Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for test anxiety ?

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
edited August 2016 in General 652 karma
Test day feels like it is approaching fast and to be honest, this anxiety is unbearable. I am where I want to be when it comes to practice test but I am a nervous wreck on the inside. I have even considered pushing back my test to the December date

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @combsni said:
    I have even considered pushing back my test to the December date
    Why would you do that if you're scoring well on your PTs?
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @montaha.rizeq to ease my anxiety. I'm worried that my anxiety will affect my scores
    11542 karma
    Hmm...the only thing I can say about this is usually what makes people feel less tense about test day is that they have been taking PTs that were a few points or so above their target score, I'm not sure why this hasn't helped you relax a bit about taking the actual exam? Maybe try visiting the test center and get a feel of where you will be taking the LSAT. Make a mental note of where to park your car, what you'll wear, what you'll eat, and most importantly: remember how well you've been doing on the PTs and how hard you worked to get to where you are. The good thing about this exam is the more we expose ourselves to the PTs, the more we know what to expect on test day. You'll have 5 sections, 15 min break, roughly 100 questions. What I'm trying to say is this is not foreign to you. I think the only time you should postpone is if your PTs demonstrate you need more practice. I don't want you postponing and worrying more and more about this test when you have already achieved your score goal in essence. I think this will do more harm than good.
  • ay_fegetaboutitay_fegetaboutit Alum Member
    116 karma
    Know you can always take in December. September is just a realistic PT for December
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    If this is your first time taking the test remember that you'll have the option of taking the test again if you're unsatisfied with your score. You're right, this is an important test, but you get 3 chances! This isn't a job interview, Super Bowl game, etc where you only really get one chance. Be thankful and look at the test as an opportunity, not an obligation. When I say this I don't mean to downplay the test at all, I just think this mindset is super helpful since you can just treat the real test as a PT.
    You may also wanna try some beta-blockers. I got a doctor to prescribe some but didn't end up using them on test-day since they made me feel tired. Some people swear by them though.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @combsni said:
    I am where I want to be
    You are prepared. There is nothing they can throw at you you’ve never seen before. You’ve done the work, you are scoring where you want to be, and that means you’re ready. You have every reason to be confident, so you’ve just got to mentally embrace the fact that you are ready and allow yourself to feel some confidence from that. What more could anyone ask for than to be where they want to be? You got this.

• combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Thank you guys !
    11542 karma
    @combsni said:
    Thank you guys !
    Welcome! and all the best for September :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    I have really terrible anxiety and my medication makes me groggy and makes it hard to focus. So I am currently not taking it for the LSAT. Which only now makes it worse, so I really get what you are going through.

Check out this awesome webinar @Pacifico gave. It really was helpful because it explains WHY you may be feeling this way and what you can do to counter it and in some cases use it to help you. Worth watching every minute....

I cannot tell you how much this helped me.. I hope it helps you as well.

https://7sage.com/webinar/managing-stress/

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Also, I found this blog that may aid you as well.

https://7sage.com/five-strategies-for-combating-lsat-anxiety/