774 karma
    aww yaaaay. I am so glad you are loving it @montaha.rizeq . I feel the same way. My eyes actually used to hurt after a couple of hours on the lap top but now, its soo much easier to look and do stuff on my lap top especially early in the morning and at night.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    F.lux is great as long as you're not an artist! Just remember to disable it if you do indeed partake in the arts.
  • theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma
    @Motivated hey just started using pomello, pretty cool kinda loving it, thank you ;)
    27809 karma
    Working on developing mine:

Puh-puh-puh-puhlease don’t check fb or the bad man will hurt me:(