December vs. February LSAT - what's everyone's opinion?

jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
in General 822 karma
Hey everyone!

I'm currently studying to take the December LSAT, and am at about 75% through the CC (will have studied for a little less than a year by December) and am really trying to let it sink in as much as possible and have been taking my time with it.
I'd love to be ready by December, but know that it's better to set yourself a goal score and not an LSAT ultimatum.

Is anyone studying for December with a February retake in mind? This December would be my second take, and February would be my third and final.
Most school's I've talked to (at the D.C. LSAC Forum) stated that they still accept the February LSAT score and it didn't sound like it would be too crazy detrimental to my application process.
Know anyone that took the February LSAT with a happy application outcome?

Suggestions? Ideas?

Comments

• quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    611 karma
    Something to keep in mind is that the February test is undisclosed. So if February is going to be your second take, you won't know which questions you missed and whatnot. This might matter if you end up waiting an application cycle for a third take. On the other hand, if the February test is your third take, it won't really matter that it's undisclosed.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    It seems like you're in good shape for December, but you won't really know until October/November when you're in the PT phase. Feb LSAT is becoming more popular (although it's the only undisclosed LSAT) because more schools are accepting them for the same cycle but do keep in mind that this may result in less chance of good scholarship money from schools because they would have been making offers for at least 4 months prior.
    11542 karma
    My suggestion is to keep your December date, if you find you still need way more time to focus on CC in the coming months, then postpone instead of wasting a take and money.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I’d also ask yourself, when it comes down to it, what are you going to do if your score isn’t what you want? Would opting for delaying until next cycle be an option for you, or are you applying this cycle regardless of your score? If waiting out another year is absolutely not an option, you may as well go ahead with it. If delaying a cycle is an option, I’d want to save at least one take and be 100% positive I was ready before taking December.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    If waiting out another year is absolutely not an option, you may as well go ahead with it. If delaying a cycle is an option, I’d want to save at least one take and be 100% positive I was ready before taking December.
    Yeah, if you absolutely have to apply this cycle, might as well go for broke. But really be honest and make sure you MUST apply this cycle... Not just being impatient.

• jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @quinnxzhang @"Cant Get Right" @"Alex Divine"

Thank you all so much for your input! I already delayed a year (took the 2015 LSAT and was not properly prepared and Game 3 ruined me along other fatal fundamental flaws) and if I don't absolutely have to, I really, really do not want to delay another year. So either way I am definitely planning on shooting for December and then maybe February if I feel like I have to. But I'll definitely have to see where I am PT-wise in November and will have to go from there.

A lot of school's I've talked to mentioned that they do not send out the majority of their scholarships offers until about March timeframe, and that a February LSAT would not be detrimental to my application cycle, but I was wondering if they are just trying to get me to apply regardless (they were T2/T3 schools).
    11542 karma
    @jennilynn89 I know what you mean. I also took an LSAT thinking I'd apply that cycle but I was so disappointed in my score I wanted to take again. I sat for the Feb 2016 LSAT and scored poorly yet again. Now that I'm using the 7sage curriculum I understand the value of studying for at least a year even if that means sitting out on ANOTHER cycle lol. I graduated in 2015 thinking I'd start law school in the fall of 2016, it's funny how our future is almost always planned out differently than what we envision but in the long run you realize it's for the best. If the second cycle thing was truly getting to my head, I'd rush into taking the LSAT in December but I refuse to do that. I know what a high score can open doors to for my application and if that means prolonging my LSAT date so be it.
  • pauline.syrnikpauline.syrnik Free Trial Member
    16 karma
    I would highly recommend against taking the LSAT this February if you are applying this cycle. Even though the admissions people will tell you that it won't be detrimental, it really is. There job is basically to get as many people to apply, so that they could deny a larger pool (to keep their stats high). Since it is rolling admissions, most spots will be filled by the time you get your February score back. If you want scholarship money, then totally forget it because there will be none left for you. It simply would be given away by that point. The December test is even viewed as a bit risky, but if you apply right away then you should be fine. If you are going to take February I would just wait to apply, and possibly just take it at a later date (since you'll have the time).
    11542 karma
    @pauline.syrnik said:
    There job is basically to get as many people to apply, so that they could deny a larger pool (to keep their stats high).
    Lol, word.
    @pauline.syrnik said:
    If you want scholarship money, then totally forget it because there will be none left for you.
    Well, maybe this is true for HYS, but schools just below t14 or even t20 and below will still have money to give, just not as much. We have to remember that applications are at an all time low so there's more money to go around essentially.
  • pauline.syrnikpauline.syrnik Free Trial Member
    16 karma
    Hm that may be true. Still by March a lot of the money is gone (if that is when you are applying). Since scores come back around then, it really is difficult to get money unless your score is really above what the school normally accepts. It's really unfortunate that they aren't more open about it all.
    11542 karma
    @pauline.syrnik said:
    Since scores come back around then, it really is difficult to get money unless your score is really above what the school normally accepts.
    I agree! I guess the end result is apply with Feb score only if you absolutely must apply that cycle...otherwise sit out until the next cycle and just work on your essays, resume etc :)