Numbers/Maths Issues in LR

pi34pi34 Free Trial Member
Hopefully, this makes some sense. Keep in mind, I am using the term math very loosely.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone is aware of a resource that gets into numbers/maths issues in LR. Some examples would be percentages versus numbers [fairly frequent], greater than or equal to vs. less than, etc. One I saw recently was that the stimulus establishes that revenues were equal to fees and other revenues. If costs exceed the sum both [A>B+C], costs must be greater than either individual component. Now, I get that it is relatively obvious math, but, when doing LR questions, these kind of make me fumble more than they should. I am trying to find any resources that sort of do an overview of frequent math/number related issues on LR.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping so someone sees and answers your question.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    Before coming to 7Sage, I did read a chapter in Powerscore LR Bible that dealt specifically with percentages and number issues. However, since coming over to 7Sage, I have learnt that many of the methods that powerscore uses are wayyyyyy too mechanical and your mind automatically rejects them after revisiting the same topics in the 7Sage curriculum.

The best way would be to try as many LR questions as possible and you are bound to encounter some of these kind of questions. In such cases, BR the hell out of them and you will find that by doing so, your mind will open up to these concepts.
  • pi34pi34 Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    Thanks - I appreciate it. Sorry that I hadn't responded to this sooner. I've gotten a fairly good grasp on them at this point.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I approve this message lol. @notwilliamwallace
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I agree with what PowerScore offers.

Like you, math tends to trip me up. Luckily, the number/math related problems in LR are very similar to each other (e.g. whole number v. percentage, two different uses for most applied to two different number categories). While these stalled my time in the past, the number/math related problems are refreshing to see, because of how frequently they rely on a very small set of problem/flaw types. As already suggested, running across them and BRing them will help tremendously. Even if you don't explicitly pin down what these questions are doing (you should), you will likely pick up the similarities implicitly. Like Logic Games, these LR questions are more mechanical than they seem.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Agreed with other posters that the flaws for the number related stimuli tend to be centered on percentage to part fallacies. But i did notice that these types of stimuli do not tend to show up as much in the more recent PTs.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma
    I wish there were an option to sort for these in the question bank. I was trying to make a drill for these awhile back and I had to do it the old fashioned way.

But yeah, if you see enough of them they basically all test the same thing. Just remember that percentage and actually quantities have a very loose relationship. Without having to think about it, we’d all choose 1% of $1,000,000,000 over 50% $1,000. What they do is leave out the numbers the percentages are taking from and hope that we fall for the 50%. They repackage this same thing in different ways so you just have to learn how to recognize it.