Registered for Sep LSAT but not done with CC - should I postpone to Dec?

Dark Knight VDark Knight V Member
in General 194 karma
I'm currently registered for the Sep. '16 LSAT, but am only 65% of the way done with the Ultimate+ Core Curriculum (~80hrs left, started Grouping Games lessons yesterday). I decided to not work and am studying full time (goal of 30hrs/wk), but am worried that if I stick with the Sep. 24 test date I'll only have about 4 weeks to do PTs after finishing CC.

I definitely want to get 170+ on the test, and my diagnostic was a 157 (168 BR).

Based on similar threads and advice here, it sounds like I should postpone to December - I'd still be able to apply this cycle, and would have more time to ensure a higher score. I was originally planning to wait until finishing the CC and seeing how I did on PTs to make a decision, but I think it may behoove me to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Just want to check my reasoning and get thoughts from the community. Thank you!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    No doubt postpone! You want to give adequate time for PTs
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Dark Knight V" said:
    Based on similar threads and advice here, it sounds like I should postpone to December - I'd still be able to apply this cycle, and would have more time to ensure a higher score. I was originally planning to wait until finishing the CC and seeing how I did on PTs to make a decision, but I think it may behoove me to make a decision sooner rather than later.
    You got it right! I can't think of any reason NOT to postpone, at least until December.

The September test is going to pressure you to go through the CC way too fast and not give yourself the time you need to take advantage of all the course has to offer. Don't rush through the CC just to get to PTs. Take you time and make sure you really understand everything. One thing that has been working for me is not moving forward to a new lesson until I feel I have 100% mastered the previous lesson. Took me a week to get through MSS questions, but I'll tell you what, now I always get them right! They're essentially free points on the test :) We should strive to make all question types feel that way! That's my philosophy anyways.... lol

4 Weeks PT'ing is like 7-8 PTs. That is no where near enough for most gunning for a 170! I think students should take a minimum of 15-25 PTs. Most people I know of who scored a 170+ took ~30+ before they were consistently hitting the 170s...

You have a great diagnostic, so I have no doubt you can score a 170 ---- It just might take a bit longer than planned, and that's a-OK.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Yep, take as much time as you need to finish the curriculum, then start pting. Now that im thinking about it, Id advise you to sign up for the test at the very last minute. Last min as in you feel good about your abilities you're scoring above your target score for the last few pts, feeling healthy mentally, and the deadline for a certain test is in like a little over a month haha. the pressure to hit a certain target when you're not ready, or anxious about getting it over with can be debilitating and incredibly stressful. Until then keep your eye on a score n try to forget about when you're going to take the test.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    yes
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    but I'll tell you what, now I always get them right!
    Too legit to quit haha, this is truly the best feeling ever...and this is the result of not rushing through CC.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Too legit to quit haha, this is truly the best feeling ever...and this is the result of not rushing through CC.
    Haha! I won't lie, it takes forever and a lot of patience, but it is so worth it. Especially when trying to master logical reasoning type questions.

And YES, it is the best feeling to see a question type and be like "I got this"

11542 karma
    LOOOL can't go wrong with a George Lopez GIF. I read it in his voice too hahaha @"Alex Divine"
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @"Dark Knight V" absolutely postpone!! I'm in the same boat. Was originally shooting for September, but am really taking my time with the CC to let it sink in, and I'm at about 75% done with it. I want to make sure I have enough times to power through a bunch of PTs before the real deal!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    No doubt postpone!
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    You got it right! I can't think of any reason NOT to postpone
    @nanchito said:
    Yep
    @BruiserWoods said:
    yes
    @jennilynn89 said:
    absolutely postpone!!
  • CoolPrezCoolPrez Alum Member
    18 karma
    Thank you. I feel like your post and this feed was a sign that I should also postpone. I feel like I have the potential to master this test, but like you, it's just taking me too much time. Each question or lesson I take as much time as it takes in order to really understand it. For example, it took me a week or two to get through Sequencing Games.
    I haven't completed LG yet--or even started RC--and I have a little left for LR, so I definitely won't have the proper amount of time to take PT's or BR. So, I think that I may postpone till December as well.
    I really want to buy into the idea that you should take the test once for your best score no matter how much time it takes. However I don't know if the tradeoff of early admission by taking in September vs. late admission by taking in December but maybe a better score will be worth it. What are y'alls thoughts?

The rub is that(like many others here) I go to college and there will be many things happening throughout the semester that I feel might hinder my learning or time. Has anyone had experience with studying during a Fall semester?
  • Dark Knight VDark Knight V Member
    194 karma
    Thanks for the advice everyone! The test is December 3 - does anyone know when scores should be out?
    @CoolPrez unless for whatever reason you can't hold off on applying later on, postponing for a better score is ALWAYS the superior choice. By the way unless you're considering applying ED for a school, December LSAT isn't late at all.
    11542 karma
    @"Dark Knight V" roughly 3 weeks after Dec 3rd
  • joel_y12joel_y12 Member
    4 karma
    Wait you can not postpone now without losing out on your $180 dollars can you?
  • blah blahblah blah Alum Member
    edited August 2016 111 karma
    @joel_y12 Believe the deadline is August 30th
    @"joel_y12" said:
    Wait you can not postpone now without losing out on your $180 dollars can you?
    You can get a $50 refund when withdrawing and it costs $90 if you want to change the test date.